remote access (telnet or jabber or something else)

remote access (telnet or jabber or something else)

mtmigs
I finally got MH able to control the Insteon devices. My PLM was bad.

Now I am trying to get other Internet devices to control them.

I can open a telnet to port 1234 (the default ini setting) but all it does is repeat back whatever I type. Even the commands exit, bye, and ctrl-D simply get echoed when I press enter. If MH is not running the telnet does not connect so I know MH is responding to my "telnet localhost 1234" connection.

I know several computer languages but not perl. In the telnet.pl I see things about welcome, password, and user but when I connect I get no welcome or request for a user or password.

Is there something else required?

Re: remote access (telnet or jabber or something else)

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello mtmigs,

yes, this is not completely clear from the documentation, but in order to enable the Telnet interface you need to enable the common code file ‘telnet.pl’.

As soon as you do that you will get a prompt at port 1234.

Depending on your security settings you will need to authenticate (using ‘login’) and then you can pass commands.

Best regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 30 jul. 2016, om 00:57 heeft mtmigs <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I finally got MH able to control the Insteon devices. My PLM was bad.
>
> Now I am trying to get other Internet devices to control them.
>
> I can open a telnet to port 1234 (the default ini setting) but all it does
> is repeat back whatever I type. Even the commands exit, bye, and ctrl-D
> simply get echoed when I press enter. If MH is not running the telnet does
> not connect so I know MH is responding to my "telnet localhost 1234"
> connection.
>
> I know several computer languages but not perl. In the telnet.pl I see
> things about welcome, password, and user but when I connect I get no welcome
> or request for a user or password.
>
> Is there something else required?

Re: remote access (telnet or jabber or something else)

mtmigs
Hello Lieven Hollevoet,

Thank you for answering the question. I just have one additional
problem. I can program in quite a few computer languages but perl is not
one of them. How do I "enable the common code file 'telnet.pl'"? Is
there a master list of code files and I need to add that one?

Sincerely,
Ted

Lieven Hollevoet wrote:

> Hello mtmigs,
>
> yes, this is not completely clear from the documentation, but in order to enable the Telnet interface you need to enable the common code file ‘telnet.pl’.
>
> As soon as you do that you will get a prompt at port 1234.
>
> Depending on your security settings you will need to authenticate (using ‘login’) and then you can pass commands.
>
> Best regards,
>  Lieven.
>
>> Op 30 jul. 2016, om 00:57 heeft mtmigs <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> I finally got MH able to control the Insteon devices. My PLM was bad.
>>
>> Now I am trying to get other Internet devices to control them.
>>
>> I can open a telnet to port 1234 (the default ini setting) but all it does
>> is repeat back whatever I type. Even the commands exit, bye, and ctrl-D
>> simply get echoed when I press enter. If MH is not running the telnet does
>> not connect so I know MH is responding to my "telnet localhost 1234"
>> connection.
>>
>> I know several computer languages but not perl. In the telnet.pl I see
>> things about welcome, password, and user but when I connect I get no welcome
>> or request for a user or password.
>>
>> Is there something else required?

Re: remote access (telnet or jabber or something else)

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello Ted,

MisterHouse comes with a set of code ‘modules’ that can be enabled or disabled if you want to use certain functionality.

Those modules can be enabled:

* via the web interface (click on Mr House Home > Setup MisterHouse > Common Code activation). If you enabled authentication you will need to authenticate as admin first.
* via the command line: edit the file in your ‘data’ directory called ‘code_select.txt’ to add the line ‘telnet.pl’ there. Restart Misterhouse to ensure the file gets loaded. To see how to configure your data directory, please see https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Getting-started#recommended-way-to-install-misterhouse

Best regards,
 Lieven.