Monitoring water flow?

ricks03
I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.

Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

ricks03

I'm not sure where I would be able to monitor the dehumidifier
without pulling it wildly apart. I was thinking a water or flow sensor?

Rick

At 09:51 PM 5/1/2017, Spencer Ryan wrote:

>Current sensing relay (
><https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y
>)
>
>And hook the output of that up to a RaspberryPi's GPIO, or a Insteon
>low voltage sense module, or whatever you've got.
>
>On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rick Steeves
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
>Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
>not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
>Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Greg Moeller
Possibly put it on a power sensing outlet switch?  (I know of Zwave
units, not sure about insteon)

I just read an article where someone was using one to monitor his
dishwasher and washing machine.

(Article for the curious
http://philhawthorne.com/making-dumb-dishwashers-and-washing-machines-smart-alerts-when-the-dishes-and-clothes-are-cleaned/
)

The dishwasher used differing amounts of power for each part of the
cycle and when it was done would go into a standby state that was easy
to tell from the other power levels.

The dehumidifier should have a number of states.

Fan/compressor/pump in any of a number of combinations. (and off)

Shouldn't be too hard to keep an eye on the power levels and make sure
the pump runs once N awhile.

Greg

On 2017-05-01 5:24 PM, Rick Steeves wrote:

> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
> Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Spencer Ryan
I'd be worried that in a small unit you wouldn't be able to tell the pump from the "noise" of the compressor and fan, or the accuracy of the meter wouldn't be high enough. I've got a cheap one from Lowes that draws quite a bit of amps, and I can't imagine the tiny little pump in there is more than a few watts total.

Which is why taking it apart and putting a current sensing relay in it might be the most accurate. But at that point just put a whole relay + RPi in there and bam, IoT humidifier.

On 2017-05-01 5:24 PM, Rick Steeves wrote:
> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
> Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Jeff Siddall
> At 09:51 PM 5/1/2017, Spencer Ryan wrote:
>> Current sensing relay (
>> <https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y
>> )
>>
>> And hook the output of that up to a RaspberryPi's GPIO, or a Insteon
>> low voltage sense module, or whatever you've got.
>>
>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rick Steeves
>> <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
>> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
>> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.

First off consider doing this using an Arduino running MySensors to
interface to MH.  Inexpensive and flexible in terms of what can be
sensed, but of course with a bit more DIY than commercial solutions.

Second decide how/what you want to measure.  A zero intrusion solution
would be to detect the water that is pumped out using something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb

or if you are just dumping the water to a drain maybe something like
this at the outlet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Water-Level-Sensor-Depth-Of-Detection-Water-Sensor-For-Arduino-New-Ic-/132178231005?hash=item1ec66fbedd:g:N0cAAOSwHMJYHUhJ

Alternatively you could measure current to the pump motor itself.  This
is a current transformer so you just need to pass the pump motor wire
_through_ the sensor rather than connect it _to_ the sensor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF

There are other options available also, like sensing the water level in
the tank in the humidifier.

Good luck!

Jeff

Re: Fwd: Monitoring water flow?

ricks03
I picked up a couple of these flow sensors:

><http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb>http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb

I've got an arduino (and for that matter a Pi).
I'm trying to figure out the best way to
collect/report/integrate the data to MH,
preferably into the weather graphs system. I can
probably cadge something from the rainfall data
collection system, but I'm several steps removed
from understanding how to get there. The water
sensor will be a long way from where I have the MH server.

Once I have the Pi (preferred given I have one
physically located near where I want the water
sensor) what's the "best" way to get that
collected data integrated back into MH? (I also
pick the Pi because I have a full OS/network
running on the Pi for reporting, which seems
easier than however I would get the data from the arduino to the MH server).

