Voices

12

Voices

Tim Sailer-2
I keep seeing: No matching voices found. as an error message, but I can't
find out where it's from. Is it possible to have a 'default' voice, or, as
Matt and I talked about before, have 'app=' for all speech related things?
Can someone tell me where this error is from? I'll debug the subroutine
and find out what is calling it...

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

Re: Voices

Matthew Williams-2
Tim Sailer wrote:
> I keep seeing: No matching voices found. as an error message, but I can't
> find out where it's from. Is it possible to have a 'default' voice, or, as
> Matt and I talked about before, have 'app=' for all speech related things?
> Can someone tell me where this error is from? I'll debug the subroutine
> and find out what is calling it...
>
> Tim

Tim, which text-to-voice system are you using and on which O/S?  It will
help me figure this out.

Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Voices

Tim Sailer-2

On Thu, July 13, 2006 9:41, Matthew Williams said:

> Tim Sailer wrote:
>> I keep seeing: No matching voices found. as an error message, but I
>> can't
>> find out where it's from. Is it possible to have a 'default' voice, or,
>> as
>> Matt and I talked about before, have 'app=' for all speech related
>> things?
>> Can someone tell me where this error is from? I'll debug the subroutine
>> and find out what is calling it...
>>
>> Tim
>
> Tim, which text-to-voice system are you using and on which O/S?  It will
> help me figure this out.

Cepstral/Linux

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

Re: Voices

James Armstrong
I had the same problem and am also using Cepstral. I had all references to voices in the ini file set to 'William', the code that tested for the application and chose what voice to use never set it correctly and the call to swift always did something like swift -n male (-n selects voice). I eventually gave up trying to find it and just modified the Voice_Text and hard coded it to:

$parms{voice} = "William";
$speak_pgm_arg .= ' -n '     . "'$parms{voice}'"  if $parms{voice};

- James

James Armstrong wrote:

> I had the same problem and am also using Cepstral. I had all references
> to voices in the ini file set to 'William', the code that tested for the
> application and chose what voice to use never set it correctly and the
> call to swift always did something like swift -n male (-n selects
> voice). I eventually gave up trying to find it and just modified the
> Voice_Text and hard coded it to:
>
> $parms{voice} = "William";
> $speak_pgm_arg .= ' -n '     . "'$parms{voice}'"  if $parms{voice};

Ok, I've taken a look and to my eyes there are two problems.  The first is
that there is no way to specify a default voice for many of the engines.
I've correct that problem in rev 775.  There is a new parameter
"voice_text_default_voice".

Now, the second problem is strange.  It think that there is a flaw in
Voice_Text.pm that has been there since Dec 2002.  It seems that the code
that reads in the voice_names parameter is broken.  I would appreciate other
people's opinion here before I change it.

In Voice_Text::read_parms, %voice_names is loaded with the requested
translations.  I.e. 'male' will be transformed to 'Cepstral Frank'.  But
then the next line reverses the hash.  In other words, 'Cepstral Frank' will
be transformed into 'male'.  I do not see the purpose of the reverse, except
to break the code.

If you look at Voice_Text::read_parms, you can see that %voice_names is used
to transform the requested voice into the parameter needed by the various
engines.  In other words, the intent is for a voice parameter of 'male' to
be transformed into a voice parameter of 'Cepstral Frank'.  See line 168 for
an example of how this is done.

I only have one voice available, so I can't test my theory.  Does the voice
selection stuff work for anyone right now?  Am I missing something here.  If
you agree with me, then please comment out the "reverse" line in
Voice_Text::read_parms and see if the voice selection stuff works better.

Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Voices

Tim Sailer-2

On Fri, July 14, 2006 9:31, James Armstrong said:
> I had the same problem and am also using Cepstral. I had all references
> to voices in the ini file set to 'William', the code that tested for the
> application and chose what voice to use never set it correctly and the
> call to swift always did something like swift -n male (-n selects
> voice). I eventually gave up trying to find it and just modified the
> Voice_Text and hard coded it to:
>
> $parms{voice} = "William";
> $speak_pgm_arg .= ' -n '     . "'$parms{voice}'"  if $parms{voice};

Well, the developer in me screams when I do that. It's the quick way, but
not the right way. There's a lot of these little niggling problems that
could/should be fixed one time and then the amount of support emails go
down...

