Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Scott Johnson-7
>From what I can gather, the National Weather Service has changed it's query
format and existing GEO:WeatherNOAA.pm does not function correctly because
of that.

Has anybody else experienced this, and are there any easy work-arounds?

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Wayne Gatlin

I noticed the same issue with the noaa forcast, I looked at the code a bit but haven't had time to figure it out.

The xml weather data one still seems to work but it doesn't have the forcast in it.

_Wayne

On Jul 30, 2016 11:01 AM, "Scott Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>From what I can gather, the National Weather Service has changed it's query
format and existing GEO:WeatherNOAA.pm does not function correctly because
of that.

Has anybody else experienced this, and are there any easy work-arounds?

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

ricks03

I'm running a fairly old implementation of MH, and I noticed that my
outdoor weather graphs both stopped working Aug. 3. That wouldn't
bother me so much, but it looks like when they stopped working, my
indoor graphs stopped working as well.

Anyone had a chance to further pick at this? I would guess the
outdoor weather check is crashing the script before it gets around to
collecting the indoor data?

Rick

At 11:20 PM 8/2/2016, Wayne Gatlin wrote:

>I noticed the same issue with the noaa forcast, I looked at the code
>a bit but haven't had time to figure it out.
>
>The xml weather data one still seems to work but it doesn't have the
>forcast in it.
>
>_Wayne
>
>On Jul 30, 2016 11:01 AM, "Scott Johnson"
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
> >From what I can gather, the National Weather Service has changed it's query
>format and existing GEO:WeatherNOAA.pm does not function correctly because
>of that.
>
>Has anybody else experienced this, and are there any easy work-arounds?

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

ricks03
Well, internet_weather calls get_weather, which uses WeatherNOAA,
which relies on URLs that no longer exist. I'm poking about on the
NOAA site to find corresponding URLs to get things working again.

A short-term fix for getting my internal weather reporting working
again replacing
\mh_local\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
with
mh\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
and then setting weather_forecast.txt to read only. Repeat with
weather_conditions.txt

That makes the data always the same, and that of Bruce's house from
ages ago, but at least it gets my internal graphs working (for my
ongoing fight with my AC company who are NOT happy I can graph
internal humidity across the house). My guess is a null value is
being returned somewhere when those two text files are not populated
(because the NOAA broke WeatherNOAA.pm by moving the required URLs).

The old URL Format:
http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NC&prodtype=zone
http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NC&prodtype=hourly

The new URL format (something like):
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP&issuedby=RAH
(Zone Forecast Product)
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.9804&lon=-78.915&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=text&TextType=1

There are a variety of URLs which all present about the same data
different ways. I emailed the NOAA contact, on the off chance I can
get a response for which URLs are intended to replace the old URLs

Rick

At 05:33 PM 8/15/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:

>I'm running a fairly old implementation of MH, and I noticed that my
>outdoor weather graphs both stopped working Aug. 3. That wouldn't
>bother me so much, but it looks like when they stopped working, my
>indoor graphs stopped working as well.
>
>Anyone had a chance to further pick at this? I would guess the
>outdoor weather check is crashing the script before it gets around to
>collecting the indoor data?
>
>Rick
>

>At 11:20 PM 8/2/2016, Wayne Gatlin wrote:
>
> >I noticed the same issue with the noaa forcast, I looked at the code
> >a bit but haven't had time to figure it out.
> >
> >The xml weather data one still seems to work but it doesn't have the
> >forcast in it.
> >
> >_Wayne
> >
> >On Jul 30, 2016 11:01 AM, "Scott Johnson"
> ><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >From what I can gather, the National Weather Service has changed
> it's query
> >format and existing GEO:WeatherNOAA.pm does not function correctly because
> >of that.
> >
> >Has anybody else experienced this, and are there any easy work-arounds?

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

ricks03
The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and
point information.
For when the location is RAH:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>>http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH

Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA

Rick

At 04:43 PM 8/16/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:

>Well, internet_weather calls get_weather, which uses WeatherNOAA,
>which relies on URLs that no longer exist. I'm poking about on the
>NOAA site to find corresponding URLs to get things working again.
>
>A short-term fix for getting my internal weather reporting working
>again replacing
>\mh_local\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
>with
>mh\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
>and then setting weather_forecast.txt to read only. Repeat with
>weather_conditions.txt
>
>That makes the data always the same, and that of Bruce's house from
>ages ago, but at least it gets my internal graphs working (for my
>ongoing fight with my AC company who are NOT happy I can graph
>internal humidity across the house). My guess is a null value is
>being returned somewhere when those two text files are not populated
>(because the NOAA broke WeatherNOAA.pm by moving the required URLs).
>
>The old URL Format:
>http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NC&prodtype=zone
>http://www.weather.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NC&prodtype=hourly
>
>The new URL format (something like):
>http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP&issuedby=RAH
>(Zone Forecast Product)
>http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.9804&lon=-78.915&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=text&TextType=1
>
>There are a variety of URLs which all present about the same data
>different ways. I emailed the NOAA contact, on the off chance I can
>get a response for which URLs are intended to replace the old URLs
>
>Rick
>

