Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

Jack Edin
Hello Gang,

My cell phone is a Pocket PC because I want to be able to have a large
screen to do anything practical...

I upgraded to a unit that has 802.11b and Bluetooth as well, but it is a
poorly made product I get angry when using. Early retirement for it...

Temporarily I bought a regular flip-phone, with Bluetooth. Then I went
out and bought a Bluetooth ear-bud/microphone. I like it...

Naturally I would like a way to use this on my home phone... I searched
and found nothing. I just want an analog phone with Bluetooth headset
capability!

During my search I found that the new thing coming is the Bluetooth
wireless Stereo headset. All have microphones as they're able to work
with the newest mobile phones that play back music*...

Many can have 2 (or more) simultaneous connections. This is where it
gets fun...

So you will be able to listen to music sent from your computer, AND
receive a call on the mobile phone too. Cool!

I called the manufacturer of my Bluetooth earpiece and inquired. I asked
if they had an analog home phone with Bluetooth. They do not, but the
market is exploding...

So eventually we'll have home phones that CAN work with Bluetooth
headsets. I guess I'll have to wait...

I suggested he bring Home Automation up at their next meeting of the
minds. I suggested that since I'll be walking around wearing the
headset, it would be an ideal solution for controlling the home automation.

These have echo AND active noise cancellation (digital signal
processing) and worn close to the user's mouth.

What do you think, guys?

Bluetooth has range limitations, and prefers line of site... Not ideal...

But the concept of stereo music listening, with phone call interruption
where you continue to wear the headset - WITH the ability to control the
lights, etc... That excites me!

Isn't technology fun?!??

Jack
:)


* Note: To benefit from all the features of the Stereo headset, your
mobile phone or other Bluetooth device must support the following profiles:
A2DP for advanced audio (stereo), AVRCP for remote control and Bluetooth
headset and hands-free profiles.




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

David Mark
Jack Edin <jack <at> logicunlimited.com> writes:

>
> Hello Gang,
>
> My cell phone is a Pocket PC because I want to be able to have a large
> screen to do anything practical...
>
> I upgraded to a unit that has 802.11b and Bluetooth as well, but it is a
> poorly made product I get angry when using. Early retirement for it...

Bluetooth is a real mess.  What do you need it for if you have a wireless
network and a Pocket PC?

>
> Temporarily I bought a regular flip-phone, with Bluetooth. Then I went
> out and bought a Bluetooth ear-bud/microphone. I like it...

Yes they are cool, but I never use mine.  I just don't want to walk around
with the thing in my ear.  It is like a giant hearing aid.  So ultimately it
was a waste of money.

>
> Naturally I would like a way to use this on my home phone... I searched
> and found nothing. I just want an analog phone with Bluetooth headset
> capability!

You seem surprised.  I would be surprised if you did find a home phone with a
Bluetooth headset.

>
> During my search I found that the new thing coming is the Bluetooth
> wireless Stereo headset. All have microphones as they're able to work
> with the newest mobile phones that play back music*...

>
> Many can have 2 (or more) simultaneous connections. This is where it
> gets fun...
>
> So you will be able to listen to music sent from your computer, AND
> receive a call on the mobile phone too. Cool!

I wouldn't bet on it.  I managed to link my ear-piece thing to my PC and to my
phone and then it started gathering dust.  The amount of nonsense it took to
switch between them was beyond belief.  I can't even imagine trying to pair
with two devices at once.  One was irritating enough.  Maybe they have made it
easy by now.

>
> I called the manufacturer of my Bluetooth earpiece and inquired. I asked
> if they had an analog home phone with Bluetooth. They do not, but the
> market is exploding...

It is?

>
> So eventually we'll have home phones that CAN work with Bluetooth
> headsets. I guess I'll have to wait...

I don't really think I want my home phone on Bluetooth, but that is just my
opinion.  I can say that the Bluetooth DiNovo (sp?) keyboard by Logitech is a
nice product.  Like most Bluetooth stuff, the setup went with a hitch, but
once set up, it has worked perfectly.

>
> I suggested he bring Home Automation up at their next meeting of the
> minds. I suggested that since I'll be walking around wearing the
> headset, it would be an ideal solution for controlling the home automation.