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

Re: Voices

Tim Sailer-2

On Fri, July 14, 2006 14:48, Matthew Williams said:
> Ok, I've taken a look and to my eyes there are two problems.  The first is
> that there is no way to specify a default voice for many of the engines.
> I've correct that problem in rev 775.  There is a new parameter
> "voice_text_default_voice".

Cool.

> Now, the second problem is strange.  It think that there is a flaw in
> Voice_Text.pm that has been there since Dec 2002.  It seems that the code
> that reads in the voice_names parameter is broken.  I would appreciate
> other
> people's opinion here before I change it.
>
> In Voice_Text::read_parms, %voice_names is loaded with the requested
> translations.  I.e. 'male' will be transformed to 'Cepstral Frank'.  But
> then the next line reverses the hash.  In other words, 'Cepstral Frank'
> will
> be transformed into 'male'.  I do not see the purpose of the reverse,
> except
> to break the code.

:) That's where I gave up trying to weed out the problem.

> If you look at Voice_Text::read_parms, you can see that %voice_names is
> used
> to transform the requested voice into the parameter needed by the various
> engines.  In other words, the intent is for a voice parameter of 'male' to
> be transformed into a voice parameter of 'Cepstral Frank'.  See line 168
> for
> an example of how this is done.

Right.

> I only have one voice available, so I can't test my theory.  Does the
> voice
> selection stuff work for anyone right now?  Am I missing something here.
> If
> you agree with me, then please comment out the "reverse" line in
> Voice_Text::read_parms and see if the voice selection stuff works better.

The voice selection actually works at the moment, for Linux/Cepstral. Not
that I understand why. The problem I was having was missing speak events
due to not finding a matching voice, which I couldn't find where that was
happening.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

Re: Voices

Matthew Williams-2
Tim Sailer wrote:

> The voice selection actually works at the moment, for Linux/Cepstral. Not
> that I understand why. The problem I was having was missing speak events
> due to not finding a matching voice, which I couldn't find where that was
> happening.
>
> Tim

Tim,

Are you using parameters like voice=>Frank, voice=>Emily or are you using
parameters like voice=>male, voice=>female?

If you use voice=>Frank, then the default voice_names setting will do
nothing as there is no corresponding entry for "Frank" and the voice command
for Cepstral will include -n Frank.  The deafault entry is Frank=>Cepstral
Frank which is reversed to be Cepstral Frank=>Frank.  If I am right, then
using voice=>male should fail, as should voice=>female but I believe that
design intent is for voice=>male to be translated to voice=>Frank.

BTW, based on the posts on this thread, the example mh.ini voice_text for
Cepstral is incorrect as it includes the string "Cepstral" before each voice
name.  The comment in mh.ini hints at this being a possible problem.

Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Voices

Tim Sailer-2

On Fri, July 14, 2006 18:49, Matthew Williams said:

> Tim Sailer wrote:
>>
>> The voice selection actually works at the moment, for Linux/Cepstral.
>> Not
>> that I understand why. The problem I was having was missing speak events
>> due to not finding a matching voice, which I couldn't find where that
>> was
>> happening.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Tim,
>
> Are you using parameters like voice=>Frank, voice=>Emily or are you using
> parameters like voice=>male, voice=>female?

I'm using :

voice_names=male=>David, female=>Callie, evil=>Damien

In the speak lines, I use speak(voice=>male...)

> If you use voice=>Frank, then the default voice_names setting will do
> nothing as there is no corresponding entry for "Frank" and the voice
> command
> for Cepstral will include -n Frank.  The deafault entry is Frank=>Cepstral
> Frank which is reversed to be Cepstral Frank=>Frank.  If I am right, then
> using voice=>male should fail, as should voice=>female but I believe that
> design intent is for voice=>male to be translated to voice=>Frank.

Right. I believe that this way, you don't have to remember what actual
voices you have.

> BTW, based on the posts on this thread, the example mh.ini voice_text for
> Cepstral is incorrect as it includes the string "Cepstral" before each
> voice
> name.  The comment in mh.ini hints at this being a possible problem.

Right. I took a look at the code and saw what the command line for
Cepstral was passing, and used the above.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

NWE

Accessing MH from outside

NWE
Accessing MH from outside

Hi All,
I wish to access my MH externally via the internet.
I have a dynamic ip address from my provider and I now have a dynamic domain pointing back to  my ADSL box (Netgear FWG114P). I have tried creating a rule for incoming traffic from outside to port 8080 (MH port) on the MH box but I don't get a connection.

