Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Michelle Dupuis-2

I read a post a while back about someone hooking up their z-wave controller to MH, and the REST interface on the controller was the way to go.

Has this been incorporated officially into MH?  And, can someone post which controller they used?

Anyone have an opinion on the best (and MH compatible) z-wave controller?

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

H Plato
Was that my post?  I’ve successfully got the razberry system working, and created a branch on github. I only have 1 device, however it is very reliable, and has been working for weeks without issue. Since I had a spare Raspberry PI around it was the least expensive option for me to tinker with getting z-wave working.

On Nov 16, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Michelle Dupuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I read a post a while back about someone hooking up their z-wave controller to MH, and the REST interface on the controller was the way to go.

Has this been incorporated officially into MH?  And, can someone post which controller they used?

Anyone have an opinion on the best (and MH compatible) z-wave controller?

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

H Plato
I think Bruce meant to send this to the list.  Bruce I plan on taking your lead for those blinds. Just need to get a ladder to finalize measurements and figure out how when I can drive to the US border to pick them up…

I went with the razberry as it’s all local, as I don’t know if the vera or wink are entirely dependant on the cloud. I didn’t want my automation dependant on an internet connection.

On Nov 16, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Bruce Winter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I control about 60 z-wave devices (16 of them are via 1 somfy curtain motor interface) with mh via the $100 Vera Lite ( getvera.com ).   They just announce a new model, the $150 VeraEdge.  Is supports the newer, backward compatable Zwave plus devices.   Not sure of all the advantages, looks like a bit better range.

I tried doing some event programming using the Vera, but quickly got frustrated.   Hard to debug and Lua code you program it with.   Fortunately it supports direct http calls, so I control and monitor the Z-wave devices from mh, using the Vera to do the low level z-wave communication.

I don't know how much better or worse z-wave in Vera is than other options like SmartThings or a Z-wave usb stick.    I have a SmartThings hub I play with a little, mainly to try out zigbee devices, like their keychain presence sensor, but SmarThings is mostly cloud based, which seems like it would be less reliable than direct local communication.

If there is interest, I can clean up and post the Vera interface code I've been using.  I think there are a couple others on the list who have done similar.

Bruce

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM, H Plato <[hidden email]> wrote:
Was that my post?  I’ve successfully got the razberry system working, and created a branch on github. I only have 1 device, however it is very reliable, and has been working for weeks without issue. Since I had a spare Raspberry PI around it was the least expensive option for me to tinker with getting z-wave working.

On Nov 16, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Michelle Dupuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I read a post a while back about someone hooking up their z-wave controller to MH, and the REST interface on the controller was the way to go.

Has this been incorporated officially into MH?  And, can someone post which controller they used?

Anyone have an opinion on the best (and MH compatible) z-wave controller?

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Michelle Dupuis-2

Actually there was another post, where someone used one of the "smart" controllers like Quirky, SmartThings, etc.  They were using the REST interface of that device.

I agree with the other poster that I don't want ANY cloud services...this has to be standalone controller.

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Greg Moeller
Bruce, I just got myself a veralite and would love to see what you've done for code.
I've got some Schlage locks on it and a couple of plugin outlet controllers for the block heaters in the cars.
I'd like to control the locks/outlets and also get a notification from the Vera when the locks change state.

Thanks!

Greg

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Greg Moeller
I've managed to make a little progress..

I took a quick look at:  http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/vera/vera.html
Which got me this:   curl 'http://192.168.42.80:3480/data_request?id=status&output_format=xml'
From which I was able to learn the ID numbers of my devices.
With that information, I was able to write this little script (pardon the crudeness, it's a quickie script :)
---
#!/bin/bash
#
lck=23
if [ "$1" == "front" ]; then
    lck=3
 elif [ "$1" == "back" ]; then
    lck=6
 elif [ "$1" == "garage" ]; then
    lck=7
 fi
if [ "$lck" == "23" ]; then
    echo "Bad lock: zwave-lock.sh front|back|garage lock|unlock"
    exit
  fi

act=23
if [ "$2" == "lock" ]; then
    act=1
 elif [ "$2" == "unlock" ]; then
    act=0
 fi
if [ "$act" == "23" ]; then
    echo "Bad action: zwave-lock.sh front|back|garage lock|unlock"
    exit
  fi

curl "http://192.168.42.80:3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=$lck&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DoorLock1&action=SetTarget&newTargetValue=$act"
---
All I had to do then is replace my old lock/unlock scripts in my various .pl files with:
---
        print "Locking the Back door\n";
        set $door_lock "/usr/local/bin/zwave-lock.sh back lock";
        start $door_lock;
---
This doesn't seem to be perfect though, when I close the door, it's supposed to lock.
But, I get back: " Sorry, the node reports it's busy. Please try again later."
I guess I'm either supposed to wait a bit, or retry the command.  I'll have to see if I can figure out how to get a status for just the lock
 in question and do a retry.

That's it for the moment...
BTW, the oneliner for a light switch(or in my case, the car plug-ish thing) is:
---
curl 'http://192.168.42.80:3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=xml&DeviceNum=5&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1&action=SetTarget&newTargetValue=1'
---

Greg

Re: Z-wave compitability: Quirky vs Smarthings vs ?

Bruce Winter-2
Greg,

Yep, that data_request?id=status url is the key.   That is what I used to figure out which items expect which variables for the Vera devices that I have.

I just posted the code I've been using here:

These are examples for the 5 types of devices currently supported by that code:

  $chandelier_light  = new Vera_Item 'light',   1;
  $thermostat         = new Vera_Item 'tstat',   2;
  $motion_front_door = new Vera_Item 'motion',  3;
  $curtain_1         = new Vera_Item 'curtain', 4;
  $front_door_lock   = new Vera_Item 'lock',    5;

This code supports controlling devices (all Z-wave devices in my case) from mh.   To get the device to update mh, for example with motion sensors, I create a Vera Scene, where the Trigger is set to the relevant device state, and I add Luup code to call mh to set the mh Item to the desired state.    For example:

If this is confusing, let me know and I can do a screencast showing some examples.

Bruce

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Greg Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've managed to make a little progress..

I took a quick look at:  http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/vera/vera.html
Which got me this:   curl 'http://192.168.42.80:3480/data_request?id=status&output_format=xml'
From which I was able to learn the ID numbers of my devices.
[...]

Given the amount of devices that are new web-based for communication, I'm wondering if it might make sense to have a common approach, maybe even inside MH? For both the venstar and razberry modules I crafted, these use LWP and JSON::XS to parse and manage the data. It's in-line code which can create pauses. I also use timer objects for polling, which seems to work well.

I've mitigated the possible timeout or pauses in fetching data over http by creating a separate MH instance that runs the web services code, and then uses xAP to keep objects in sync with my master loop. However, this runs the risk of running multiple web services in a single instance (creating aggregate potential pausing), or having the overhead of running an MH process per web item.

Anyways, just throwing that out there for smarter folks than I to see if there is some ideas or interest in developing some MH 'glue' for web services connectivity. A neat world would be a web services item that would contact a device and push/pull data in the background. Then device specific processing can be done on top of this item.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Bruce Winter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From which I was able to learn the ID numbers of my devices.