Rick

>From: Jeff Siddall <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]>
>Date: Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM
>Subject: Re: [mh] Monitoring water flow?
><mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]
>

> > At 09:51 PM 5/1/2017, Spencer Ryan wrote:
> >> Current sensing relay (
> >>
> <<https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y
> >> )
> >>
> >> And hook the output of that up to a RaspberryPi's GPIO, or a Insteon
> >> low voltage sense module, or whatever you've got.
> >>
> >> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rick Steeves
> >>
> <<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
> >> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
> >> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
>First off consider doing this using an Arduino running MySensors to
>interface to MH.  Inexpensive and flexible in terms of what can be
>sensed, but of course with a bit more DIY than commercial solutions.
>
>Second decide how/what you want to measure.  A zero intrusion solution
>would be to detect the water that is pumped out using something like this:
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb>http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb
>
>or if you are just dumping the water to a drain maybe something like
>this at the outlet:
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Water-Level-Sensor-Depth-Of-Detection-Water-Sensor-For-Arduino-New-Ic-/132178231005?hash=item1ec66fbedd:g:N0cAAOSwHMJYHUhJ>http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Water-Level-Sensor-Depth-Of-Detection-Water-Sensor-For-Arduino-New-Ic-/132178231005?hash=item1ec66fbedd:g:N0cAAOSwHMJYHUhJ
>
>Alternatively you could measure current to the pump motor itself.  This
>is a current transformer so you just need to pass the pump motor wire
>_through_ the sensor rather than connect it _to_ the sensor.
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF
>
>There are other options available also, like sensing the water level in
>the tank in the humidifier.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Jeff

Re: Fwd: Monitoring water flow?

Lieven Hollevoet
Hello Rick,

one of the things you could consider to get data into MisterHouse is using xPL or MQTT. MisterHouse supports both.

You could consider to connect the sensor directly to the Pi (GPIO access) but be aware that you’ll need a level shifter (the sensor is 5V, the Rpi is 3V3). You can do that with a simple resistive divider. Or you can attach the sensor to the Arduino and connect the Ardiuno over USB to the Rpi.

Should you consider going the xPL route, you can find some example scripts to convert a serial input (over USB or real serial, doesn’t matter) to xPL here:

https://github.com/hollie/xpl-perl/blob/master/lib/xPL/Dock/Jeenodes.pm#L390

(Note: that code still needs further cleanup as I cloned it from the Plugwise code I wrote that is in the same folder, so function names are still to be updated, but it is better to share ugly code that not to share code :-)

Basic idea is then: sensor >> Arduino >> Rpi >> network (UDP) >> xPL >> MisterHouse.

More info on using xPL with MisterHouse is here: https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/xPL---Integrating-Common-Devices-and-Applications

Best regards,
 Lieven.

> [...]
>>
>> Alternatively you could measure current to the pump motor itself.  This
>> is a current transformer so you just need to pass the pump motor wire
>> _through_ the sensor rather than connect it _to_ the sensor.
>>
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF
>>
>> There are other options available also, like sensing the water level in

H Plato
I added in Solar Radiation monitoring to my RRD setup. I had to add some additional data sources to the RRD, which then I think Ihad to customize some of the MH code (bin/get_weather and code/common rrd module). You know, it might make sense to add 30 or so additional DS placeholders so that MH can include more data. Lieven, do you see a downside to this?

I track utility usage via SDR, and then use MQTT to send it to MH. Graphing it would be a good idea. Right now I only send MH when there are usage changes, so I’d be curious how others track and graph their consumption.

On Jun 3, 2017, at 1:23 AM, Lieven Hollevoet <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The example I showed was non-weather data in the RRD. The Solar Radiation comes from an updated oxc and a one-wire solar radiation sensor. However to graph it, I had to add data sources to the RRD. I have all the pieces to do what you want, just don’t quite know how to graph it.

