Misterhouse Docker Image

Jason Sharpee
Hi All,

   Just thought I would create a Misterhouse Docker Image and share if anyone is interested in a easy to run and lightweight MH experience.

Just map the /usr/src/misterhouse/local volume to folder in your host and it will look for the mh.private.ini file from there.  Feel free to steal the dockerfile and ingest in the Hollie branch if youd like.   The zonyl branch will start to contain some of the tweak's I have done over the years shortly (as soon as I find time to forward port them) so you may not want to track that for too long.

Comments / Questions / Etc welcome.

-J

--
Jason Sharpee

Re: Misterhouse Docker Image

Lieven Hollevoet
Administrator
Hello Jason,

very interesting.

This could be a way to bundle ‘harder-to-build’ modules together with the MisterHouse code in a single package that is guaranteed to run on every system where people want to run MisterHouse on.

A question: what hardware do you run this on? Does the docker container/layer add lots of extra load? Would this run on a computer with limited resources like e.g. a RPi?

Best regards,
 Lieven.

Op 8 feb. 2017, om 22:06 heeft Jason Sharpee <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Hi All,

   Just thought I would create a Misterhouse Docker Image and share if anyone is interested in a easy to run and lightweight MH experience.

Just map the /usr/src/misterhouse/local volume to folder in your host and it will look for the mh.private.ini file from there.  Feel free to steal the dockerfile and ingest in the Hollie branch if youd like.   The zonyl branch will start to contain some of the tweak's I have done over the years shortly (as soon as I find time to forward port them) so you may not want to track that for too long.

Comments / Questions / Etc welcome.

-J

--
Jason Sharpee

Re: Misterhouse Docker Image

Jason Sharpee
Yes, it was my intention to create a "run everywhere consistently" experience.    Also running ZoneMinder in this manner.   Technically speaking this base image of linux included needs only 6MB of RAM + whatever misterhouse uses.   DockerD running native on Linux as a host consumes hardly any overheard.

 It is running on a Windows 10 machine with "Boot2Docker" as the container engine in VBOX.  (Sadly, I couldnt use Windows 10 native dockerd due to the limitation of serial port virtualization)

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Lieven Hollevoet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Reviving Insteon fast on/off discussion

Jeff Siddall
I read through the discussion here:

https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/issues/438

Re: Reviving Insteon fast on/off discussion

Jeff Siddall
Let me try that again without sending prematurely...

I read through the discussion here:

https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/issues/438

but it seems there was no resolution.

If I read krkeegan's comments correctly my vote would be for something
like his option 3.  I don't like the idea of having separate MH "items"
for the switch and the load because they aren't physically separate, and
thus the object model wouldn't reflect reality.

However, I personally don't think adding parameters/methods would be
un-friendly because things would work exactly as they do today unless
you wanted to do more.

I could see adding something like "switch_state_now" to a SwitchLinc
Relay device where the switch_state could be "fast_on" but the load
state would remain simply "on" as it is today.  If that is too much
work, as krkeegan implies, then I would be fine with a command that just
returned the last command.  Presumably you could do something like:

((state_now $object eq ON) && (command $object eq on_fast))

which is fine also.

Jeff