OT: my PHP-based music server

Scott Reston-3
This isn't at all MH related, but I thought some of you might be
interested in this. As a project to learn PHP and AJAX, I recently wrote
a web-based jukebox. It's pretty straight-forward, but very handy. Gets
a lot of use in my house and at the office I used to work in.

All of the software involved is free, except that I use a product called
MusicMagic Mixer to handle automatically indexing my collection and
returning search results. This program is pretty nifty (a simplified
version ships with Winamp). It analyzes your music acoustically and can
generate playlists that 'sound' like the songs you choose as seeds. It
costs $19.95 and can be purchased at:
http://music.predixis.com/purchase.jsp

more info at:
http://www.predixis.com/
http://forums.predixis.com/

As far as I know it should run anywhere you can run winamp and
musicmagic. I tested on XP.

Here's the details from a post I made to the forums at predixis.

http://forums.predixis.com/index.php?showtopic=1509

Any questions, reply off-list.

--

s:r {
  scott reston

Re: OT: my PHP-based music server

David Mark
Scott Reston <scott <at> therestons.com> writes:

> This isn't at all MH related, but I thought some of you might be
> interested in this. As a project to learn PHP and AJAX, I recently wrote
> a web-based jukebox. It's pretty straight-forward, but very handy. Gets
> a lot of use in my house and at the office I used to work in.

How does it compare to the mh mp3 pages, indexer, etc?

David Mark wrote:
> Scott Reston <scott <at> therestons.com> writes:
>
>> This isn't at all MH related, but I thought some of you might be
>> interested in this. As a project to learn PHP and AJAX, I recently wrote
>> a web-based jukebox. It's pretty straight-forward, but very handy. Gets
>> a lot of use in my house and at the office I used to work in.
>
> How does it compare to the mh mp3 pages, indexer, etc?

Not really sure - I've never used MH's mp3 indexing. This new music
server replaces the one I'd previously built in Coldfusion. This new one
has a lot of Ajaxy functions - the time counts down, the "what's
playing" list automatically keeps up-to-speed w/o page refreshes.

One of the things I'll be adding soon is an argument to automatically
play any search results so that I can tie it into MH. I'm still using
the coldfusion-based music server to do that. an example:

I wake up to music on weekdays. I have a folder with a set of batch
files that use wpdl.exe (you could use any similar http get) to send
arguments to my music server. MH will randomly pick one of the batch
files and run it, so I get either a themed mix, a mix from some favorite
artists or a straight album loaded. It's nice having variety, but not
entirely random.

The software I used to implement some functions of my server (MusicMagic
Mixer) also supports what they call 'moods'. you pick some songs to
define a mood, which essentially says 'play some songs that sound like
the ones i picked'. I'll be adding mood support to my music server in
the near future.

The software has a nice HTTP api for tweaking and playing.

--

s:r {
  scott reston