Utility Monitoring

H Plato
Hello,

I’ve picked up a USB Software Defined Radio, for like $20 on ebay. Connected to a raspberry pi, and using the RTL-TCP and RTL-AMR tools, I can see the usage on my utility gas and water meters. Using bit of perl, I’ve been able to push the data to an open source energy monitoring system (econcms) for graphing and analysis. It looks like econcms can publish to MQTT, so I’ve tried the MH mqtt code, and I can see usage as state changes!

My original idea behind this was to track water usage when I’m away since that could indicate a water leak. Although the meter sends data via RF every minute or so, it looks like it actually reports new data every hour, so it’s not a great real-time monitor. Still, it’s pretty neat, and can provide another input into MH for alerting and triggers. Hopefully my power meter will be upgraded soon and I’ll have another data point.

Just curious if anyone else is trying something like this.

Re: Utility Monitoring

kent S
I had it nearly working when I got distracted, the difference is my
meter puts out an IR pulse for every .1kwh, so it was counting and some
simple math,  I tried finding RF, but didn't see any, I don't know if I
was looking in the wrong frequencies or if it has to be triggered by the
truck that drives around to get readings.

On a side note I have used those dongles to pick up tire pressure
sensors, I was thinking about using it to check if I am home or not, but
they go inactive. still I think a couple of these dongles could be used
to check multiple different rf "things". especially if they update
frequency is low, you can scan different frequencies.

I hope that is at least and encouraging anecdote. I think there is a lot
of unexplored possibility here.