Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Evan Graham
So I have achieved a reasonable level of Audrey reliability using a
combination of occasional soft and hard reboots initiated from MH.
Occasionally a reboot will end with a failure to connect to the network.
  A second reboot often cures this.

I would like to be able to monitor each of my Audreys from MH and
initiate another reboot if the network connection fails.  Has anyone
developed a method to do this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Evan

Re: Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Matthew Williams-2
Evan Graham wrote:
> I would like to be able to monitor each of my Audreys from MH and
> initiate another reboot if the network connection fails.  Has anyone
> developed a method to do this?  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan

How about adding a cronjob on the Audrey that touches a file on a network
share every 5 minutes?  You could then use mh to monitor the file and if the
 current time - file time > 10 minutes, then you can be pretty sure that the
Audrey is dead.

Matt

Re: Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Pete Flaherty
Evan,
Have you looked at the code/bruce/audrey_bruce.pl
I think that may hold the answers to your Questions.

Which Image are you running on the audrey ?
Are you running DHCP on the Audrey ?
I ask as I recently have been playing with some network startup tweaks
taht may help

-Pete Flaherty

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 12:35 -0600, Evan Graham wrote:

> So I have achieved a reasonable level of Audrey reliability using a
> combination of occasional soft and hard reboots initiated from MH.
> Occasionally a reboot will end with a failure to connect to the network.
>   A second reboot often cures this.
>
> I would like to be able to monitor each of my Audreys from MH and
> initiate another reboot if the network connection fails.  Has anyone
> developed a method to do this?  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan

Re: Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Evan Graham
Pete,

Looks like the example cited below would work except that I have not
been able to get ping to work across the DMZ that I have MH running in.
   I suppose I could change this setup by moving the Audreys to the same
interface but I was not sure if there was a problem with having them out
in the DMZ.

The MisterAudrey image I am running is old -- I installed it quite some
time ago.  How can I tell quickly which one it is?  My Audreys are all
set up with static IP addresses.

Evan

Pete Flaherty wrote:

> Evan,
> Have you looked at the code/bruce/audrey_bruce.pl
> I think that may hold the answers to your Questions.
>
> Which Image are you running on the audrey ?
> Are you running DHCP on the Audrey ?
> I ask as I recently have been playing with some network startup tweaks
> taht may help
>
> -Pete Flaherty

Re: Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Pete Flaherty
Evan,

Putting an audrey int your  DMZ could be asking for trouble, not
recomended. What type of Router/device are you using for the
interfaces ??? I may be able to help

On the more recent versions of MrAudrey the version info is available
throuth the channel manager page via the "About Audrey" button on the
bottom.
Older versions (and I may have missed some early patch levesl) through a
web browser pointed to the audrey eg http://AudreyIP/SystemProfile.shtml
This should work on ay version of the image, including the originals.

-Pete

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 14:16 -0600, Evan Graham wrote:

> Pete,
>
> Looks like the example cited below would work except that I have not
> been able to get ping to work across the DMZ that I have MH running in.
>    I suppose I could change this setup by moving the Audreys to the same
> interface but I was not sure if there was a problem with having them out
> in the DMZ.
>
> The MisterAudrey image I am running is old -- I installed it quite some
> time ago.  How can I tell quickly which one it is?  My Audreys are all
> set up with static IP addresses.
>
> Evan
>

> Pete Flaherty wrote:
> > Evan,
> > Have you looked at the code/bruce/audrey_bruce.pl
> > I think that may hold the answers to your Questions.
> >
> > Which Image are you running on the audrey ?
> > Are you running DHCP on the Audrey ?
> > I ask as I recently have been playing with some network startup tweaks
> > taht may help
> >
> > -Pete Flaherty

Re: Monitoring Audrey for Network Connection Failure

Evan Graham
Pete,

I sent some more details of my firewall setup to you directly at
[hidden email].

Evan