Quantcast

Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

12

Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Jason Sharpee
Looks like a cheap entry point to doing everything Zigbee and Z-wave.  Im interested in writing a driver for it, if someone can find some protocol docs for the smarthub.

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Joel Davidson-2
This looks pretty nice, but I have a problem with everything going
through the cloud.  Seems to me like you're just setting yourself
to be hacked, and I have a problem with someone else getting control
of my thermostat, among other things.  Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Now if there were a way to use the gateway internal to my house only,
without using their cloud services, then it would be great.  JMHO.

Thanks for the link Jason.

Joel
--
Joel Davidson
Austin, TX

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, it would appear that Jason Sharpee wrote:

> Looks like a cheap entry point to doing everything Zigbee and Z-wave.  Im
> interested in writing a driver for it, if someone can find some protocol
> docs for the smarthub.
>
> http://www.lowes.com/cd_How+Iris+Works_379038320_

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Eloy Paris
One of the commenters at the Lowes site said that he didn't have any
problems getting a GE light switches to work on a Z-Wave network.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

On 09/20/2012 11:57 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

> This looks pretty nice, but I have a problem with everything going
> through the cloud.  Seems to me like you're just setting yourself
> to be hacked, and I have a problem with someone else getting control
> of my thermostat, among other things.  Maybe I'm just paranoid...
>
> Now if there were a way to use the gateway internal to my house only,
> without using their cloud services, then it would be great.  JMHO.
>
> Thanks for the link Jason.
>
> Joel

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Greg Moeller
There would also be delay involved. Walk into a room, motion sensor
chats with hub, hub to cloud, cloud thinks, cloud talks back, hub to
light, I've gone to bed already.  :)
Now, if all those zigbee devices could be connected directly to our MH
servers, that could be interesting.

Greg

On 12-09-20 10:57 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

> This looks pretty nice, but I have a problem with everything going
> through the cloud.  Seems to me like you're just setting yourself
> to be hacked, and I have a problem with someone else getting control
> of my thermostat, among other things.  Maybe I'm just paranoid...
>
> Now if there were a way to use the gateway internal to my house only,
> without using their cloud services, then it would be great.  JMHO.
>
> Thanks for the link Jason.
>
> Joel

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Michelle Dupuis-2
That's great - that will really drive down the cost of Z-Wave modules!

Now we just have to get Z-Wave working fully in MH!!

One of the commenters at the Lowes site said that he didn't have any
problems getting a GE light switches to work on a Z-Wave network.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

On 09/20/2012 11:57 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

> This looks pretty nice, but I have a problem with everything going
> through the cloud.  Seems to me like you're just setting yourself
> to be hacked, and I have a problem with someone else getting control
> of my thermostat, among other things.  Maybe I'm just paranoid...
>
> Now if there were a way to use the gateway internal to my house only,
> without using their cloud services, then it would be great.  JMHO.
>
> Thanks for the link Jason.
>
> Joel

One of the commenters at the Lowes site said that he didn't have any
problems getting a GE light switches to work on a Z-Wave network.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-

On 09/20/2012 11:57 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

> This looks pretty nice, but I have a problem with everything going
> through the cloud.  Seems to me like you're just setting yourself
> to be hacked, and I have a problem with someone else getting control
> of my thermostat, among other things.  Maybe I'm just paranoid...
>
> Now if there were a way to use the gateway internal to my house only,
> without using their cloud services, then it would be great.  JMHO.
>
> Thanks for the link Jason.
>
> Joel

Jason Sharpee
[hidden email]

5929 Graburn's Ford Dr,
Charlotte, NC 28269
704-405-5893

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Chris Knutson
This looks similar to what Micasavera offers, but with serious limitations.  Where Micasavera is better in my opinion is that you can write code on it allowing you to really customize it.  There is a forum on their site where users discuss and contribute their code, similar to Misterhouse, http://micasaverde.com/.  Plus since it is on the network and you can write your own code you can have Misterhouse and MicasaVera talk to each other as I do.  Also you pull up your Vera over the web via HTTS, but it is completely free, unlike what Lowes is offering.  BTW, I am not employed by Micasavera in anyway, I just really like the product.

