USB X-10 Setup?

Lyon R Tyler

I cant seem to get my x10 active home pro usb interface to work with misterhouse.  I am new to this and I haven’t been able to find anything even with a simple google search.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Is there a driver I need to download?  The actual misterhouse gui will launch…but it cant connect to the controller.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

Re: USB X-10 Setup?

J D-2
Hey Leon,

The problem is that X10 has been less than forthcoming with the open
source community about the specification for running the CM15A (your
ActiveHome Pro).  They made a big deal out of how they were going to
open the specification and then refused to do it (on their forums
they've actually gone so far as to say "we're just not going to do it
yet").

There are some people on this list (Neil Cherry springs directly to
mind) who've done some work with developing an open-source driver for
the CM15A and at the moment it has some functionality.  I believe you
can receive and send X10 data on it, but you can't access the routines
that let you store programmed macros on the device.  There are some
other things broken as well which don't spring immediately to mind.

I purchased a CM15A and have also gotten a CM11 recently out of
frustration with X10's policies.  If there's anyone here who can give
us a rundown on what the capabilites of misterhouse are with respect to
both devices, that'd be terrific.

Jarett

--- Lyon R Tyler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cant seem to get my x10 active home pro usb interface to work with
> misterhouse.  I am new to this and I haven't been able to find
> anything
> even with a simple google search.  Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.
> Is there a driver I need to download?  The actual misterhouse gui
> will
> launch...but it cant connect to the controller.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Tyler

Re: USB X-10 Setup?

Neil Cherry
J D wrote:

> Hey Leon,
>
> The problem is that X10 has been less than forthcoming with the open
> source community about the specification for running the CM15A (your
> ActiveHome Pro).  They made a big deal out of how they were going to
> open the specification and then refused to do it (on their forums
> they've actually gone so far as to say "we're just not going to do it
> yet").
>
> There are some people on this list (Neil Cherry springs directly to
> mind) who've done some work with developing an open-source driver for
> the CM15A and at the moment it has some functionality.  I believe you
> can receive and send X10 data on it, but you can't access the routines
> that let you store programmed macros on the device.  There are some
> other things broken as well which don't spring immediately to mind.
>
> I purchased a CM15A and have also gotten a CM11 recently out of
> frustration with X10's policies.  If there's anyone here who can give
> us a rundown on what the capabilites of misterhouse are with respect to
> both devices, that'd be terrific.

Lyon uses Windows so my stuff won't do him any good. If Lyon is
interested in creating his own driver I'd suggest using libusb
and then he can read and write to the devices. That would allow
him to leverage some of Paul DeMarco's work on the CM15A MH
interface.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~cm15a/

Lyon, my stuff is Linux based, uses a device driver to make the
USB device look like a serial port. I don't think you can do
that under Windows.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site