Quantcast

Weather Underground Woes

Craig Lindholm
My apologies. I forgot a subject line earlier (still asleep)

I am using the weatherunderground.pl file to retrieve the weather for my area. Lately I have been getting the log message:

"Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/Pitt_Meadows into /media/pi/80GB/mh/my_mh/data/web/wunderground.html ... get failed"

The URL works if I type it into Chrome manually, but line in the .pl file:
"set $p_weather_page "get_url $WeatherURL $f_weather_html";"

is failing.

Is there any way I can further debug this?

Thanks

Craig

Re: Weather Underground Woes

Neil Cherry-3
On 06/02/2016 10:53 AM, Craig Lindholm wrote:

> My apologies. I forgot a subject line earlier (still asleep)
>
> I am using the weatherunderground.pl <http://weatherunderground.pl/> file to retrieve the
> weather for my area. Lately I have been getting the log message:
>
> "Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/Pitt_Meadows into
> /media/pi/80GB/mh/my_mh/data/web/wunderground.html ... get failed"
>
> The URL works if I type it into Chrome manually, but line in the .pl file:
> "set $p_weather_page "get_url $WeatherURL $f_weather_html";"
>
> is failing.
>
> Is there any way I can further debug this?

Easiest I can think of is Wireshark with a filter:

host www.wunderground.com

Once you have a singel run, use the follow the stream to see if it's
redirected or someother weirdness.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Weather Underground Woes

Is chrome redirecting to a ssl site? I don't know if the get_url program supports https.

You can test this by running the command manually to look at the results.

$Pgm_root/bin/get_url <wu url> output.html

Sent from my mobile device.

On Jun 2, 2016, at 8:53 AM, Craig Lindholm <[hidden email]> wrote:

My apologies. I forgot a subject line earlier (still asleep)

I am using the weatherunderground.pl file to retrieve the weather for my area. Lately I have been getting the log message:

"Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/Pitt_Meadows into /media/pi/80GB/mh/my_mh/data/web/wunderground.html ... get failed"

The URL works if I type it into Chrome manually, but line in the .pl file:
"set $p_weather_page "get_url $WeatherURL $f_weather_html";"

is failing.

Is there any way I can further debug this?

Thanks

Craig

Re: Weather Underground Woes

Jon Boehm
I converted weather_aws.pl to use wuderground.  Its hacked to pull the XML for a weather station and forecast by zipcode.   I'd provide my source but its a mess   Here is some helpful code

use XML::Simple;
my $xml = new XML::Simple;

Weather station data

Forecast

 my $f_wundergroundweather_xml = "$config_parms{data_dir}/web/$wug_ID.xml";
my $f_wundergroundforcast_xml = "$config_parms{data_dir}/web/$zipcode.forcast.xml";

$p_wundergroundweather_xml = new Process_Item("wget $WeatherUndergroundWeatherURL -O $f_wundergroundweather_xml");

$p_wundergroundforcast_xml = new Process_Item("wget $WeatherUnderground_forcasturl -O $f_wundergroundforcast_xml");

$file = file_read $f_wundergroundweather_xml;
my $weatherdata = $xml->XMLin($file);

$Weather{TempOutdoor} = $weatherdata->{temp_f};
$Weather{heat_index_f} = $weatherdata->{heat_index_f};
$Weather{HumidOutdoor} = $weatherdata->{relative_humidity};
$Weather{WindAvgSpeed} = $weatherdata->{wind_mph};
$Weather{WindAvgDir} = $weatherdata->{wind_dir};
$Weather{WindGustSpeed} = $weatherdata->{wind_gust_mph};

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Craig Lindholm <[hidden email]> wrote:
My apologies. I forgot a subject line earlier (still asleep)

I am using the weatherunderground.pl file to retrieve the weather for my area. Lately I have been getting the log message:

"Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/Pitt_Meadows into /media/pi/80GB/mh/my_mh/data/web/wunderground.html ... get failed"

The URL works if I type it into Chrome manually, but line in the .pl file:
"set $p_weather_page "get_url $WeatherURL $f_weather_html";"

is failing.

Is there any way I can further debug this?

Thanks

Craig

Re: Weather Underground Woes

Craig Lindholm
I tried this:
xxx@mcp:/media/pi/80GB/mh/misterhouse/bin $ perl get_url http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows out.html

and got this:

Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows into out.html ... get failed

I noticed that wU changes to https. don't know if its a recent thing, but I get the same error regardless of http/https

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, H Plato <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

H Plato
Do you want to try it from a different PC, I was able to execute that command with no problems:

sh-3.2# perl get_url http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows out.html
Retrieving (with simple) http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows into out.html ... url retrieved

On 06/02/2016 11:32 PM, Craig Lindholm wrote:
> just tried the same thing getting my own mh web page with success, so did WU change
> something in the past month or so or am I missing some perl module?

Actually I think you are correct. I forgot I had to change to https for WU a few
weeks ago. It was for one of my pull scripts so MH didn't notice it (MH pulls
from my local server where the rest of my app also pull).

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Weather Underground Woes

Craig Lindholm
Eureka!

It was my userid and password.
Instead of "perl get_url http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows out.html" (used to work)
I used "perl get_url -userid xxxxxxx -password yyyyyyy http://www.wunderground.com/CA/BC/pitt_meadows out.html"

and it worked. WU must have done something with their site to try and auto redirect to my account????

Anyways. Thanks for everyone's help. It's MUCH appreciated.

Craig

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM, H Plato <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried not specifing the o/p file and got this:

LWP will support https URLs if the Crypt::SSLeay module is installed.
 501 Protocol scheme 'https' is not supported (Crypt::SSLeay not installed)

I will try installing SSLeay