OT: perl question

Alan Womack
I need to install a perl cpan module on a server I don't have sufficient "permissions" for.  So I want to install the module into my home directory, but cannot find the make or make install command for destination of the compiled module..

Thanks
Alan

 make install dest=/home/arwomack01
Manifying blib/man3/Image::GD::Thumbnail.3pm
Warning: You do not have permissions to install into /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i686-linux at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114.
mkdir /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Image: Permission denied at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 176
make: *** [pure_site_install] Error 255

Re: OT: perl question

Tim Sailer-2
On Tue, January 24, 2006 14:50, Alan Womack said:
> I need to install a perl cpan module on a server I don't have sufficient
> "permissions" for.  So I want to install the module into my home
> directory, but cannot find the make or make install command for
> destination of the compiled module..

Typical install is

perl Makefile.PL
(answer questions, one should be install dir)
make
make install

If all else fails, look in the Makefile, change as needed.

Tim

Re: OT: perl question

Gaetan Lord
Tim Sailer said:
> On Tue, January 24, 2006 14:50, Alan Womack said:
>> I need to install a perl cpan module on a server I don't have sufficient
>> "permissions" for.  So I want to install the module into my home
>> directory, but cannot find the make or make install command for
>> destination of the compiled module..
>
> Typical install is
>
> perl Makefile.PL

Actually, this is the root way to do it.
What you should try is

perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/my/directory
make
make install

Note, the .pm file, is somwhere inside that directory
you will have to set the variables PERL5LIB, or
set the path in your perl program., ie
use lib "/my/directory";

This explain briefly, PERL5LIB and use lib
http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog3/ch31_13.htm