Regards,
Chris

X10 doorbells in insteon branch

Greg Moeller
I'm running the latest Insteon branch code (2023) and everything is
working except my old X10 doorbells.
I have them defined as:
X10A,   J1,     main_bell,              bell,   plm
X10A,   J2,     basement_bell,          bell,   plm
X10A,   J3,     second_bell,            bell,   plm
(I also tried without the ',plm' )
and when I do:
        set $main_bell ON;
I get:
Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on
Warning: Dummy_Interface #0: trying to set state on
Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but not sure what that is.

Re: X10 doorbells in insteon branch

Michelle Dupuis-2
I'm newish to MH, but I think that means there is no serial/device assigned so it is using a dummy interface.

Check your controller settings...

Re: X10 doorbells in insteon branch

Ron Blout

Greg Moeller wrote:

> I'm running the latest Insteon branch code (2023) and everything is
> working except my old X10 doorbells.
> I have them defined as:
> X10A,   J1,     main_bell,              bell,   plm
> X10A,   J2,     basement_bell,          bell,   plm
> X10A,   J3,     second_bell,            bell,   plm
> (I also tried without the ',plm' )
> and when I do:
>          set $main_bell ON;
> I get:
> Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on
> Warning: Dummy_Interface #0: trying to set state on
> Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on
>
> I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but not sure what that is.

I have an X10 chime and my definition is almost the same as yours.  Here
it is:

X10A,               M16,                dooralarm,  , PLM

The 4th field is "blank".  I have had issues with this device (and
others) which I believe are due to it being on a different phase then
the cm17. Sometimes it works and then for some reason it stops.   It is
for this reason (and others) that I am moving away from x10 and to insteon.

This probably does not help you much but you can take comfort in knowing
that other are having a similar experience.

Ron

On 09/28/2012 08:36 AM, Ron Blout wrote:

> Greg Moeller wrote:
>> I'm running the latest Insteon branch code (2023) and everything is
>> working except my old X10 doorbells.
>> I have them defined as:
>> X10A,   J1,     main_bell,              bell,   plm
>> X10A,   J2,     basement_bell,          bell,   plm
>> X10A,   J3,     second_bell,            bell,   plm
>> (I also tried without the ',plm' )
>> and when I do:
>>           set $main_bell ON;
>> I get:
>> Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on
>> Warning: Dummy_Interface #0: trying to set state on
>> Warning: Dummy_Interface #1: trying to set state on
>>
>> I'm sure I'm doing something silly, but not sure what that is.
>
> I have an X10 chime and my definition is almost the same as yours.  Here
> it is:
>
> X10A,               M16,                dooralarm,  , PLM
>
> The 4th field is "blank".  I have had issues with this device (and
> others) which I believe are due to it being on a different phase then
> the cm17. Sometimes it works and then for some reason it stops.   It is
> for this reason (and others) that I am moving away from x10 and to insteon.

different phase then the "plm" not cm17.

> This probably does not help you much but you can take comfort in knowing
> that other are having a similar experience.
>
> Ron

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Jason Sharpee
The price point for an ethernet device that edoes z-wave and zigbee for $99. was too compelling so I bought one. I am sharking it now to see if it can be made useful as an interface and will let everyone know.   If not, I have the receipt ;)

-J

BTW: Those motion sensors look pretty nice if they are reliable.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Well that was kinda fruitless.  What I have found:

- The device is created by AlertMe (has their MAC vendor address)
- It has TCP ports 80 and 111 open (neither one of them does standard HTTP on it though) Unknown protocol.
- It communicates with imgserver.irissmarthome.com for firmware updates on HTTPS
- It communicates with hubserver.irissmarthome.com for general communication on HTTPS
- It appears to run Linux 2.6 based on nmap -O
- It appears to have support for SafetyNet protocol (UDP port 4000)  Dont know much about it other than is supports secure connections for embedded devices on ethernet.
- I have heard that it has a TTL serial port on the board, but login password is unknown.

