Quantcast

New MH install won't start

Jeff Siddall
I am trying to test MH by using a CentOS 6 live Linux USB stick.  I
tried installing both master and stable with a generic mh.private.ini
but neither runs.  The error is the same (attached below) apparently in
json_server.pl.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get MH running?

Thanks,

Jeff

----------

[liveuser@livecd misterhouse-stable]$ bin/mhl

Deleting startup file
Running mh

Command: mh
Pgm  path   : /home/liveuser/misterhouse-stable/bin
Pgm  version: 4.1
Last updated: Sun Jul 10 13:01:18 2016
Perl version: 5.010001
OS   version: linux linux
Other       : user=liveuser pid=8591 box=livecd.localdomain cpu=-

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA.

Read parameter files: ./mh.ini ./mh.private.ini
Code Directories:
  - ./../../local/code
  - ./../code/common

Audio::Mixer not installed ... volume control is disabled

Starting setup
  - using simple Text distance function
Type of arg 1 to keys must be hash (not hash element) at
/home/liveuser/misterhouse-stable/bin/../lib/json_server.pl line 220,
near "} )
             "
Compilation failed in require at mh line 862.
  at mh line 31
         main::__ANON__('Type of arg 1 to keys must be hash (not hash
element) at /hom...') called at mh line 862
         main::setup called at mh line 8213
mh rc=255
mh failed on startup ... will not restart

Re: New MH install won't start

H Plato
So a few things,

  - Looks like stable got updated with the latest IA7 code. Lieven, I might have done this unintentionally. Is there any way to revert stable back to 4.1?
  - The code that's having problems is the for loop:

# Look at the client ip overrides, and replace any pref key with the client_ip specific item
if ( defined $json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{ $Http{Client_address} } )
        {
            print_log "Json_Server.pl: Client override section for $Http{Client_address} found";
            for my $key (keys $json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}}->{ $Http{Client_address} } )
            {

- This is non-essential code, it allows for setting specific ia7 settings per client machine (I use iPads for web access to MH around the house, so I can set web audio on for example). As a workaround, comment out lines 211 to 231 in json_server.pl and see if it starts.

- That’s an old version of perl, I recall there was a method to accommodate old versions of perl for hashes. I’ll look into it.

On 2016-07-24 09:04, H Plato wrote:
> - This is non-essential code, it allows for setting specific ia7
> settings per client machine (I use iPads for web access to MH around
> the house, so I can set web audio on for example). As a workaround,
> comment out lines 211 to 231 in json_server.pl and see if it starts.

Well... didn't start with those lines commented but if I commented only
lines 211 to 230 it worked great!

> - That’s an old version of perl, I recall there was a method to
> accommodate old versions of perl for hashes. I’ll look into it.

If I interpret this correctly:

Perl version: 5.010001

It is 5.010.001 which makes sense because EL6 comes with perl 5.10.1,
which is not new but does meet the minimum 5.8 requirement documented
for MH.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jeff

Re: New MH install won't start

H Plato
Thanks Jeff. 5.10 should absolutely be supported, I misread the version number.

Can you try this:

Change

           for my $key (keys $json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{ $Http{Client_address} } )

           for my $key (keys %{$json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{ $Http{Client_address}}} )

On perl 5.18 that is valid syntax.

This is a better change since:

Starting with Perl 5.14, keys can take a scalar EXPR, which must contain a reference to an unblessed hash or array. The argument will be dereferenced automatically. This aspect of keys is considered highly experimental. The exact behaviour may change in a future version of Perl.

On 2016-07-24 15:14, H Plato wrote:

> Thanks Jeff. 5.10 should absolutely be supported, I misread the
> version number.
>
> Can you try this:
>
> Change
>
>  for my $key (keys $json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{
> $Http{Client_address} } )

>  for my $key (keys %{$json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{
> $Http{Client_address}}} )
>
> On perl 5.18 that is valid syntax.
>
> This is a better change since:
>
> Starting with Perl 5.14, keys can take a scalar EXPR, which must
> contain a reference to an unblessed hash or array. The argument will
> be dereferenced automatically. This aspect of keys is considered
> highly experimental. The exact behaviour may change in a future
> version of Perl.

Yup, now it starts fine with that change on perl 5.10.1

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: New MH install won't start

H Plato
Thanks Jeff, I’ll make that change and update master

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 5:01 PM, Jeff Siddall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2016-07-24 15:14, H Plato wrote:
>> Thanks Jeff. 5.10 should absolutely be supported, I misread the
>> version number.
>>
>> Can you try this:
>>
>> Change
>>
>> for my $key (keys $json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{
>> $Http{Client_address} } )

>> for my $key (keys %{$json_data{'ia7_config'}->{clients}->{
>> $Http{Client_address}}} )
>>
>> On perl 5.18 that is valid syntax.
>>
>> This is a better change since:
>>
>> Starting with Perl 5.14, keys can take a scalar EXPR, which must
>> contain a reference to an unblessed hash or array. The argument will
>> be dereferenced automatically. This aspect of keys is considered
>> highly experimental. The exact behaviour may change in a future
>> version of Perl.
>
> Yup, now it starts fine with that change on perl 5.10.1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Re: New MH install won't start

Lieven Hollevoet
Hello Howard,

 - Looks like stable got updated with the latest IA7 code. Lieven, I might have done this unintentionally. Is there any way to revert stable back to 4.1?

I’ve checked and indeed, you have been merging a few pull requests into the stable branch.

Stable 4.1 is available here:

I don’t know if it makes sense to revert the commit, it might make more sense to start thinking about a new stable release? It has been a while since the last release…

Best regards,
 Lieven.

Op 24-jul.-2016, om 15:04 heeft H Plato <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Administrator
Hello,

I’ve reverted the pull request on the github repo, so the stable branch now points back to the 4.1 release.

Kind regards,
 Lieven.