You can do it easily with mh and XP (and the BT audio gateway of course.)  The
only real disadvantage (as opposed to a voice tracker microphone) is that you
have to walk around with a headset.


>
> These have echo AND active noise cancellation (digital signal
> processing) and worn close to the user's mouth.
>
> What do you think, guys?

I think I don't want one close to my mouth.  But it is a sound idea.

>
> Bluetooth has range limitations, and prefers line of site... Not ideal...
>
> But the concept of stereo music listening, with phone call interruption
> where you continue to wear the headset - WITH the ability to control the
> lights, etc... That excites me!

I prefer speakers for music myself (and for the phone.)  I guess the only
thing that I am missing is having mh turn the volume down when a call comes in.

>
> Isn't technology fun?!??

To me technology is first excruciating then much later it can be fun.  You
should see the device driver I got with my new touch screen.  It is so old it
doesn't mention XP (or even USB!)  It wants a COM port on install when in fact
it is a USB mouse in device manager, etc.

>
> Jack
> :)
>
> * Note: To benefit from all the features of the Stereo headset, your
> mobile phone or other Bluetooth device must support the following profiles:
> A2DP for advanced audio (stereo), AVRCP for remote control and Bluetooth
> headset and hands-free profiles.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
> ________________________________________________________
> To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?
group_id=1365
>
>






-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

ricks03
At 11:34 PM 2/14/2006, David Mark wrote:
> > * Note: To benefit from all the features of the Stereo headset, your
> > mobile phone or other Bluetooth device must support the following profiles:
> > A2DP for advanced audio (stereo), AVRCP for remote control and Bluetooth
> > headset and hands-free profiles.

I've actually been considering getting a bluetooth mic/headphone to
use for MH voice control. Seems a lot simpler than wiring the house
with mics, or setting it up so I have to pick up the phone. Thoughts?

The new bluetooth devices advertise a range of 25m-100m, which is
more than adequate.

rick



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

David Mark
 <misterhouse <at> corwyn.net> writes:

>
> At 11:34 PM 2/14/2006, David Mark wrote:
> > > * Note: To benefit from all the features of the Stereo headset, your
> > > mobile phone or other Bluetooth device must support the following
profiles:
> > > A2DP for advanced audio (stereo), AVRCP for remote control and Bluetooth
> > > headset and hands-free profiles.
>
> I've actually been considering getting a bluetooth mic/headphone to
> use for MH voice control. Seems a lot simpler than wiring the house
> with mics, or setting it up so I have to pick up the phone. Thoughts?
>
> The new bluetooth devices advertise a range of 25m-100m, which is
> more than adequate.

I suppose.  My bluetooth stuff doesn't go that far.  I didn't wire my house
with microphones, I put a microphone wherever a PC was tucked away as a TIVO
or whatever.  A proxy program on each box relays the commands to mh via http.






-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

Daniel Arnold-2
In reply to this post by Jack Edin
> Naturally I would like a way to use this on my home phone...
> I searched and found nothing. I just want an analog phone
> with Bluetooth headset capability!
>

Check this one out:
http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=ELBT595

I do think Bluetooth would be a cool way to send voice commands to a home
automation system.  It should be more convenient that a wired microphone,
and more accurate than a room mic.  



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the bend...

Thomas Harding-2
I think I saw this one at Circuit City a month or so ago.

I have a Jabra bluetooth headset I tried with MH and it was not very
functional. The range was only about 8' where it worked, I usually am about
10-12' from the PC, so I ran a wired mic to my recliner and installed a
momentary pushbutton switch to turn the mic on when I speak. It was cheap
and works very well. I have always been on the lookout for a warless mic
that small, has a momentary pushbutton and could be hung around the knack on
a lanyard. But I have not found it yet. Someday when I find the right
candidate, I will probably cobb something up.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Arnold" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: RE: [mh] Stereo headsets w/Microphone and Bluetooth just around the
bend...


>> Naturally I would like a way to use this on my home phone...
>> I searched and found nothing. I just want an analog phone
>> with Bluetooth headset capability!
>>
>
> Check this one out:
> http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=ELBT595
>
> I do think Bluetooth would be a cool way to send voice commands to a home
> automation system.  It should be more convenient that a wired microphone,
> and more accurate than a room mic.
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log
> files
> for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
> ________________________________________________________
> To unsubscribe from this list, go to:
> http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365