Right now I get utility data via MQTT, with this usercode:

require mqtt; #noloop

$mqtt1 = new mqtt('mqtt', '127.0.0.1', 1883, 'home/#', "", "", 121);

$water_delta = new mqtt_Item($mqtt1, "home/water");
$gas_delta = new mqtt_Item($mqtt1, "home/gas");
$power_delta = new mqtt_Item($mqtt1, "home/power");

$t_water_data = new Timer;
$t_power_data = new Timer;
$t_gas_data = new Timer;

$v_print_timer = new Voice_Cmd("Print [water,gas,power,all] timer data to the log file");
$v_print_data = new Voice_Cmd("Print [water,gas,power,all] mqtt data to the log file");

if ($Startup) {
set $emon_data_status "online";
set $t_water_data 24*60*60;
start $t_water_data;
set $t_gas_data 2*60*60;
start $t_gas_data;
set $t_power_data 70*60;
start $t_power_data;
}

if (state_changed $water_delta) {
print_log "[mqtt_emon]: Water changed " . state $water_delta . " dM3";
}
if (state_now $water_delta) {
stop $t_water_data;
set $t_water_data 24*60*60;
start $t_water_data;
}
if (expired $t_water_data) {
print_log "[mqtt_emon]: WARNING: Water Data Expired, check Source!";
}

And I track the HVAC states (heating and cooling), with this usercode. This creates the shading on the RRD graph if the furnaces are heating or cooling:

if (my $state = state_changed $thermostat_upper) {
  if (lc $state eq "heating") {
    $Weather{TempSpare9} = int(1);
    $Weather{TempSpare10} = int(0);
  } elsif (lc $state eq "cooling") {
    $Weather{TempSpare9} = int(0);
    $Weather{TempSpare10} = int(1);
  } else {
    $Weather{TempSpare9} = int(0);
    $Weather{TempSpare10} = int(0);
 }

So to do what you want, create the mqtt item, and then when it’s state changes, write the value to a $Weather{TempSpareX} item. It’s then logged and accessible in the weather station.

Maybe for 4.3, we can add a bunch of $Weather{DataX} items for additional data sources? Maybe call it something other than Weather Station (carryover name from IA5)?

On Jun 4, 2017, at 8:58 AM, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

[...]

ggodart
Rick

I have a number of Arduinos reporting sensor values into Misterhouse via
xPL. I use xPL for 2 reasons, firstly it uses broadcast messages via IP
multicast, so no worries about range.  I have 2 raspberry pis that
watchdog each other, so if one is down the other takes over, since the
messages are broadcast, I don't have to worry about this as both Pis see
all the sensor values. Secondly it has a heartbeat mechanism that
broadcasts every few seconds, thus I can check if a device is down by
having a perl script look for these and spot if they are missing for a
period of time, if so it emails me to say the sensor is down.

I'll send you an individual email with more detail and some sample code

Giles

On 02/06/2017 17:06, Rick Steeves wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> Alternatively you could measure current to the pump motor itself.  This
>> is a current transformer so you just need to pass the pump motor wire
>> _through_ the sensor rather than connect it _to_ the sensor.
>>
>> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF
>>

>> There are other options available also, like sensing the water level in

Hello Howard,

> Op 3 jun. 2017, om 20:19 heeft H Plato <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> You know, it might make sense to add 30 or so additional DS placeholders so that MH can include more data. Lieven, do you see a downside to this?

No downsides according to me, this makes sense.

I’m currently collecting all my data in RRD databases that run parallel to MisterHouse and that get populated by a single script that fetches all xPL messages and stores the data in an RRD database per object that generates data. So MisterHouse itself is not collecting any data into databases for me.

To support such setup, we could consider adding the option to point to external RRD files and just fetch the data from those instead of adding placeholders…

Best regards,
 Lieven.

Re: Fwd: Monitoring water flow?

ricks03

If you go that path, it'd be nice to have both.

For anyone already using the RRD in MH,
permitting extending that is a lot easier than
having to set up a separate external environment.