I can ping my external IP address.
So far all of the testing I have been doing has been from my normal desktop PC, trying to access my MH box using the external address i.e. www.mymh.net:8080 (not actual address) from my internal network. Could this be the problem? I need to test it from outside of my network?

Do I need to use a different MH port?

My MH box is a W2K system. I only use windows operating systems

Regards,

Neil.

Re: Accessing MH from outside

David Lynch Jr.
Neil Wrightson wrote:
Accessing MH from outside

Hi All,
I wish to access my MH externally via the internet.
I have a dynamic ip address from my provider and I now have a dynamic domain pointing back to  my ADSL box (Netgear FWG114P). I have tried creating a rule for incoming traffic from outside to port 8080 (MH port) on the MH box but I don't get a connection.

I can ping my external IP address.
So far all of the testing I have been doing has been from my normal desktop PC, trying to access my MH box using the external address i.e. www.mymh.net:8080 (not actual address) from my internal network. Could this be the problem? I need to test it from outside of my network?

Do I need to use a different MH port?

My MH box is a W2K system. I only use windows operating systems

    Getting inbound access to any system working is non-trivial.

    First ISP's really do not like it. They tend to block all kinds of things. Different ISP's block inbound access to differing degrees. There is almost always a way arround their blocking, but it may require alot of testing and trial and error.

    Being able to ping (or not) your address means very little depending on your ISP and your configuration. You can not ping my site, but you can access many services from the outside.

    Next I know nothing about your ADSL box, but every peice of equipment between your DSL pair and your client needs to be properly configured to allow inbound traffic.
    DSL Modems typically (but not always) are fully opened, but if the DSL box is a firewall or router, that is not the case. I did not think Netgear makes DSL modems - I thought they made routers/gateways  of all sizes. Regardless the Netgear needs to have the access port open. In many cases you can even do port mapping - outside access to x.y.z.w:p maps to a.b.c.d:q internally.
That is done at your router/gateway/access point. There is also a whole class of issues associated with NAT and inbound connections.

    Further, yes trying to access your internal mh via the external ip:port from the inside may or may not work - again depending on the exact configuration of your net (particularly your firewall/gateway/router)

    What you want to do is possible, in some instances it may even be simple, most small firewall/routers have provisions to allow gamers to have outside access - and you are basically trying to accomplish the same thing.

    There are websites out there that will allow you to remotely scan your own address and see if you have ports open - that is what you want. www.grc.com is one. I do nto remeber if they will scan up to port 8080. I doubt they do it by default.

    Having remote access to somebody elses system is one of the best ways to try to debug and test remote access to your own. I have reciprical agreements with several friends accross country - I give then user accounts on my linux box in return for accounts on theirs. I can then ssh to a system in New Hampshire and use nmap to scan myself or lynx to browse back to my system.
This is useful to properly open your configuration. It is also useful to properly secure it.

    Finally, I do not think MisterHouse has ever claimed to be secure enough to properly support safe remote access. I do access my mh remotely, but I have a Linux firewall router, and I limit mh access to a limited number of known trustworthy IP's. When I am on the road I ssh into the router add my current IP to the safe list and then browse mh. When I am done I remove it. Further I run mh on its own Linux virtual server - crack it and the most you get is the ability to foul up my misterhouse configuration.

    I doubt that is possible with your NetGear. It might be possible with M$'s routing software. I would claim it is simple with iptables - but then I have been seriously using iptables for a long time and I do not think configuring a real router is something I would recommend to someone who was not really serious.

    Any port you open to the outside world is a potential opportunity for crackers to give you a really bad day. I do enough bad things to my own system - I do not need additional outside help. The evil that can be done is one of the excuses that many ISP's use for blocking so much inbound traffic. Unfortunately as miserable as they make my life they have a point. The overwhelming majority of internet users are not deliberately running internet accessible servers. Most of the time the presence of inbound traffic is an indication that the target system has been taken over by evil forces.

