Very long pauses?

ricks03
I'm currently running 2.100

I have code I've written that monitors a directory, and builds web
pages of image capture files. As the directory grows larger, I get
long delays in MH:
  mh paused for 11 seconds (volume=36)

I know why - because there are more and more files in that directory
to parse through. Is there a way w/i MH to get that script to not
cause large delays?

Thx.

Rick

Rick Steeves
[hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Re: Very long pauses?

Scott Reston-3
Have you tried forking it off as a process_item? I seem to remember that
you can call MH with an argument of which code file you want to execute,
so it'd be aware of your MH variables.

--

s:r {
  scott reston

[hidden email] wrote:

> I'm currently running 2.100
>
> I have code I've written that monitors a directory, and builds web pages
> of image capture files. As the directory grows larger, I get long delays
> in MH:
>  mh paused for 11 seconds (volume=36)
>
> I know why - because there are more and more files in that directory to
> parse through. Is there a way w/i MH to get that script to not cause
> large delays?
>
> Thx.
>
> Rick
>

> Rick Steeves
> [hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Re: Very long pauses?

ricks03

that sounds interesting.

Hmm. How would I convert (the line I believe is causing the delays)
my %file_paths = &file_read_dir($imagedir);

to a process item?

At 03:51 PM 2/14/2006, Scott Reston wrote:

>Have you tried forking it off as a process_item? I seem to remember that
>you can call MH with an argument of which code file you want to execute,
>so it'd be aware of your MH variables.
>
>--
>
>s:r {
>   scott reston
>   http://scott.therestons.com
>   [hidden email]
>   919-876-2170
>   }
>

>[hidden email] wrote:
> > I'm currently running 2.100
> >
> > I have code I've written that monitors a directory, and builds web pages
> > of image capture files. As the directory grows larger, I get long delays
> > in MH:
> >  mh paused for 11 seconds (volume=36)
> >
> > I know why - because there are more and more files in that directory to
> > parse through. Is there a way w/i MH to get that script to not cause
> > large delays?
> >
> > Thx.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > Rick Steeves
> > [hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Rick Steeves
[hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Re: Very long pauses?

David Mark
 <misterhouse <at> corwyn.net> writes:

> that sounds interesting.
>
> Hmm. How would I convert (the line I believe is causing the delays)
> my %file_paths = &file_read_dir($imagedir);
>
> to a process item?

You cannot convert that line.  You must create another PERL script with the
file_read_dir function in it.  Then you can use a process item to run the
script.  Look at the various clipping modules (TV, earthquakes, etc.) for
examples...

Re: Very long pauses?

ricks03

Thanks Scott. Took me a while (in part because I couldn't manage to
get MH functions or variables to make it) but I got it working, and
no more pauses.

Rick