Which of this X10 stuff should I grab?

Michael Starks
Someone in a local newsgroup here just posted this.  I currently have an
IBM CM11a compatible unit with a serial interface, and a few lamp
modules.  Not knowing much about X10 yet, what would you grab in the
following list?  Are the prices reasonable?
-------------------------------

I have just moved to an insteon platform, and have quite a bit of X-10
hardware that I want to part with to help fund the switch to Insteon.

I have quantities of the following:

Lamp Modules

* 2 Prong LampLinc (2000STW) receivers - $10 Each     [3+ Available]
* 3 Prong LampLinc (2000SHL3) receivers - $12 each     [3+ available]
* 2 Prong LampLinc (Magnavox LMT-101) receivers - $6 each [4+ available]
* 2 Prong LampLinc (PowerHouse LM465) receivers - $6 ecah [7+ available]
* SocketRocket adapters - $8 Each [2 Available]

Appliance Modules

* 3 Prong Appliance Module (Magnavox AMT-103) - $6 [4+ available]
* 3 Prong Appliance Module (PowerHouse AM466) - $6 [3+ available]
* 3 Prong Appliance Module  (PowerHouse AM-486) - $6 [3+ available]

Computer Interfaces

* 1   1132U  Computer Interface Adapter -- USB
* 2   1132CU Computer Interface Adapter -- USB

All prices are negotiable....

The quantities are of the spare equipment I am currently not using.  I
may have more units available that are in use... (Thus the x+ )

Re: Which of this X10 stuff should I grab?

Neil Cherry

 From http://www.smarthome.com/ pretty good I think.

> * 2 Prong LampLinc (Magnavox LMT-101) receivers - $6 each [4+ available]
> * 2 Prong LampLinc (PowerHouse LM465) receivers - $6 ecah [7+ available]

These are not LampLincs but rather lamp modules. LampLincs are a
Smarthome product. Nothing wrong with these but for light bulbs
only (and a few dimmable fluorescents).

> * SocketRocket adapters - $8 Each [2 Available]

It is my opinion that SocketRockets are dangerous. They fall apart
from the heat of the bulb. Very bad is they're hung with the bulb
down.

> Appliance Modules
>
> * 3 Prong Appliance Module (Magnavox AMT-103) - $6 [4+ available]
> * 3 Prong Appliance Module (PowerHouse AM466) - $6 [3+ available]
> * 3 Prong Appliance Module  (PowerHouse AM-486) - $6 [3+ available]

Nothing wrong with these.

> Computer Interfaces
>
> * 1   1132U  Computer Interface Adapter -- USB
> * 2   1132CU Computer Interface Adapter -- USB

Good controllers, the 1132CU, I think, is the preferred one.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Which of this X10 stuff should I grab?

David Mark
Neil Cherry <ncherry <at> comcast.net> writes:
> These are not LampLincs but rather lamp modules. LampLincs are a
> Smarthome product. Nothing wrong with these but for light bulbs
> only (and a few dimmable fluorescents).

The SmartHome products do status reporting incorrectly.  Makes for a messy log
if you poll them.  Other than that they are nice.

> > * SocketRocket adapters - $8 Each [2 Available]
>
> It is my opinion that SocketRockets are dangerous. They fall apart

Zoinks!   I have three of those.  Two with code wheels and one without.  Which
is the "rocket?"

> from the heat of the bulb. Very bad is they're hung with the bulb
> down.

They are hung with the bulb down.  All three of them.  Of course they don't
come on very often as they are in remote areas of the house (which is why I
used the stupid things.)  So I should get rid of them?  What will they do?

David Mark wrote:

> Neil Cherry <ncherry <at> comcast.net> writes:
>> These are not LampLincs but rather lamp modules. LampLincs are a
>> Smarthome product. Nothing wrong with these but for light bulbs
>> only (and a few dimmable fluorescents).
>
> The SmartHome products do status reporting incorrectly.  Makes for a messy log
> if you poll them.  Other than that they are nice.
>
>>> * SocketRocket adapters - $8 Each [2 Available]
>> It is my opinion that SocketRockets are dangerous. They fall apart
>
> Zoinks!   I have three of those.  Two with code wheels and one without.  Which
> is the "rocket?"

It looks like this:
http://graphics.x10.com/automation/images/lm15a_sm.jpg

I didn't know they came with wheels. I thought all of them had
electronic settings.

>> from the heat of the bulb. Very bad is they're hung with the bulb
>> down.
>
> They are hung with the bulb down.  All three of them.  Of course they don't
> come on very often as they are in remote areas of the house (which is why I
> used the stupid things.)  So I should get rid of them?  What will they do?

First let me say that I don't have first hand experience with them.
What happens is the bulb heats up the module and the glue that holds
it together lets go. The bulb (and electronics?) drops (crash). Then
you can't turn them on anymore. ;-) It was reported on CHA so I stay
away from them.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Which of this X10 stuff should I grab?

Charles Sullivan

David Mark <[hidden email]>

> Neil Cherry <ncherry <at> comcast.net> writes:
> > These are not LampLincs but rather lamp modules. LampLincs are a
> > Smarthome product. Nothing wrong with these but for light bulbs
> > only (and a few dimmable fluorescents).
>
> The SmartHome products do status reporting incorrectly.

Can you expand a little on your statement David?   Thanks.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan