Object dilema

Neil Cherry
One thing I have noticed with my Insteon devices is that I can manually
turn on an appliance attached to an Insteon module and it returns the
X10 address with the state (E1EOn for instance). How can I associate
the E1 state to the Insteon objects state?

BTW, I figured out how to set and Insteon device to On within MH and
it now reaches my driver as Z015507J. I used Z because X10 supports
I as a house code. This was the missing step I needed. I'll also
have to figure out a few other things like what happens to the
string once the driver passes it up to MH. That will allow me to
send and receive Insteon commands. So far it looks like I'll be
able to send real Insteon commands soon.

Thanks

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Object dilema

David Norwood-3
> One thing I have noticed with my Insteon devices is that I can manually
> turn on an appliance attached to an Insteon module and it returns the
> X10 address with the state (E1EOn for instance). How can I associate
> the E1 state to the Insteon objects state?

Does the device send a X10 message or an Insteon message or both?  You add
"on" states for both Z015507J and E1EJ, but I don't see why you need to
support X10 in your Insteon object.  Is your object a derivative of X10?

> BTW, I figured out how to set and Insteon device to On within MH and
> it now reaches my driver as Z015507J. I used Z because X10 supports
> I as a house code. This was the missing step I needed. I'll also
> have to figure out a few other things like what happens to the
> string once the driver passes it up to MH. That will allow me to
> send and receive Insteon commands. So far it looks like I'll be
> able to send real Insteon commands soon.

You're using J for on?  Yuck!  Insteon supports 256 commands and 256 sub
commands.  You are going to run out of letters quick.  Why not use the
actual two digit Insteon command and optionally the same for sub command?

Also, the Z is reserved for sending and receiving X10 extended data, but
that only applies to Serial_Item strings that start with X.  I think you
should separate your code from the X10 stuff.  There is no reason Insteon
commands should start with an X and look like X10 commands.

David

Re: Object dilema

Neil Cherry
David Norwood wrote:
>> One thing I have noticed with my Insteon devices is that I can manually
>> turn on an appliance attached to an Insteon module and it returns the
>> X10 address with the state (E1EOn for instance). How can I associate
>> the E1 state to the Insteon objects state?
>
> Does the device send a X10 message or an Insteon message or both?  You
> add "on" states for both Z015507J and E1EJ, but I don't see why you need
> to support X10 in your Insteon object.  Is your object a derivative of X10?

An Insteon device can be setup to respond to X10. When the device
connected to it is manually turned on/off the module will send an
X10 on/off. I may be controlling it but I need to link that manual
response to the Insteon object.

>> BTW, I figured out how to set and Insteon device to On within MH and
>> it now reaches my driver as Z015507J. I used Z because X10 supports
>> I as a house code. This was the missing step I needed. I'll also
>> have to figure out a few other things like what happens to the
>> string once the driver passes it up to MH. That will allow me to
>> send and receive Insteon commands. So far it looks like I'll be
>> able to send real Insteon commands soon.
>
> You're using J for on?  Yuck!  Insteon supports 256 commands and 256 sub
> commands.  You are going to run out of letters quick.  Why not use the
> actual two digit Insteon command and optionally the same for sub command?

I thought about this after I sent the message (while walking the
dogs) and double letters would be a better idea. I'm going to leave
it for now as I'm still working through various stuff but it will
need to be changed later to make sure I have full support for any
extensions of the Insteon protocol and I expect there will be a
few.

> Also, the Z is reserved for sending and receiving X10 extended data, but
> that only applies to Serial_Item strings that start with X.  I think you
> should separate your code from the X10 stuff.  There is no reason
> Insteon commands should start with an X and look like X10 commands.

Don't worry, I've figured out that I can actually use any lead
letter except X (it's X10). I've changed it to I. I'm learning that
I can bypass a lot of little things when sending. I'm not so sure
what I'll be able to do when receiving yet. The object oriented
module is pretty neat in Perl. My Insteon set overrides the X10
set so a lot of the things tied to X10 are not a problem for
Insteon. At least that's what I think at this moment. :-)

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Object dilema

David Norwood-3
> David Norwood wrote:
>>> One thing I have noticed with my Insteon devices is that I can manually
>>> turn on an appliance attached to an Insteon module and it returns the
>>> X10 address with the state (E1EOn for instance). How can I associate
>>> the E1 state to the Insteon objects state?
>>
>> Does the device send a X10 message or an Insteon message or both?  You
>> add "on" states for both Z015507J and E1EJ, but I don't see why you need
>> to support X10 in your Insteon object.  Is your object a derivative of
>> X10?
>
> An Insteon device can be setup to respond to X10. When the device
> connected to it is manually turned on/off the module will send an
> X10 on/off. I may be controlling it but I need to link that manual
> response to the Insteon object.

Am I correct that normally an Insteon sends an Insteon message when manually
turned on/off/dimmed, but sends X10 if "X10 compatibility" is turned on?  If
so, that is unfortunate.  That means it will be difficult to get dim status.
Anyway, I don't think two states can have the same name, so you might have
to name the E1EJ one something like "X10 On".

Do you know if the iplc can send and receive X10 extended data commands?

David

Re: Object dilema

Neil Cherry
David Norwood wrote:

>>> Does the device send a X10 message or an Insteon message or both?
>>> You add "on" states for both Z015507J and E1EJ, but I don't see why
>>> you need to support X10 in your Insteon object.  Is your object a
>>> derivative of X10?
>>
>> An Insteon device can be setup to respond to X10. When the device
>> connected to it is manually turned on/off the module will send an
>> X10 on/off. I may be controlling it but I need to link that manual
>> response to the Insteon object.
>
> Am I correct that normally an Insteon sends an Insteon message when
> manually turned on/off/dimmed, but sends X10 if "X10 compatibility" is
> turned on?  If so, that is unfortunate.  That means it will be difficult
> to get dim status. Anyway, I don't think two states can have the same
> name, so you might have to name the E1EJ one something like "X10 On".

I'm unsure of this but I think no. When an Insteon module is
configured for just Insteon it does not send a message (neither X10
or Insteon). We've bugged Insteon about this because I'd like to
know that a user has made a manual change. This is not true of the
SwitchLincs or KeyLincs.

> Do you know if the iplc can send and receive X10 extended data commands?

If by iplc you mean the hardware then yes it can receive them and
should be able to send them. If you mean my software (which I call
iplc, catchy name eh? ;-) then no not yet. But it will.

Neil Cherry wrote:

> David Norwood wrote:

>>> An Insteon device can be setup to respond to X10. When the device
>>> connected to it is manually turned on/off the module will send an
>>> X10 on/off. I may be controlling it but I need to link that manual
>>> response to the Insteon object.
>>
>> Am I correct that normally an Insteon sends an Insteon message when
>> manually turned on/off/dimmed, but sends X10 if "X10 compatibility" is
>> turned on?  If so, that is unfortunate.  That means it will be
>> difficult to get dim status. Anyway, I don't think two states can have
>> the same name, so you might have to name the E1EJ one something like
>> "X10 On".
>
> I'm unsure of this but I think no. When an Insteon module is
> configured for just Insteon it does not send a message (neither X10
> or Insteon). We've bugged Insteon about this because I'd like to
> know that a user has made a manual change. This is not true of the
> SwitchLincs or KeyLincs.
>
>> Do you know if the iplc can send and receive X10 extended data commands?
>
> If by iplc you mean the hardware then yes it can receive them and
> should be able to send them. If you mean my software (which I call
> iplc, catchy name eh? ;-) then no not yet. But it will.

Hmm, this looks interesting:

tie_event $tstate1 'print_log "TState item $state on pass $Loop_Count"';

I can tie a function to an Object. If the Insteon X10 address changes
then I can also change the Insteon object and vice-versa.

You know I'm just discovering that MH has all the documentation about
itself somewhat hidden. The more I search the more I find.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site