Sphinx voice recognition

Mummert, Scott
Hi,
I'm only a casual user of MisterHouse. 4 months ago, I was considering
running it on Linux. But it sounded like there was no voice recognition
under Linux, so that was a deal breaker for me.

A guy in my robot club pointed me to the CMU Sphinx voice recognition
program, which can run under Linux:
http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php

I'm wondering why nobody in the MisterHouse community has incorporated
Sphinx into MH? Is there not enough Linux support? Or I'm missing
something.

Scott

Re: Sphinx voice recognition

Sean Walker
Mummert, Scott wrote:
> I'm wondering why nobody in the MisterHouse community has incorporated
> Sphinx into MH? Is there not enough Linux support? Or I'm missing
> something.

There is basic support using Sphinx2 in MH already. It "works" if you
can call it that. I decided not to spend any more of my time on it as
Sphinx2 is old and has been replaced by Sphinx4. I don't know Java so
writing anything for that has required the use of other programmers
found on this list (thanks Gregg!) and there is another basic version of
the integration there. It needs finished and some more work done to it
to make it actually usable by the general public. I'd love to work on
it, but just don't have the time to learn yet another programming
language. If you know Java, I'm sure that some work is left to be done,
so volunteer! :-)

--
Sean Walker
http://sean.surfmy.net/

Re: Sphinx voice recognition

Jim Duda
Administrator
Scott,

I use Sphinx2.  If you are adventerous, you can read the instructions in
the attached perl file and give it a go.  You have to install a few
things on your linux box.

Jim

Sean Walker wrote:

> Mummert, Scott wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering why nobody in the MisterHouse community has incorporated
>> Sphinx into MH? Is there not enough Linux support? Or I'm missing
>> something.
>>

> There is basic support using Sphinx2 in MH already. It "works" if you
> can call it that. I decided not to spend any more of my time on it as
> Sphinx2 is old and has been replaced by Sphinx4. I don't know Java so
> writing anything for that has required the use of other programmers
> found on this list (thanks Gregg!) and there is another basic version of
> the integration there. It needs finished and some more work done to it
> to make it actually usable by the general public. I'd love to work on
> it, but just don't have the time to learn yet another programming
> language. If you know Java, I'm sure that some work is left to be done,
> so volunteer! :-)

sphinx2.pl (3K) Download Attachment