At this point, unless I can manage to get my own CA installed on the box to sniff the SSL traffic, there is not much I can do with it.

Any have any ideas?
-J

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Jason Sharpee <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jason-

Bummer that you couldn't get any further, but all may not be lost.
According to

this:http://boingboing.net/2012/07/19/iris-smart-home-in-a-box-with.html

"Lowe's' near-term vision is to really open up the platform for anyone
to hack on", so maybe there will be an api available in the
not-too-distant future.  Of course the article on boingboing is
from mid-July, so it may be a while...

Joel

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012, it would appear that Jason Sharpee wrote:

> Well that was kinda fruitless.  What I have found:
>
> - The device is created by AlertMe (has their MAC vendor address)
> - It has TCP ports 80 and 111 open (neither one of them does standard HTTP
> on it though) Unknown protocol.
> - It communicates with imgserver.irissmarthome.com for firmware updates on
> HTTPS
> - It communicates with hubserver.irissmarthome.com for general
> communication on HTTPS
> - It appears to run Linux 2.6 based on nmap -O
> - It appears to have support for SafetyNet protocol (UDP port 4000)  Dont
> know much about it other than is supports secure connections for embedded
> devices on ethernet.
> - I have heard that it has a TTL serial port on the board, but login
> password is unknown.
>
> At this point, unless I can manage to get my own CA installed on the box to
> sniff the SSL traffic, there is not much I can do with it.
>
> Any have any ideas?
> -J
>

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Jason Sharpee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The price point for an ethernet device that edoes z-wave and zigbee for
>> $99. was too compelling so I bought one. I am sharking it now to see if it
>> can be made useful as an interface and will let everyone know.   If not, I
>> have the receipt ;)
>>
>> -J
>>
>> BTW: Those motion sensors look pretty nice if they are reliable.
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> This looks similar to what Micasavera offers, but with serious
>>> limitations.  Where Micasavera is better in my opinion is that you can
>>> write code on it allowing you to really customize it.  There is a forum on
>>> their site where users discuss and contribute their code, similar to
>>> Misterhouse, http://micasaverde.com/.  Plus since it is on the network
>>> and you can write your own code you can have Misterhouse and MicasaVera
>>> talk to each other as I do.  Also you pull up your Vera over the web via
>>> HTTS, but it is completely free, unlike what Lowes is offering.  BTW, I am
>>> not employed by Micasavera in anyway, I just really like the product.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Jason Sharpee
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> 5929 Graburn's Ford Dr,
>> Charlotte, NC 28269
>> 704-405-5893

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

Jason Sharpee
Im assuming that it will be as hackable as the branded Alertme smarthub (sibling product) which consists of a limited / slow / and throttled REST based webservice from their own servers on the internet. :(    This would have been a great product if only they published some sort of local API, but then they probably woudnt get their $9.99/month service fee which they appear to depend on (and force you to sign up for)

I was really hoping that they would have some sort of local connectivity, which I it appears to have but rather undocumented as of now on ports 80 / 111.  If I had the money to burn I would crack this thing open and JTAG it :)

I may make a quick program to spam those ports with brute force text till I get a response of some sort.
-J

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Joel Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jason-

Bummer that you couldn't get any further, but all may not be lost.
According to

this:http://boingboing.net/2012/07/19/iris-smart-home-in-a-box-with.html

"Lowe's' near-term vision is to really open up the platform for anyone
to hack on", so maybe there will be an api available in the
not-too-distant future.  Of course the article on boingboing is
from mid-July, so it may be a while...

