Still dinking with weather code!

ricks03

internet_weather_metar.pl needs to have all of the starting lines as
"#@" instead of "#"

#@ Retrieves current weather conditions and forecasts using
#@ "http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mgetmetar.pl?cccc=[METARCODE]", where
#@ [METARCODE] stands for the international local METAR
(Meteorological Aviation Routine Weather Report) station ID.
#@ see "http://weather.noaa.gov" to look up your local METAR Code.

#@ As of now, this script works with an absolute path pointing to
"c:/wetter.txt" and one METAR code: "EDDH".
#@ You should substitute them with your path/data or put it into
variables (which is better, of course).
#@ There is also much more data in a METAR report than the piece of
information i found most interesting to extract.
#@ Now start looking for the sunshine ^-^:

Rick

Rick Steeves
[hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Opinion on some changes (was weather code)

Neil Cherry
[hidden email] wrote:

> internet_weather_metar.pl needs to have all of the starting lines as
> "#@" instead of "#"

I've found a few things like that (I'll update as I can). But I've
also changed things like this:

web_href_tv                = /tv
web_href_tv2               =
http://tvguide.com/Listings/index.asp?I=62004&Zip=55901
web_href_tv3               = http://tvguide.com/tv

web_href_movies            = http://www.google.com/search?&q=movie%3A+55901

to this:

web_provider               = 70620
#eb_href_tv                = /tv
web_href_tv                = $config_parms{html_alias_tv}
web_href_tv2               =
http://tvguide.com/Listings/index.asp?I=$config_parms{web_provider}&Zip=$config_parms{zip_code}
web_href_tv3               = http://tvguide.com/tv

web_href_movies            =
http://www.google.com/search?&q=movie%3A+$config_parms{zip_code}

Sorry for the line wrap!

And I'm wondering what everyone's opinion on such changes. Also,
it's just my opinion but shouldn't the default XAP and XPL
setting in mh.ini be this:

xap_disable=1
xpl_disable=1

BTW, reverse logic is nasty for new users. I'd really like to
see it defaulted this way:

xap_enable=0
xpl_enable=0

Now I didn't send any of these changes to Bruce for 2.101 because
I'm sure that I could have broken some stuff with the above
changes. As it stands I'm having trouble with the TV guide.
I'll investigate that later. For now I'd just like to hear
opinions on the above.

Thanks

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Opinion on some changes (was weather code)

Bruce Winter
Neil Cherry wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> internet_weather_metar.pl needs to have all of the starting lines as
>> "#@" instead of "#"

Got it, thanks.

> I've found a few things like that (I'll update as I can). But I've
> also changed things like this:
>
> web_href_tv                = /tv
> web_href_tv2               =
> http://tvguide.com/Listings/index.asp?I=62004&Zip=55901
> web_href_tv3               = http://tvguide.com/tv
>
> web_href_movies            = http://www.google.com/search?&q=movie%3A+55901
>
> to this:
>
> web_provider               = 70620
> #eb_href_tv                = /tv
> web_href_tv                = $config_parms{html_alias_tv}
> web_href_tv2               =
> http://tvguide.com/Listings/index.asp?I=$config_parms{web_provider}&Zip=$config_parms{zip_code}
>
> web_href_tv3               = http://tvguide.com/tv
>
> web_href_movies            =
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=movie%3A+$config_parms{zip_code}

This looks good also, except the web_href_tv.  We want this to point to
a url, like the local /tv web page, not html_alias_tv var, which points
to the local files that /tv uses.

> Sorry for the line wrap!
>
> And I'm wondering what everyone's opinion on such changes. Also,
> it's just my opinion but shouldn't the default XAP and XPL
> setting in mh.ini be this:
>
> xap_disable=1
> xpl_disable=1

I suppose we could, but I'm thinking/hoping that these protocols will
become a bigger part of future developement, so was thinking defaulting
to on would be best.   I don't think they cost much.

Bruce