>At 05:33 PM 8/15/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>
>>I'm running a fairly old implementation of MH, and I noticed that my
>>outdoor weather graphs both stopped working Aug. 3. That wouldn't
>>bother me so much, but it looks like when they stopped working, my
>>indoor graphs stopped working as well.
>>
>>Anyone had a chance to further pick at this? I would guess the
>>outdoor weather check is crashing the script before it gets around to
>>collecting the indoor data?
>>
>>Rick
>>

>>At 11:20 PM 8/2/2016, Wayne Gatlin wrote:
>>
>> >I noticed the same issue with the noaa forcast, I looked at the code
>> >a bit but haven't had time to figure it out.
>> >
>> >The xml weather data one still seems to work but it doesn't have the
>> >forcast in it.
>> >
>> >_Wayne

>> changed it's query
>> >format and existing GEO:WeatherNOAA.pm does not function correctly because
>> >of that.
>> >
>> >Has anybody else experienced this, and are there any easy work-arounds?

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

ricks03
The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH

See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes:

Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside
the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
         Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than
what's included in MH).
         Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using
regional three digit zone codes.
         You can get those codes here:
http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP
         You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
         Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin

Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as
I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off
my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from
the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm

If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it
goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
\data\web\weather_conditions.txt

Rick

At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:

>The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast
>and point information.
>For when the location is RAH:
>http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH
>
>>>http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH
>
>Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>
>Rick

get_weather (6K) Download Attachment
WeatherNOAA.pm (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Winston Gadsby
         I really appreciate your checking into this.  Some of us out there still use the forecast and conditions in misterhouse.  I just started troubleshooting this weekend when I found your email.  My setup stopped working several weeks ago as well, when NOAA made the change.

         I tried the new code out and it works, for the most part, but I have a slight problem.  In my case the location I use for conditions (Dulles airport) is different than the one used for forecast (Herndon, VA).  There are no nearby locations that appear on both pages.  It looks like the conditions are mostly given for airports, while the forecasts are given for cities.  Both the forecast and current conditions used to work up until a few weeks ago with a city of "Dulles", so I wonder if NOAA pruned their list of cities in the forecasts.
It would help if two cities could be specified in the ini file, maybe city_weather_conditions and city_weather_forecast, for example.  By the way, to be clear, it looks like the ini parameters with your modifications presently are the following:

city - city name for forecast/conditions
state - state for forecast/conditions (no longer used?)
zone - three character zone code

     Thanks again,

Winston

>The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now: >http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH >http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH >See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes: >Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside
>the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
>      Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than
>what's included in MH).
>      Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using
>regional three digit zone codes.
>      You can get those codes here: >http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP >      You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
>      Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
>Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin >Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as
>I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off
>my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from
>the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm >If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it
>goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
>\data\web\weather_forecast.txt
>\data\web\weather_conditions.txt >Rick At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast
>and point information.
>For when the location is RAH:
>http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH >
>>>http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH >
>Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>
>Rick

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Lieven Hollevoet
Hello all,

is there somebody who has tested this already? Would be nice if we could add it to toe upcoming 4.2 stable release.

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 19 aug. 2016, om 18:34 heeft Rick Steeves <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now:
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH
>
> See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes:
>
> Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
>        Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than what's included in MH).
>        Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using regional three digit zone codes.
>        You can get those codes here: http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP
>        You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
>        Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
> Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin
>
> Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm
>

> If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
> \data\web\weather_forecast.txt
> \data\web\weather_conditions.txt
>
> Rick
>

> At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>> The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and point information.
>> For when the location is RAH:
>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>> Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>>
>> Rick
> <get_weather.txt><WeatherNOAA.pm>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Brian Klier
I've been using it since Rick posted his fix and it's been working perfectly here.

Brian

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016, 2:01 PM Lieven Hollevoet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

is there somebody who has tested this already? Would be nice if we could add it to toe upcoming 4.2 stable release.