Joel

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012, it would appear that Jason Sharpee wrote:

> Well that was kinda fruitless.  What I have found:
>
> - The device is created by AlertMe (has their MAC vendor address)
> - It has TCP ports 80 and 111 open (neither one of them does standard HTTP
> on it though) Unknown protocol.
> - It communicates with imgserver.irissmarthome.com for firmware updates on
> HTTPS
> - It communicates with hubserver.irissmarthome.com for general
> communication on HTTPS
> - It appears to run Linux 2.6 based on nmap -O
> - It appears to have support for SafetyNet protocol (UDP port 4000)  Dont
> know much about it other than is supports secure connections for embedded
> devices on ethernet.
> - I have heard that it has a TTL serial port on the board, but login
> password is unknown.
>
> At this point, unless I can manage to get my own CA installed on the box to
> sniff the SSL traffic, there is not much I can do with it.
>
> Any have any ideas?
> -J
>

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Jason Sharpee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The price point for an ethernet device that edoes z-wave and zigbee for
>> $99. was too compelling so I bought one. I am sharking it now to see if it
>> can be made useful as an interface and will let everyone know.   If not, I
>> have the receipt ;)
>>
>> -J
>>
>> BTW: Those motion sensors look pretty nice if they are reliable.
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> This looks similar to what Micasavera offers, but with serious
>>> limitations.  Where Micasavera is better in my opinion is that you can
>>> write code on it allowing you to really customize it.  There is a forum on
>>> their site where users discuss and contribute their code, similar to
>>> Misterhouse, http://micasaverde.com/.  Plus since it is on the network
>>> and you can write your own code you can have Misterhouse and MicasaVera
>>> talk to each other as I do.  Also you pull up your Vera over the web via
>>> HTTS, but it is completely free, unlike what Lowes is offering.  BTW, I am
>>> not employed by Micasavera in anyway, I just really like the product.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Jason Sharpee
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> 5929 Graburn's Ford Dr,
>> Charlotte, NC 28269

Jason Sharpee
[hidden email]

5929 Graburn's Ford Dr,
Charlotte, NC 28269
704-405-5893

automated Deadbolt addition for pre-order.

Greg Moeller
Run, don't walk, and preorder this! :)
https://lockitron.com/preorder

They're promising API into the system, and they offer special images
that'll allow direct access from the local network.
Knock detection, bluetooth4.0 ability, wifi, it's the holy grail of us
that want our doors to lock/unlock automatically.

I've pre-ordered one and have asked how to preorder 2 more.

I'm not related to the company, just a drooling HomeAutomation geek.

Greg

Re: automated Deadbolt addition for pre-order.

Michelle Dupuis-2
Yuk -looks like a piece of plastic junk.  It fits over top of your deadbolt and tries to turn it.  (This is not a deadbolt)

Re: automated Deadbolt addition for pre-order.

Brad Bosch

On Oct 2, 2012 3:47 PM, "Michelle Dupuis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yuk -looks like a piece of plastic junk.  It fits over top of your deadbolt and tries to turn it.  (This is not a deadbolt)

I wonder why support for iphone and not android?

--Brad

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012, it would appear that Brad Bosch wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2012 3:47 PM, "Michelle Dupuis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yuk -looks like a piece of plastic junk.  It fits over top of your
> deadbolt and tries to turn it.  (This is not a deadbolt)
>>

> I wonder why support for iphone and not android?

   FAQ says the have an android app.  If you want NFC it will work with
   NFC enabled phones, or they'll send you a free NFC tag.

   https://lockitron.com/help/mobile

   This actually looks pretty cool.

Joel
--
Joel Davidson
Austin, TX

Re: Lowes IRIS - Anyone poked around with this yet?

wpiman
Have you had any luck talking to the serial port?  I was sort of hoping that perhaps we could use the device as is to pair up to devices, and then perhaps as sensors change, a message might be received over that interface.  That could then be read into any HA program you choose over the serial bus.  At the very least, one could get a sensor network working pretty quickly.

The sensors are a great form factor and very cheap.

I know it does Zigbee (the sensors anyway), so I bought a Telegesis Zigbee radio stick and one of the Door sensors.  I talk to the Zigbee stick over a serial port.  I can use it to create a Zigbee Pan, and when I power up the sensor, it connects to my PAN... and then it constantly reconnect.  I imagine the sensor is waiting for some sort of feedback from the hub.  Perhaps if I got a hub, I could try to connect to its pan and reverse engineer the message coming back.

Jason Sharpee wrote

--
Jason Sharpee
jason@sharpee.com