Quantcast

sound_program setting not working/used

Michelle Dupuis-2

I'm having trouble playing audio on my new mrhouse installation. I use pulseaudio, and I can succesfully play a sound file (logged in as root) as follows:

padsp play ./../sounds/sound_click1.wav

But when mrhouse tries to play audio I see an error in the log:

ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
play FAIL formats: can't open output file `default': snd_pcm_open error: Connection refused

which is strange because my mh.private.ini contains:

sound_program=padsp play

Can someone suggest how to fix this?

Re: sound_program setting not working/used

Michelle Dupuis-2

Solved that error (pulseaudio daemon not running).  So now the error is gone, but...

There is no sound!  And no error message.

When I play the click1.wav file from the command line I hear it.  When MH plays it there is no audio.  Is there a value setting I'm missing, or some other explanation?

Re: sound_program setting not working/used

John-778

I am pretty sure the pulseaudio daemon needs to run as same user that is executing the play command.   I am not sure how you got the pulseaudio daemon running but check that.

Also note that if you use the pulseaudio gui to change settings that also needs to be run as that same owner.

I don't use pulseaudio from mh but my situation is sort of similar (I use the Music Player Daemon).   Getting the right owner for both took a while to get right.

John

On 01/19/2017 05:07 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

Solved that error (pulseaudio daemon not running).  So now the error is gone, but...

There is no sound!  And no error message.

When I play the click1.wav file from the command line I hear it.  When MH plays it there is no audio.  Is there a value setting I'm missing, or some other explanation?

Re: sound_program setting not working/used

Michelle Dupuis-2

My mistake - the connection refused error still exists.

I run pulsedaemon in 'system' mode (for all users to use).  I can plan sounds as 'root', 'nobody', etc...

Just MH can play the sounds, so I suspect something in MH is launching the 'play' app differently...or something like that

Re: sound_program setting not working/used

Michelle Dupuis-2

Here's a clue that hopefully will allow someone to figure this out.  The connection problem still exists, but when I change the ​sound_program to "sudo paplay" then it works!!  So it has something to do with the account MH runs under.

Using 'ps axu' I can see MH is running as root (or at least that perl instance is).  Does MH switch permissions/users to a locked down account?