Rick

At 03:21 PM 6/5/2017, Lieven Hollevoet wrote:

>Hello Howard,
>
> > Op 3 jun. 2017, om 20:19 heeft H Plato
> <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > You know, it might make sense to add 30 or so
> additional DS placeholders so that MH can
> include more data. Lieven, do you see a downside to this?
>
>No downsides according to me, this makes sense.
>
>I’m currently collecting all my data in RRD
>databases that run parallel to MisterHouse and
>that get populated by a single script that
>fetches all xPL messages and stores the data in
>an RRD database per object that generates data.
>So MisterHouse itself is not collecting any data into databases for me.
>
>To support such setup, we could consider adding
>the option to point to external RRD files and
>just fetch the data from those instead of adding placeholders…
>Best regards,
>  Lieven.

Re: Monitoring water flow?

H Plato
OK, in the latest version of master, weather_rrd_update.pl has been updated to add 35 data sources, 5 more tempSpares, 20 generic GAUGE items, and 10 generic DERIVE items. I also updated it to support a ‘noconvert’ mh.ini parameter setting. For those of us using Celsius, don’t want to necessary convert every temp value — for example., I use a TempSpare as a 1 or 0 if the furnace is on or off to get the nice area graph overlays.

Lieven, I added a source=<name> option to the json server, so it should be possible to use the MH RRD/Graphing engine with other sources. Add in the following to mh.ini:

rrd_source_<name>
rrd_source_<name>_path

for example

rrd_source_test = other.rrd
rrd_source_test_path = /opt/service/rrd_location

and then

curl 'http://mhip/json/rrd?start=now-2day&source=test&time=0' —compressed

will return data from that RRD.

Note, the ia7_rrd_config.json file might have to be updated as I haven’t tested this. I don’t have any other RRDs so if you want to help out on this, we can get the functionality included in the next release.

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 7:34 PM, Rick Steeves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> If you go that path, it'd be nice to have both.
>
> For anyone already using the RRD in MH, permitting extending that is a lot easier than having to set up a separate external environment.
>
> Rick
>

> At 03:21 PM 6/5/2017, Lieven Hollevoet wrote:
>> Hello Howard,
>>
>> > Op 3 jun. 2017, om 20:19 heeft H Plato <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>> >
>> > You know, it might make sense to add 30 or so additional DS placeholders so that MH can include more data. Lieven, do you see a downside to this?
>>
>> No downsides according to me, this makes sense.
>>
>> I’m currently collecting all my data in RRD databases that run parallel to MisterHouse and that get populated by a single script that fetches all xPL messages and stores the data in an RRD database per object that generates data. So MisterHouse itself is not collecting any data into databases for me.
>>
>> To support such setup, we could consider adding the option to point to external RRD files and just fetch the data from those instead of adding placeholders
>
>> Best regards,
>> Lieven.

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello Howard,

much appreciated thanks, I’ll try this out over the weekend!

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 18 jun. 2017, om 19:27 heeft H Plato <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Lieven, I added a source=<name> option to the json server, so it should be possible to use the MH RRD/Graphing engine with other sources. Add in the following to mh.ini:
>
> rrd_source_<name>
> rrd_source_<name>_path
>
> for example
>
> rrd_source_test = other.rrd
> rrd_source_test_path = /opt/service/rrd_location
>
> and then
>
> curl 'http://mhip/json/rrd?start=now-2day&source=test&time=0' —compressed
>
> will return data from that RRD.
>
> Note, the ia7_rrd_config.json file might have to be updated as I haven’t tested this. I don’t have any other RRDs so if you want to help out on this, we can get the functionality included in the next release.

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello Howard,

the pull request you merged for external RRD support is working fine!

I only had to add the name of the dataset to the URL parameters because I’m not using the default DS name that is used by MisterHouse in my database. So the test curl command looked like this in my case (for DS=temp):

curl 'http://localhost:8080/json/rrd?start=now-6h&source=test&time=0&ds=temp' —compressed

I also had to update the generated entry in the data/web/ia7_rrd_config.json file to change the ‘type’ declaration of the dataset in the database to ‘custom’ instead of the default ‘temperature’ to avoid that the data is converted before begin reported over JSON.

Now the only thing I need to figure out further is how to create a page to actually display the data in the MisterHouse web interface :-)

Thanks for adding the support for this!

Best regards,
 Lieven.