no space on BeagleBone uSD

peter-469
Greetings all,

I have begun to use the pattern put forward here:
https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/BeagleBoneBlack to get MH up and
running in my home.

I started with an 8G uSD card thinking I would have ample room for the MH install
but this appears not to be the case. I know I can (and eventually will) use a
bigger card - esp. to facilitate wear leveling - but for the moment, I would like
to pare away excess. That will allow me to make a better informed choice of final
card size.

Using this [ bone-debian-7.4-2014-03-04-2gb.img.xz } image and following the
instructions I have encountered no space error msg. when making directory for MH.
I was able to recover some space this way:

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get clean

debian@beaglebone:~$ df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs           1582864 1402980     97812  94% /
udev               10240       0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs             101832     552    101280   1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2   1582864 1402980     97812  94% /
tmpfs             254580       0    254580   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs             254580       0    254580   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs             102400       0    102400   0% /run/user
tmpfs               5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1     98094   70514     27580  72% /boot/uboot
debian@beaglebone:~$

This helped but only a little as you can see.

I am wondering if anyone knows a quick (easy) way to lighten substantially this
deb distribution? I would prefer not to stray far from the trail already broken so
aptly. A server version with no GUI might be an option but I haven't found one. I
can manage without the GUI well enough and want to be able to use the I/O pins
HDMI interferes with anyway. I also need to find out how to back out this [install
DBI] properly which will help. I haven't taken time to find command - soon...

I did encounter several discontinuities during the install process as follows:

While doing this :  apt-get install tk-dev ntp libgd-graph-perl libio-compress-perl

I encountered this :
.
.
.
Unpacking libgd-graph-perl (from .../libgd-graph-perl_1.44-6_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
/usr/bin/mandb: can't write to /var/cache/man/6467: No space left on device
Setting up libcompress-raw-bzip2-perl (2.052-1) ...
.
.
.
But other than that this step completed without complaint.

I also encountered this:

force install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running Build for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.56.tar.gz
   Has already been unwrapped into directory /root/.cpan/build/GD-2.56-iEVuAn
   '/usr/bin/perl Build.PL --installdirs site' returned status 512, won't make
Running Build test
   Make had some problems, won't test
Running Build install
   Make had some problems, won't install

And this:

install DBD::mysql

Appeared to fail to install correctly. First error line [Can't exec
"mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 70.].

Any hints on 'extra' stuff I need to do when backing out failed commands, insights
on uSD storage needed in the end and how to lighten system will be appreciated.

For my configuration I plan on keeping the MH core operating through power losses
running from a large(ish) deep cycle battery. I want MH core to monitor
temperatures in cold storage and house as well as charge state of battery. Then
start Genset (separate battery) to keep temperatures within limits and the system
alive. Depending on power budget, I may monitor several contacts etc. as well. For
this reason, I do not want to use the NAS option in the example - except for log
storage. I don't know yet how I will handle logs during power loss conditions... I
also am of the opinion that making MH dependent on another system (NAS) for
baseline operation is asking for trouble. If MH can use NAS while NAS is there as
it's disk and when NAS disappears, switch to uSD that would be acceptable but I
don't think that could happen without a restart of MH which inevitably will occur
at a bad time (power is out, UPS and NAS are shutting down etc.). At any rate that
would be well beyond my abilities to set up!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any insights offered.

Regards,

Peter

Re: no space on BeagleBone uSD

dbemowsk
Don't know if it will help at all, but I have my MH setup running on a Raspberry PI which is similar to the BBB.  When I originally started with MH on the PI, I had it running Raspbian on an 8GB SD card and it worked fine.  I do not run an X-window, but that is mainly for performance reasons and the fact that I mostly SSH into it. I now have it running from an external hard drive with a USB IDE converter using the SD only for the initial boot.  You shouldn't have to do that though.

Looking at your df output (BTW, "df -h" is a little easier to read), it is showing that you are full.  94% would pretty much be considered full which is why it is telling you you are out of space.  Looking at the filename for the image, it looks like it should be a 2GB image which should give you ~6GB of space for perl and MH to be installed.  Is there currently anything in your home folder?  Try doing a "sudo du -csh /home/" and see if it shows any space being used.

Worst case you may have to get a bigger uSD card, but you still want to find out what is eating all your space.

Dan B.

On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 22:34 -0500, peter wrote:
[...]

mathewss
Just like on the Pi once you install the Debian image you need to expand it to fit the SD card.

Your df seems to indicate you are still using a 2g(ish) partition so I suspect you have a lot of free space.
You can confirm with fdisk.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Expanding_File_System_Partition_On_A_microSD

​Re
 Sean M

Re: no space on BeagleBone uSD

peter-469
Giles and Sean,

Thanks for responding. I was aware and did take those steps. I reviewed the entire
process including external links prior to beginning the process. In a general
sense I understand the process. It would appear I either missed the final step of
expansion. I did try to go through the extension process again prior to posting so
I can't be certain what I did wrong where. At any rate I tried again and ended up
with this:

  root@beaglebone:/home/debian# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs           7512696 1463660   5728624  21% /
udev               10240       0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs             101832    1088    100744   2% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2   7512696 1463660   5728624  21% /
tmpfs             254580       0    254580   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs             254580       0    254580   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs             102400       0    102400   0% /run/user
tmpfs               5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1     98094   70514     27580  72% /boot/uboot
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# reboot

This is in line with expectations.

Now, if I can only figure out where I left off...

Thanks again for helping me figure out where I messed up.

Peter