Updated shopping list file

Neil Cherry-3
I'd like to have people try this out before I try to add it to MH.
That way I don't tick people off with my 'vision' of the way I
think things aught to be. Attached is my modified shopping_list.pl
file it's modified from the latest SVN. After you're tried it out
let me know what you think. If all goes well we can add it to the
svn.

You need to turn javascript to use this and you'll need a browser
that supports css.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

shopping_list.pl (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Updated shopping list file

Brad Yarotsky-2
I like it...

Any thoughts on how to reorganize the categories so they print in the same order as the store layout?

Brad

> I'd like to have people try this out before I try to add it to MH.
> That way I don't tick people off with my 'vision' of the way I
> think things aught to be. Attached is my modified shopping_list.pl
> file it's modified from the latest SVN. After you're tried it out
> let me know what you think. If all goes well we can add it to the
> svn.
>
> You need to turn javascript to use this and you'll need a browser
> that supports css.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       [hidden email]
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Updated shopping list file

Matthew Williams-2
Neil Cherry wrote:
> You need to turn javascript to use this and you'll need a browser
> that supports css.

Neil,

Does it work with Audrey's limited browser?  If not, is there a way to either
have both versions in parallel or to detect the browser string and present one
version or the other?

Matt

--
GPG Key ID: 722441BA
MisterHouse Wiki: http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/

Matthew Williams wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
>> You need to turn javascript to use this and you'll need a browser
>> that supports css.
>
> Neil,
>
> Does it work with Audrey's limited browser?  If not, is there a way to either
> have both versions in parallel or to detect the browser string and present one
> version or the other?

I doubt it as I don't think the Audrey's Browser supports css. I'd
try it but my Audrey's are slightly hosed and I need to reload the
image. :-/

We might be able to use some Javascript to detect the Audrey
but I'm not that good with Javascript.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Updated shopping list file

biggus
actually, you should be abvle to detect the user agent (aka browser)
in Perl and generate the appropriate code that way.  If the
string "Voyager" is present in $ENV{'HTTP_USER_AGENT'}, then assume
it's an Audrey.  If I recall correctly, the user agent string looks
similar to:

Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; QNX Voyager...)

Mike

Neil Cherry wrote:

>> Does it work with Audrey's limited browser?  If not, is there a way to either
>> have both versions in parallel or to detect the browser string and present one
>> version or the other?
>
> I doubt it as I don't think the Audrey's Browser supports css. I'd
> try it but my Audrey's are slightly hosed and I need to reload the
> image. :-/

In that case, please don't overwrite the old version of the shopping list
until we figure out a way to keep it functional for the Audrey.

Matt

Matthew Williams wrote:

> Neil Cherry wrote:
>>> Does it work with Audrey's limited browser?  If not, is there a way to either
>>> have both versions in parallel or to detect the browser string and present one
>>> version or the other?
>> I doubt it as I don't think the Audrey's Browser supports css. I'd
>> try it but my Audrey's are slightly hosed and I need to reload the
>> image. :-/
>>

> In that case, please don't overwrite the old version of the shopping list
> until we figure out a way to keep it functional for the Audrey.

That's why I posted it here first. May I suggest that you give it
a try anyway. What I think will happen is that the extra 'stuff'
will be ignored and the shopping list will appear as it has previously.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Updated shopping list file

Neil Cherry-3
A month ago I sent out changes to the shopping list to use
javascript and CSS. The feedback I received was that no one
wanted the changes if they messed up browsers that didn't
support javascript and/or CSS. Well I can no confirm that
the shopping list changes have no affect on my Audrey. You
still get the previous long list and it appears that nothing
gets messed up.

Now I'd like to take it one step further. I'd like to have
two shopping list programs one for the javascript supported
browsers and the non-javascript browsers. Does anyone have
any code examples that will select one URL if javascript is
running and another if it's not? This way I'm not messing up
the non-javascript browsers.

Thanks

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Updated shopping list file

Ralph Mitchell
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Neil Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Now I'd like to take it one step further. I'd like to have
>  two shopping list programs one for the javascript supported
>  browsers and the non-javascript browsers. Does anyone have
>  any code examples that will select one URL if javascript is
>  running and another if it's not? This way I'm not messing up
>  the non-javascript browsers.

How about this:

   http://www.missiondata.com/blog/javascript/11/no-javascript-detection/

Ralph Mitchell

Ralph Mitchell wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Neil Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Now I'd like to take it one step further. I'd like to have
>>  two shopping list programs one for the javascript supported
>>  browsers and the non-javascript browsers. Does anyone have
>>  any code examples that will select one URL if javascript is
>>  running and another if it's not? This way I'm not messing up
>>  the non-javascript browsers.
>
> How about this:
>
>    http://www.missiondata.com/blog/javascript/11/no-javascript-detection/

That works quite well, I had to drop the RL= portion of it. I'll also
need to check it against IE, Konquerer and the Audrey.

Thanks

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies