OT: Wink questions

Neil Cherry-3
Hey guys, looks like I went a different way than some of the folks here.
I have SmartThings (with MQTT) and I intend to add that to Misterhouse.
Right now I'm busy getting my Odroid-U3 setup with Ubuntu 14.x, then
MH 4.1 (Another TCF presentation on 3/19). What I'd like to know is
how well you like Wink. Also who bought it, did anyone (like Google)?

I'm using Z-Wave, ZigBee and my custom IP devices on SmartThings but
I haven't gotten a whole lot done with ST yet, just sensor data and
fire/Smoke/CO.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: OT: Wink questions

Larry Roudebush
Hello,
My wink does pretty well.  There are always wishes though.  Local control is absent, I thought of doing some packet sniffing against the ios application to see whats going on, but time has not been on my side.  I have both wink items and iris items tied to to the wink, so I think that covers both zigbee and zwave.  I know blue tooth is also available on the wink, but, support is limited to what wink supports.  In fact I am always nervous trying to figure out what is supported and what is not.  The smart phone app is pretty good, robots (supported if then than that) are limited.  The api is open, but, I question if you have to contact wink to establish the ability to use a generic api. I have MH query wink every minute, but run a 4 second MH pause on each request.  Thought about forking, but, wow, thats hard to control.

Overall, I would like to get some motion detectors that are supported and use the wink robots, but I am waiting for home deport to clearance them.

Finally you can check out http://wiki.winkathome.net/ for another users one stop explanation about some things.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       [hidden email]

On 03/02/2016 04:59 PM, Larry Roudebush wrote:

> Hello, My wink does pretty well.  There are always wishes though.  Local control is
> absent, I thought of doing some packet sniffing against the ios application to see
> whats going on, but time has not been on my side.  I have both wink items and iris
> items tied to to the wink, so I think that covers both zigbee and zwave.  I know blue
> tooth is also available on the wink, but, support is limited to what wink supports.  In
> fact I am always nervous trying to figure out what is supported and what is not.  The
> smart phone app is pretty good, robots (supported if then than that) are limited.  The
> api is open, but, I question if you have to contact wink to establish the ability to
> use a generic api. I have MH query wink every minute, but run a 4 second MH pause on
> each request.  Thought about forking, but, wow, thats hard to control.
>
> Overall, I would like to get some motion detectors that are supported and use the wink
>  robots, but I am waiting for home deport to clearance them.
>
> Finally you can check out http://wiki.winkathome.net/ for another users one stop
> explanation about some things.

 From what you've said, it sounds like Wink and SmartThings are mostly
similar. No BlueTooth yet for ST, ST supports cloud to cloud via oauth,
it can communicate local from hub to UPNP or REST interface (initiated
by the hub, not from device to hub). There is a couple of rules engines
for ST but I haven't checked those out yet.

Basically I've been playing with ST to MQTT via a Node.js REST bridge.
The ST part is in Groovy and the Node.js in Javascript.

My devices so far are ST and Iris contact sensors, 1st Alert Fire alarms
a Z-Wave switch, ZigBee outlet, some virtual devices and my
Fubarino/Teensy/Arduino boards. Like I said, no logic other than Dusk/Dawn
control of the outlet.

I'll check out the wiki and see what I can learn. Thanks.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies