Quantcast

MH and Embedded Linux

TR2005b
I have been considering a new platform for home automation and security
because the proprietary controllers that I've been using for years seem
rigid
and obsolete next to the open source offerings of late.  I found the
MisterHome
site through web-search research and I wonder:

Has anyone been able to get MH running on a low-power embedded Linux
single-board-computer?
There are several interesting units out there in the $149 range
(quantity one) and it seems like an ideal
platform to replace the $800 closed boards I've been using.

Thanks.

Re: MH and Embedded Linux

David Lynch Jr.
TR2005b wrote:

> I have been considering a new platform for home automation and security
> because the proprietary controllers that I've been using for years seem
> rigid
> and obsolete next to the open source offerings of late.  I found the
> MisterHome
> site through web-search research and I wonder:
>
> Has anyone been able to get MH running on a low-power embedded Linux
> single-board-computer?
> There are several interesting units out there in the $149 range
> (quantity one) and it seems like an ideal
> platform to replace the $800 closed boards I've been using.
>
> Thanks.

        If you want a dedicated "embedded" system for running mh - pick up an
old laptop from eBay. You can probably get something with most
everything you need for the cost of an embedded system that has alot
less. Laptops - particularly older ones tend to be fairly low power.

        I do embedded development work. I just completed porting Linux to the
Pico E-12 http://www.picocomputing.com a 300mhz PPC 405 with 64mb of
flash and 128mb of ram on a compact flash card. It has substantially
more horsepower than MisterHouse needs. It uses about 400mw of power.

        What it is not is cheap - about $3.5K each.

        mh can likely be made to run on most anything that can run linux. But
for the same amount of $ you will get more performance and capability
from an older laptop.

RE: MH and Embedded Linux

Jim Serack
I think it might be possible to port mh to the Linksys NSLU2 which has a
group dedicated to running a linux distribution on the box - one that
already supports perl.
It runs on about 8 watts. I think most people should be able to find a place
to buy one under $120 US.
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

Jim

Re: MH and Embedded Linux

Jason Sharpee

If you are using the same "closed board" system I was selling to
customers for $800 (JDS), I had gone back to those customers and dropped
MINI ITX boards inside the metal box along with a 1 gb usb flash drive
with linux and MH.  I still use the JDS for I/O and called it an "upgrade"
to the JDS product.

For new customers, I use a myriad of other I/O devices instead of the
$800 one, and just run it from the MiniITX completely.  For the folks
that have very large homes and cost of electricity is not even a factor
vs speed, I have installed ATX motherboards in those instead.  Not many
care about the cost of electricity or space savings offered in the ITX
platform.

MH will run on anything with perl, which would be just about everything
next to the kitchen toaster.   The bigest criteria will be what platform
offers the most expandability for integration.   I push MH, MythTV, and
Asterisk to clients and consequently need Horsepower and plenty of PCI
slots.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, TR2005b wrote:

> I have been considering a new platform for home automation and security
> because the proprietary controllers that I've been using for years seem
> rigid
> and obsolete next to the open source offerings of late.  I found the
> MisterHome
> site through web-search research and I wonder:
>
> Has anyone been able to get MH running on a low-power embedded Linux
> single-board-computer?
> There are several interesting units out there in the $149 range
> (quantity one) and it seems like an ideal
> platform to replace the $800 closed boards I've been using.
>
> Thanks.

RE: MH and Embedded Linux

Jason Sharpee
Its _very_ slow.  MH can do just about everything, however, that comes at
the expense of speed.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Jim Serack wrote:

> I think it might be possible to port mh to the Linksys NSLU2 which has a
> group dedicated to running a linux distribution on the box - one that
> already supports perl.
> It runs on about 8 watts. I think most people should be able to find a place
> to buy one under $120 US.
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
>
> Jim

Re: MH and Embedded Linux

Tim Sailer-2
On Fri, January 20, 2006 2:08, David H. Lynch Jr. said:

> If you want a dedicated "embedded" system for running mh - pick up an
> old laptop from eBay. You can probably get something with most
> everything you need for the cost of an embedded system that has alot
> less. Laptops - particularly older ones tend to be fairly low power.
>
> I do embedded development work. I just completed porting Linux to the
> Pico E-12 http://www.picocomputing.com a 300mhz PPC 405 with 64mb of
> flash and 128mb of ram on a compact flash card. It has substantially
> more horsepower than MisterHouse needs. It uses about 400mw of power.
>
> What it is not is cheap - about $3.5K each.
>
> mh can likely be made to run on most anything that can run linux. But
> for the same amount of $ you will get more performance and capability
> from an older laptop.

Has anyone taken a serious look at getting MH to run on an NSLU2 (aka
Slug)? I own two of these, reflashed with the 'unslung' image
(www.nslu2-linux.org), but have used them for other purposes. I'll be
'retiring' one in a few months, and may try to play with it and MH. I'm
fairly sure that the TTS won't, but that's what you have proxies for!

Tim

RE: MH and Embedded Linux

Tim Sailer-2
Doh! I should have read one more message before replying!

Tim

On Fri, January 20, 2006 8:30, Jim Serack said:

> I think it might be possible to port mh to the Linksys NSLU2 which has a
> group dedicated to running a linux distribution on the box - one that
> already supports perl.
> It runs on about 8 watts. I think most people should be able to find a
> place
> to buy one under $120 US.
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
>
> Jim

Re: MH and Embedded Linux

Thomas Harding-2
I have always thought a tablet PC mounted to a wall woudl be ideal. If it
were recessed into the wall, the touch screen would be perfect with the web
interface. An early model tablet woudl be fairly low power and have plenty
of hoursepower for MH.

>> I have been considering a new platform for home automation and security
>> because the proprietary controllers that I've been using for years seem
>> rigid
>> and obsolete next to the open source offerings of late.  I found the
>> MisterHome
>> site through web-search research and I wonder:
>>
>> Has anyone been able to get MH running on a low-power embedded Linux
>> single-board-computer?
>> There are several interesting units out there in the $149 range
>> (quantity one) and it seems like an ideal
>> platform to replace the $800 closed boards I've been using.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> If you want a dedicated "embedded" system for running mh - pick up an
> old laptop from eBay. You can probably get something with most
> everything you need for the cost of an embedded system that has alot
> less. Laptops - particularly older ones tend to be fairly low power.
>
> I do embedded development work. I just completed porting Linux to the
> Pico E-12 http://www.picocomputing.com a 300mhz PPC 405 with 64mb of
> flash and 128mb of ram on a compact flash card. It has substantially
> more horsepower than MisterHouse needs. It uses about 400mw of power.
>
> What it is not is cheap - about $3.5K each.
>
> mh can likely be made to run on most anything that can run linux. But
> for the same amount of $ you will get more performance and capability
> from an older laptop.

RE: MH and Embedded Linux

Jim Serack
Tim, I'll just take it as independent validation of my thinking :)Jim