Regards,

Neil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security? Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux
717.627.3770 	       [hidden email] 	  http://www.dlasys.net
fax: 1.253.369.9244 			           Cell: 1.717.587.7774
Over 25 years' experience in platforms, languages, and technologies too numerous to list.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

Re: Voices

Matthew Williams-2
Tim Sailer wrote:

> On Fri, July 14, 2006 18:49, Matthew Williams said:
> I'm using :
>
> voice_names=male=>David, female=>Callie, evil=>Damien
>

> In the speak lines, I use speak(voice=>male...)
>
> Right. I took a look at the code and saw what the command line for
> Cepstral was passing, and used the above.

Tim, just to confirm, did you remove the call to "reverse" or does it work
as written?  I would hate to patch Voice_Item to have it break if it is
currently ok.

thanks,
Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Voices

Tim Sailer-2

On Sat, July 15, 2006 17:35, Matthew Williams said:
> Tim, just to confirm, did you remove the call to "reverse" or does it work
> as written?  I would hate to patch Voice_Item to have it break if it is
> currently ok.

It works as written. I didn't have to change anything all along.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

Re: Voices

Matthew Williams-2
Tim Sailer wrote:
> On Sat, July 15, 2006 17:35, Matthew Williams said:
>> Tim, just to confirm, did you remove the call to "reverse" or does it work
>> as written?  I would hate to patch Voice_Item to have it break if it is
>> currently ok.
>
> It works as written. I didn't have to change anything all along.
>
> Tim

Super, I just figured out where I went wrong with my previous analysis.
Here is the code:

    &main::read_parm_hash(\%voice_names, $main::config_parms{voice_names});
    my %temp = reverse %voice_names;
    @voice_names = sort   keys %temp;
    print "Voice names: ".join(', ',@voice_names)."\n";

Last night I saw the %temp = reverse and then the following
@voice_names = ...%temp but didn't pick up that one voice_names was a hash
and the other an array.

So, yes, it should be working as written!  :-)

Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Voices

David J Mark-2
Voices work fine here (multiple Cepstral voices on XP with MSv5.)  A bug
living in the module since 2002 is not far-fetched at all though (believe
me.)  I will look at this code when I get a chance...

Thank you,
David J Mark
Ohio Media Group

> I had the same problem and am also using Cepstral. I had all references
> to voices in the ini file set to 'William', the code that tested for the
> application and chose what voice to use never set it correctly and the
> call to swift always did something like swift -n male (-n selects
> voice). I eventually gave up trying to find it and just modified the
> Voice_Text and hard coded it to:
>
> $parms{voice} = "William";
> $speak_pgm_arg .= ' -n '     . "'$parms{voice}'"  if $parms{voice};

Ok, I've taken a look and to my eyes there are two problems.  The first is
that there is no way to specify a default voice for many of the engines.
I've correct that problem in rev 775.  There is a new parameter
"voice_text_default_voice".

Now, the second problem is strange.  It think that there is a flaw in
Voice_Text.pm that has been there since Dec 2002.  It seems that the code
that reads in the voice_names parameter is broken.  I would appreciate other
people's opinion here before I change it.

In Voice_Text::read_parms, %voice_names is loaded with the requested
translations.  I.e. 'male' will be transformed to 'Cepstral Frank'.  But
then the next line reverses the hash.  In other words, 'Cepstral Frank' will
be transformed into 'male'.  I do not see the purpose of the reverse, except
to break the code.

If you look at Voice_Text::read_parms, you can see that %voice_names is used
to transform the requested voice into the parameter needed by the various
engines.  In other words, the intent is for a voice parameter of 'male' to
be transformed into a voice parameter of 'Cepstral Frank'.  See line 168 for
an example of how this is done.

I only have one voice available, so I can't test my theory.  Does the voice
selection stuff work for anyone right now?  Am I missing something here.  If
you agree with me, then please comment out the "reverse" line in
Voice_Text::read_parms and see if the voice selection stuff works better.

Matt
http://mail.yahoo.com

David J Mark (E-mail).vcf (714 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Voices

David J Mark-2
>Well, the developer in me screams when I do that. It's the quick way, but
>not the right way. There's a lot of these little niggling problems that
>could/should be fixed one time and then the amount of support emails go
>down...

I am glad somebody else is screaming about this stuff.  Niggling problems,
over-eager patchers, etc.  Complete nonsense of course.  It doesn't work and
it never will.  Mix all of the users and developers (and would-be
developers) in one kitchen and you get spoiled stew.  A better metaphor for
mh would be a giant inverted pyramid that is stacked higher every day.

Tim

--
Tim Sailer
Coastal Internet, Inc.

