Quantcast

Monitoring water flow?

ricks03
I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.

Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

ricks03

I'm not sure where I would be able to monitor the dehumidifier
without pulling it wildly apart. I was thinking a water or flow sensor?

Rick

At 09:51 PM 5/1/2017, Spencer Ryan wrote:

>Current sensing relay (
><https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y
>)
>
>And hook the output of that up to a RaspberryPi's GPIO, or a Insteon
>low voltage sense module, or whatever you've got.
>
>On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rick Steeves
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
>Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
>not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
>Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Greg Moeller
Possibly put it on a power sensing outlet switch?  (I know of Zwave
units, not sure about insteon)

I just read an article where someone was using one to monitor his
dishwasher and washing machine.

(Article for the curious
http://philhawthorne.com/making-dumb-dishwashers-and-washing-machines-smart-alerts-when-the-dishes-and-clothes-are-cleaned/
)

The dishwasher used differing amounts of power for each part of the
cycle and when it was done would go into a standby state that was easy
to tell from the other power levels.

The dehumidifier should have a number of states.

Fan/compressor/pump in any of a number of combinations. (and off)

Shouldn't be too hard to keep an eye on the power levels and make sure
the pump runs once N awhile.

Greg

On 2017-05-01 5:24 PM, Rick Steeves wrote:

> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
> Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Spencer Ryan
I'd be worried that in a small unit you wouldn't be able to tell the pump from the "noise" of the compressor and fan, or the accuracy of the meter wouldn't be high enough. I've got a cheap one from Lowes that draws quite a bit of amps, and I can't imagine the tiny little pump in there is more than a few watts total.

Which is why taking it apart and putting a current sensing relay in it might be the most accurate. But at that point just put a whole relay + RPi in there and bam, IoT humidifier.

On 2017-05-01 5:24 PM, Rick Steeves wrote:
> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.
>
> Rick

Re: Monitoring water flow?

Jeff Siddall
> At 09:51 PM 5/1/2017, Spencer Ryan wrote:
>> Current sensing relay (
>> <https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y>https://www.amazon.com/Generalaire-Aprilaire-Current-Sensing-Relay/dp/B000UUU51Y
>> )
>>
>> And hook the output of that up to a RaspberryPi's GPIO, or a Insteon
>> low voltage sense module, or whatever you've got.
>>
>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rick Steeves
>> <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've got two dehumidifiers with pumps in them that drain the tank.
>> Any suggestions on how to monitor each time they pump water out? I'm
>> not really worried about volume, just knowing when they're running.

First off consider doing this using an Arduino running MySensors to
interface to MH.  Inexpensive and flexible in terms of what can be
sensed, but of course with a bit more DIY than commercial solutions.

Second decide how/what you want to measure.  A zero intrusion solution
would be to detect the water that is pumped out using something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-30L-min-1-2MPa-Hall-Effect-Flowmeter-Control-Water-Flow-Sensor-For-Arduino-PO8-/192175408891?hash=item2cbe8c06fb:g:NxUAAOSwPhdVEOBb

or if you are just dumping the water to a drain maybe something like
this at the outlet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Water-Level-Sensor-Depth-Of-Detection-Water-Sensor-For-Arduino-New-Ic-/132178231005?hash=item1ec66fbedd:g:N0cAAOSwHMJYHUhJ

Alternatively you could measure current to the pump motor itself.  This
is a current transformer so you just need to pass the pump motor wire
_through_ the sensor rather than connect it _to_ the sensor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-Current-Meter-AC-0-5A-Ammeter-Sensor-Board-for-Arduino-MCU-UNO-PIC-AVR-/162136721044?hash=item25c01a0694:g:yUUAAOSwanRXh1uF

There are other options available also, like sensing the water level in
the tank in the humidifier.

Good luck!

Jeff