mh AND CO monitoring

Dave Stenhouse
I was wondering if anyone has any info or experience with monitoring
Carbon Monoxide or other potentially deadly (non dog-related) gasses and
logging that through the mh interface.   My thought is that if I had a
decent CO monitor, and could make it talk to mh, then if the CO levels
got to a certain PPM, mh could alert me, even if I was not home, which
is an advantage over the typical beeping white plastic thing.  Also, I
should be able to observe any trends that may be developing (hmm... my
fuel bill's going through the roof and the CO levels are up-  wonder if
I should have the furnace checked?) Of course, probably the best thing
is that if the CO monitor is talking to mh, then I know when it quits
working.

Any thoughts at all?  Product references, Circuit Cellar articles from
days gone by?

-Dave Stenhouse

Re: mh AND CO monitoring

Neil Cherry
Dave Stenhouse wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has any info or experience with monitoring
> Carbon Monoxide or other potentially deadly (non dog-related) gasses and
> logging that through the mh interface.   My thought is that if I had a
> decent CO monitor, and could make it talk to mh, then if the CO levels
> got to a certain PPM, mh could alert me, even if I was not home, which
> is an advantage over the typical beeping white plastic thing.  Also, I
> should be able to observe any trends that may be developing (hmm... my
> fuel bill's going through the roof and the CO levels are up-  wonder if
> I should have the furnace checked?) Of course, probably the best thing
> is that if the CO monitor is talking to mh, then I know when it quits
> working.

First Alert, OneLink? I don't know if it tells you the PPM. I think
it sends X10 (2Q Insteon support) when the alarm goes off.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: mh AND CO monitoring

Dave Stenhouse
Neil Cherry wrote:

> First Alert, OneLink? I don't know if it tells you the PPM. I think
> it sends X10 (2Q Insteon support) when the alarm goes off.

I can't find any actual data on the OneLink.  Just First Alert telling
me that they'll all make a racket together if a fire breaks out
somewhere, or CO levels are too high for too long.  That's cool, but
it's only part of what I would like to accomplish.  They are also a bit
expensive, if all they talk to is each other.
Do they in fact use X10?  Even the battery powered units?  Would I then
need a CM17 interface to receive?  For some reason I think that the CM17
is send only.  If anyone has a datasheet on the OneLink I'd be obliged
to see a copy of it.

With the different products that are designed to communicate with home
security systems, I figured this was an easy one.  Maybe not...  I guess
if I had to, I could figure some way to rig something up, but there's
got to be some commercial product that could work with just a little
adaptation.  One of the security companies in town advertises that they
monitor for CO about once every 63 minutes (how they arrive at that
number I'll never know).  Whatever devices they use must be available to
the rest of us, and I should be able to monitor it just as well as they
can.

-Dave Stenhouse

Re: mh AND CO monitoring

Neil Cherry
Dave Stenhouse wrote:

> Neil Cherry wrote:
>
>> First Alert, OneLink? I don't know if it tells you the PPM. I think
>> it sends X10 (2Q Insteon support) when the alarm goes off.
>
> I can't find any actual data on the OneLink.  Just First Alert telling
> me that they'll all make a racket together if a fire breaks out
> somewhere, or CO levels are too high for too long.  That's cool, but
> it's only part of what I would like to accomplish.  They are also a bit
> expensive, if all they talk to is each other.
> Do they in fact use X10?  Even the battery powered units?  Would I then
> need a CM17 interface to receive?  For some reason I think that the CM17
> is send only.  If anyone has a datasheet on the OneLink I'd be obliged
> to see a copy of it.

I don't know much about them yet, I only found out that the Insteon
version will be out in 2Q (September?). The current version uses X10
but I don't know if it's the entire line or not.

The CM17 is a transmit only device, it doesn't receive anything.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: mh AND CO monitoring

Glenn Chubak
> I don't know much about them yet, I only found out that the Insteon
> version will be out in 2Q (September?). The current version uses X10
> but I don't know if it's the entire line or not.

Perhaps my approach is a bit crude but it works.  I've installed Kidde
interconnected smoke and CO alarms in my house.  Kidde sells a relay module
which provides dry contacts and a 9V output when the smoke alarm is
triggered.  I use the dry contacts to turn on some emergency lighting
(battery backup) in the house and the 9V output is tied into my 1Wire system
(DS2405) so that misterhouse can monitor it.  Currently, I only monitor the
smoke alarm but it would be simple to monitor the CO as well.

I now realize that buying the relay is probably unnecessary.  The interconnect
line goes to +9V when smoke is detected and -9V when CO is the source of the
alarm.  With a couple of diodes this could easily be connected to some
digital inputs and monitored by mh.

Glenn Chubak

Re: mh AND CO monitoring

Dave Stenhouse
Glenn Chubak wrote:

>>I don't know much about them yet, I only found out that the Insteon
>>version will be out in 2Q (September?). The current version uses X10
>>but I don't know if it's the entire line or not.
>>

>Perhaps my approach is a bit crude but it works.  I've installed Kidde
>interconnected smoke and CO alarms in my house.  Kidde sells a relay module
>which provides dry contacts and a 9V output when the smoke alarm is
>triggered.  I use the dry contacts to turn on some emergency lighting
>(battery backup) in the house and the 9V output is tied into my 1Wire system
>(DS2405) so that misterhouse can monitor it.  Currently, I only monitor the
>smoke alarm but it would be simple to monitor the CO as well.
>
>I now realize that buying the relay is probably unnecessary.  The interconnect
>line goes to +9V when smoke is detected and -9V when CO is the source of the
>alarm.  With a couple of diodes this could easily be connected to some
>digital inputs and monitored by mh.
>
>Glenn Chubak

Well, yes, and of course the first alert (X10 or Insteon) that Neil
mentioned above would be even simpler.  My dream is to log CO values
into the RRD, and be able to graph them over time.  I don't really know
if it's worthwhile- I have a friend who has a CO monitor with a SSD, and
he swears the thing is broken.  He heats his home with a wood stove, and
apparently the CO monitor barely ever budges.
I reckon maybe I'll give the first alert unit a try.  Has anybody else
taken the plunge?
-Dave Stenhouse