David J Mark (E-mail).vcf (714 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Accessing MH from outside

David J Mark-2

>Hi All,
>I wish to access my MH externally via the internet.

Pretty trivial with XP and one of those $50 wireless routers (at least it
was here.)

>I have a dynamic ip address from my provider and I now have a dynamic
domain pointing back to  my

I think mine is dynamic, but it virtually never changes.  If it did change,
I would have to update one ASP page on my Web host (one line of VBScript
that redirects when I hit castle.cinsoft.net.)  Don't bother trying that
address at the moment.  Web/FTP sites are shell extensions on XP, so a drag
and drop is all it takes.

>ADSL box (Netgear FWG114P). I have tried creating a rule for incoming
traffic from outside to port >8080 (MH port) on the MH box but I don't get a
connection.

It is called a "virtual server" on my Motorola's configuration page.  It
worked the first time.

>I can ping my external IP address.

Of course.

>So far all of the testing I have been doing has been from my normal desktop
PC, trying to access >>my MH box using the external address i.e.
www.mymh.net:8080 (not actual address) from my internal >network. Could this
be the problem? I need to test it from outside of my network?

No this is not a problem.  If you use the external address, you are just
like a visitor from the outside.  It has to go through the virtual server.
If you use the loopback (or local Intranet) address, you are not going
through the virtual server.

Realize that this is all devoid of security.  If you want security you have
to use a reverse proxy or whatever (see the Wiki.)

An interesting note is that the current Web interface(s) are not portable
(to say the least.)  The next version of the mh Web site (which will be in
the first step-up after this next release) is portable (which makes it much
easier to use with secure proxies.)

David J Mark (E-mail).vcf (714 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Accessing MH from outside

Neil Cherry
Neil Wrightson wrote:
> Hi All,
> I wish to access my MH externally via the internet.
> I have a dynamic ip address from my provider and I now have a dynamic
> domain pointing back to  my ADSL box (Netgear FWG114P). I have tried
> creating a rule for incoming traffic from outside to port 8080 (MH port)
> on the MH box but I don't get a connection.

Hmm, sound like you did something wrong. Did you describe a TCP
8080 connection and forward it to you're inside address?

> I can ping my external IP address.
> So far all of the testing I have been doing has been from my normal
> desktop PC, trying to access my MH box using the external address i.e.
> www.mymh.net:8080 (not actual address) from my internal network. Could
> this be the problem? I need to test it from outside of my network?

This sound like it might be the problem.

> Do I need to use a different MH port?

I've be careful of 8080, it's a popular port. Maybe try 48080?

> My MH box is a W2K system. I only use windows operating systems

You might want to look into setting up an SSH tunnel instead. It
would require that you login but then you'd be able to get to any
resources remotely. I've set this up under Linux (I'm pretty sure
you can do this under Windows also).

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

David J Mark wrote:
PC, trying to access >>my MH box using the external address i.e.
www.mymh.net:8080 (not actual address) from my internal >network. Could this
be the problem? I need to test it from outside of my network?

No this is not a problem.  If you use the external address, you are just
like a visitor from the outside.  It has to go through the virtual server.
If you use the loopback (or local Intranet) address, you are not going
through the virtual server.

    That is not necessarily the case. It will be highly dependent on routing details that may or may not be configurable. It may even depend on your ISP.

    It is possible for your Firewall/Gateway/Router to rerouter internal traffic targeted at your external address back at your host without its being forwarded to the internet.
    I do not think that is the norm. After that you are depending on your ISP to send traffic originating from your address and targetedd to your address back to you.
    It is likely that your ISP may consider that kind of traffic to be an indication of a problem and block it.

    No matter what browsing your external address from inside your own network is not going to be exactly like doing so from outside.
    It could work when outside access fails and/or fail when outside access works.

    The only certain way to know what will happen from the outside is to come from the outside.

Neil Cherry wrote:

You might want to look into setting up an SSH tunnel instead. It
would require that you login but then you'd be able to get to any
resources remotely. I've set this up under Linux (I'm pretty sure
you can do this under Windows also).

    Or any other type of secure VPN. There are numerous options. The all allow you to connect to your home network from the outside using a secure tunnel and giving you full access to your internal network - not just MH.

    Getting a VPN working may be harder, but the payback is greater - you can typically access ALL internal resources, AND it is alot more secure than leaving MisterHouse bare ass naked to the world.