UPnp anyone ?

Robert Rozman
Hi,

it seems like good MH integration oportunity with outside world....

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153283

Any ideas, thoughts, advices, opinions ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

Re: UPnp anyone ?

Pete Flaherty
I looked at this http://perlupnp.sourceforge.net/ about a year ago, At the time it was on ly marginally maintained.
The implimentation is for both server and client side with most of the features.

If we were to do this we (as a group, and with Bruces blessings) we'll need to make some pretty clear defs on exactly what we want to impliment
EX
device discovery
    Just finding the things, and their capacities

server side:
    Music functinos (AV controler)
        percise functions that are supported

client side:
    Music functions (AV receiver)
        std play start stop ..... etc

And Several other major classes ....

You could get bogged down into way too many functions if we don't start with a clearly defined base
I've looked at the UPnP specs and defs fairly closely .... the functions and schemas are clear .. and extensable

I think the whole idea is great, but it may turn out to be a project unto itself

-Pete Flaherty

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 12:31 +0100, Robert Rozman wrote:
Hi,

it seems like good MH integration oportunity with outside world....

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153283

Any ideas, thoughts, advices, opinions ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

RE: UPnp anyone ?

rbolen

I've been playing with this lately. I've "unslung" a NSLU2 and installed "TwonkyMedia" (http://www.twonkyvision.com) UPnP server on it. I'm having a difficult time finding a decent Windows Media Player plug-in that works reliably (On2Share bombs on Internet Radio)l. I have found, however, a great linux solution that could be a model for achieving (at least the client side of) UPnP on Misterhouse under Linux.

Linux users (or anyone with a CD bootable P2 class or greater doorstop), check out GeexBox: http://geexbox.org/en/index.html. This is a bootable CD (only 8 meg) that boots the machine into a UPnP media player. Impressive work!

Their technique uses a UPnP AV client that creates a mount point on the local file system for the UPnP Media Server's content (http://djmount.sourceforge.net/). They use mplayer for their media player (my personal favorite). It seems like it wouldn't be to difficult to:

1) run djmount
2) then wrap a media player with a MH perl\web interface to access the files on the UPnP mount point.

I wish I knew how to do it. I'd be working on it right now!

Regards,

Rick

The implimentation is for both server and client side with most of the features.

If we were to do this we (as a group, and with Bruces blessings) we'll need to make some pretty clear defs on exactly what we want to impliment

Re: UPnp anyone ?

Robert Rozman

> the time it was on ly marginally maintained.
> The implimentation is for both server and client side with most of the
> features.
>
> If we were to do this we (as a group, and with Bruces blessings) we'll
> need to make some pretty clear defs on exactly what we want to impliment
> EX
> device discovery
>    Just finding the things, and their capacities
>
> server side:
>    Music functinos (AV controler)
>        percise functions that are supported
>
> client side:
>    Music functions (AV receiver)
>        std play start stop ..... etc
>
> And Several other major classes ....
>

> You could get bogged down into way too many functions if we don't start
> with a clearly defined base
> I've looked at the UPnP specs and defs fairly closely .... the functions
> and schemas are clear .. and extensable
>
> I think the whole idea is great, but it may turn out to be a project
> unto itself
>
> -Pete Flaherty

Hi,

I agree. So I tend to use what's already done.

I'm using Mythtv, so this one is interesting (AV server) :

http://www.cybergarage.org/net/cmgate/cc/index.html

I'm also using Pluto (sooner or later their players will support upnp client
side) (www.plutohome.com)

and I connected MH to Pluto, so MH can control Pluto devices and MH devices
are exposed to GUIs that are available in Pluto....

I will probably use Perl:upnp only for things that are missing (control of
AV devices, etc...) ....

What do you think ?

Any chance for Audrey to become upnp music client ?

Regards,

Rob.