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 19 aug. 2016, om 18:34 heeft Rick Steeves <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now:
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH
>
> See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes:
>
> Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
>        Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than what's included in MH).
>        Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using regional three digit zone codes.
>        You can get those codes here: http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP
>        You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
>        Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
> Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin
>
> Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm
>

> If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
> \data\web\weather_forecast.txt
> \data\web\weather_conditions.txt
>
> Rick
>

> At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>> The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and point information.
>> For when the location is RAH:
>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>> Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>>
>> Rick
> <get_weather.txt><WeatherNOAA.pm>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Wayne Gatlin
I'm not sure how I missed Ricks email, but I just set it up and its not working for me. I'm not able to get to the URLs in the email or the one that's built from my zone.

I get a 404 for both of these urls:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LIX/ZFPLIX
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH

cat data/web/weather_conditions.txt
Error getting data from http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LIX/RWRLIX

Unless there's just an issue at NOAA right now, I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

_Wayne

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Brian Klier <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using it since Rick posted his fix and it's been working perfectly here.

Brian

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016, 2:01 PM Lieven Hollevoet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

is there somebody who has tested this already? Would be nice if we could add it to toe upcoming 4.2 stable release.

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 19 aug. 2016, om 18:34 heeft Rick Steeves <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now:
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH
>
> See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes:
>
> Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
>        Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than what's included in MH).
>        Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using regional three digit zone codes.
>        You can get those codes here: http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP
>        You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
>        Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
> Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin
>
> Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm
>

> If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
> \data\web\weather_forecast.txt
> \data\web\weather_conditions.txt
>
> Rick
>

> At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>> The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and point information.
>> For when the location is RAH:
>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>> Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>>
>> Rick
> <get_weather.txt><WeatherNOAA.pm>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Eloy Paris
Same here. I tried around 6 PM EDT and it didn't work.

On September 27, 2016 10:22:50 PM EDT, Wayne Gatlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure how I missed Ricks email, but I just set it up and its not working for me. I'm not able to get to the URLs in the email or the one that's built from my zone.

I get a 404 for both of these urls:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LIX/ZFPLIX
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH

cat data/web/weather_conditions.txt
Error getting data from http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LIX/RWRLIX

Unless there's just an issue at NOAA right now, I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

_Wayne

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Brian Klier <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using it since Rick posted his fix and it's been working perfectly here.

Brian

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016, 2:01 PM Lieven Hollevoet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

is there somebody who has tested this already? Would be nice if we could add it to toe upcoming 4.2 stable release.

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 19 aug. 2016, om 18:34 heeft Rick Steeves <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> The two correct URLs (for when your zone is RAH) used for queries now:
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/RWRRAH
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/ZFPRAH
>
> See attached. Updates for weather NOAA website changes:
>
> Updated GEO::WeatherNOAA to confirm with new website, replace inside the base MH code /lib/site/Geo.
>        Used the CPAN 4.38 as the base (which is wildly newer than what's included in MH).
>        Note - the NOAA no longer uses "State", but is instead using regional three digit zone codes.
>        You can get those codes here: http://forecast.weather.gov/product_sites.php?site=CRH&product=ZFP
>        You must include that zone value in your mh.private.ini file.
>        Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
> Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin
>
> Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm
>

> If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
> \data\web\weather_forecast.txt
> \data\web\weather_conditions.txt
>
> Rick
>

> At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>> The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and point information.
>> For when the location is RAH:
>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>> Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA
>>
>> Rick
> <get_weather.txt><WeatherNOAA.pm>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

Brian Klier
I should correct myself, it looks like it WAS working until just recently.  I noticed some of the RIDGE graphics have changed to new sites at NOAA, so it sounds like they might be doing some sort of refresh of their website this week.

Brian

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Brian Klier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>        Example: zone=RAH for Raleigh-Durham
> Updated get_weather to incorporate using zone instead of state, located in /bin
>
> Note that foundation I used for get_weather is likely out of date, as I have yet to work with the new (Git?) repository, so I'm working off my 2.105 (-ish) personal environment. The WeatherNOAA.pm I built from the most current version of GEO::WeatherNOAA.pm
>

> If anyone still uses this code, please use and let me know how it goes. You can tell if it's working by looking at
> \data\web\weather_forecast.txt
> \data\web\weather_conditions.txt
>
> Rick
>

> At 02:10 PM 8/18/2016, Rick Steeves wrote:
>> The NOAA has provided URLs which return raw text for the forecast and point information.
>> For when the location is RAH:
>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RAH/PFMRAH

>> Shouldn't take me much from there to fix Geo::WeatherNOAA

Sorry, forgot to attach the file.

_Wayne

WeatherNOAA.pm (38K) Download Attachment

Re: Weather and Weather_Chance_Of_Rain

ricks03

So is this working for everyone now? I'm still
running my fixes, and everything is working fine for me.

Rick