Quantcast

linting an mht file

Seann Clark
All,

In the process of updating my configuration, and reloading MH, I came
across a problem that has been frustrating me to no end.

Something changed in my mht file that I had opened but not actively
editing. (Pet jumped on the keyboard)

Since that time there have been errors in the file that prevent
misterhouse from coming back online.

One of the errors was a $ in the middle of the file, between comment
lines, but this doesn't explain any of the other errors I am getting.

The file is not recognizing the PLM statement: INSTEON_PLM, PLM nor the
first property group definition: GROUP, MB,
Property(0;1;30;12)

Commenting these out just moves the errors to the Insteon Scene
definitions.

Deleting those, everything works.

The current MHT file on the old MH server, works fine as well.

Long story short, is there a good way to lint the mht file, without
having to start misterhouse, edit, restart, etc?

Regards,
Seann

Re: linting an mht file

Seann Clark
On 5/18/2016 7:51 PM, Seann wrote:

> All,
>

> In the process of updating my configuration, and reloading MH, I came
> across a problem that has been frustrating me to no end.
>
> Something changed in my mht file that I had opened but not actively
> editing. (Pet jumped on the keyboard)
>
> Since that time there have been errors in the file that prevent
> misterhouse from coming back online.
>
> One of the errors was a $ in the middle of the file, between comment
> lines, but this doesn't explain any of the other errors I am getting.
>
> The file is not recognizing the PLM statement: INSTEON_PLM, PLM nor the
> first property group definition: GROUP, MB,
> Property(0;1;30;12)
>
> Commenting these out just moves the errors to the Insteon Scene
> definitions.
>
> Deleting those, everything works.
>
> The current MHT file on the old MH server, works fine as well.
>
> Long story short, is there a good way to lint the mht file, without
> having to start misterhouse, edit, restart, etc?
>
> Regards,
> Seann

Just as a quick update on this. It seems to be related to how I have the
file commented (using '#'), when I stripped out all comment lines,
leaving the actual configuration intact, everything works.

Trying to find the issue in the file is rather difficult, namely because
most editors I use (scite, vim) don't catch the specific syntax of the
mht file, so small errors are hard to miss.

Has there been any ideas tossed around (I thought I saw it once a while
back) about changing, or extending the formatting possibility, to use
something like xml?

XML is hard to read for a beginner, but it would be easy to generate in
the ia7 interface, using basic object templates (Zwave object, Insteon
object) which would make it easier to configure and port, instead of
searching the wiki, and google, in hopes you can find out how one person
set up such and such device. While the most common objects are well
documented, I have found other ones, like Zone Minder objects, being
more obscure and lacking in information, which makes it hard to get it
fully working.

Regards,
Seann

Seann

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please send us by fax any message containing deadlines as incoming e-mails are not screened for response deadlines. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Tsukinokage.net Omaha, Nebraska

Re: linting an mht file

H Plato
Do you know what line caused caused problems?

I think there is a read_table_xml script that will parse a xml object file, but I don't think its current with all the new objects.

Sent from my mobile device.

On 5/19/2016 8:41 AM, H Plato wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

I haven't been able to find the erroneous line in the commented file.

I have been able to successfully run the program again, after I ran it
through a sed command to remove all commented lines:
  cat items.mht | sed '/^#/ d' > items.mht.new

I am still looking through the old non-functional and commented file to
see if I can find anything out of line, but haven't been able to locate
anything exactly at this time.

Regards,
Seann

Re: linting an mht file

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello Sean,

as a side note: if you want to avoid encountering this in the future, just do a simple ‘git init’ in your local config folder and from then on commit the changes you make to the files to the local repository. That way you can easily revert to older versions of the files.

I’m posting this to the list because not everybody is aware the you can create a local git repository in a folder without requiring an external server like the one we’re using for the MisterHouse code repository.

Best regards,
 Lieven.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Tsukinokage.net Omaha, Nebraska

> I haven't been able to find the erroneous line in the commented file.
>
> I have been able to successfully run the program again, after I ran it
> through a sed command to remove all commented lines:
>  cat items.mht | sed '/^#/ d' > items.mht.new
>
> I am still looking through the old non-functional and commented file to
> see if I can find anything out of line, but haven't been able to locate

Re: linting an mht file

Joel Davidson-2

That is great info.  I had no idea... Thanks Lieven.

Joel
--
Joel Davidson
Austin, TX

Re: linting an mht file

kent S
I see this thread is a bit old, but here is a few suggestion.

you say if you remove all the "comment lines" it works. It sounds like
your cat (only pet I know that can type) maybe deleted some partial
lines so you have semething like

$garbledline  # removing this comment allows things to work

when you grep out all the comments the bad line goes with it. Try making
a file with only the comments and see if there is a line with code
before the comments.

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 08:57 -0500, Seann wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Tsukinokage.net Omaha, Nebraska

> I haven't been able to find the erroneous line in the commented file.
>
> I have been able to successfully run the program again, after I ran it
> through a sed command to remove all commented lines:
>   cat items.mht | sed '/^#/ d' > items.mht.new
>
> I am still looking through the old non-functional and commented file to
> see if I can find anything out of line, but haven't been able to locate

Re: linting an mht file

Neil Cherry-3
I'm setting up my Pi 3 with MH on a nice SSD drive (no more SD car failures, I
hope). But I've run into this same problem (I'll look around later at git to
see what changed). But I also found that the change affected this line in my
mht file:

     CODE, require mqtt;

     CODE, $MQTT = new Group(); # line 82

It causes this error:

     Error in user code file ./../../local/data/mh_temp.user_code

       06/21/16 10:30:46 AM: Can't locate object method "new" via package
       "mqtt" at (eval 457) line 82.

In my code, included above, I left in the line for the require (where the
mqtt new will be found). When I poke about in mh_temp.user_code, I find
my require on line 3431.

    3431 require mqtt;

So I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: linting an mht file

Neil Cherry-3
On 06/21/2016 12:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

> I'm setting up my Pi 3 with MH on a nice SSD drive (no more SD car failures, I
> hope). But I've run into this same problem (I'll look around later at git to
> see what changed). But I also found that the change affected this line in my
> mht file:
>
>      CODE, require mqtt;
>
>      CODE, $MQTT = new Group(); # line 82
>
> It causes this error:
>
>      Error in user code file ./../../local/data/mh_temp.user_code
>
>        06/21/16 10:30:46 AM: Can't locate object method "new" via package
>        "mqtt" at (eval 457) line 82.
>
> In my code, included above, I left in the line for the require (where the
> mqtt new will be found). When I poke about in mh_temp.user_code, I find
> my require on line 3431.
>
>     3431 require mqtt;
>
> So I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

Okay, looks like I had figured this out at some point in the past and the
solution is to add "#noloop" to the end of the code line. In the .mht file,
like this:

      CODE, require mqtt; #noloop

      CODE, $MQTT = new Group(); # line 82

Still trying to figure out the comments issue. I'd like to have my comments
back in the .mht file as I use them for reference.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies