Linux and IR control?

Neil Cherry
Is there anything available for Linux that can send and receive
IR? I have the Ocelot but I'd like to know if there is anything
else?

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Linux and IR control?

david_misterhouse
--- In [hidden email], Neil Cherry <ncherry@c...> wrote:

> Is there anything available for Linux that can send and receive
> IR? I have the Ocelot but I'd like to know if there is anything
> else?

Sure. You can use LIRC and cheap homebrew hardware.
David Satterfield

> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@l...
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Re: Linux and IR control?

Joel Davidson
The usb-uirt seems to work, though the mh code doesn't work too well for
learning under linux.  I've had difficutly getting some manufacturers
codes to work at all with linux, even after capturing the data with
Girder on a Windoze box.  I'd had some conversations with David Norwood
about a year ago on this, but I think we both got distracted by other
issues and never worked it all out.  Might be time to try again soon...

Joel

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, it would appear that Neil Cherry wrote:

> Is there anything available for Linux that can send and receive
> IR? I have the Ocelot but I'd like to know if there is anything
> else?

Re: Linux and IR control?

Neil Cherry
Joel Davidson wrote:
> The usb-uirt seems to work, though the mh code doesn't work too well for
> learning under linux.  I've had difficutly getting some manufacturers
> codes to work at all with linux, even after capturing the data with
> Girder on a Windoze box.  I'd had some conversations with David Norwood
> about a year ago on this, but I think we both got distracted by other
> issues and never worked it all out.  Might be time to try again soon...

Thanks guys, just before you responded I found this:

http://iguanaworks.net/ir/

I've purchased that as I need it real soon for the book. I looked
at the IR chapter and it needs to send and receive. I do that with
my Creative IR pod and my Ocelot. I don't think either would make
a really good chapter in a Linux HA book so I'll go with this and
see what it can do. For $30 assembled it seems like a good enough
deal for the average user. I'll of course point them to the LIRC
pages to let them know they can build or buy. BTW, no I haven't
turned in my soldering iron, I just need it now.

Thanks

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Linux and IR control?

David Norwood-3
Some notes about IR.  The Iguana transceiver (and most of the LIRC supported
remotes) is a "dumb" interface.  It has no microprocessor and requires your
CPU  to do more work.  Also, since it uses DCD and DTR for signaling, it
won't work with a usb to serial adaptor.  That being said, it probably works
fine.

The UIRT2, USB-UIRT, and RedRat have microprocessors and offload most of the
processing from the CPU.  They each have their own serial protocol, which
requires a lot of extra code to support.  There is a LIRC patch to support
the USB-UIRT descibed here
http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=850&sid=cc50eb7f733e24497116ce3d9330de40

Robert Rozman wrote a script to receive IR signals via LIRC.  This could
easily be integrated with IR_Item for sending as well.

Neil, your book should mention the various formats used to specify IR
signals.  The UIR, UIRT2, USB-UIRT, Ocelot, and RedRat each have their own.
The pronto format is the most popular and you can usually convert a pronto
code into the other formats.  The LIRC configuration file uses another
format that descibes the signal at a higher level.  My favorite is the IRP
format developed by the members of the JP1 forum
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

Like the LIRC format, it is a high level description of the various IR
signals used by different manufacturers.  IMHO, the IRP and DVC files are
the best formats for sharing IR signals, which is why I support them in the
UIRT2 and USB-UIRT code.  See mh/data/infrared/irp_format_expained.txt

Joel, I'll work with you on those trouble IR codes whenever you are ready.

David

David Norwood wrote:

> Some notes about IR.  The Iguana transceiver (and most of the LIRC
> supported remotes) is a "dumb" interface.  It has no microprocessor and
> requires your CPU  to do more work.  Also, since it uses DCD and DTR for
> signaling, it won't work with a usb to serial adaptor.  That being said,
> it probably works fine.
>
> The UIRT2, USB-UIRT, and RedRat have microprocessors and offload most of
> the processing from the CPU.  They each have their own serial protocol,
> which requires a lot of extra code to support.  There is a LIRC patch to
> support the USB-UIRT descibed here
> http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=850&sid=cc50eb7f733e24497116ce3d9330de40
>

> Robert Rozman wrote a script to receive IR signals via LIRC.  This could
> easily be integrated with IR_Item for sending as well.
>
> Neil, your book should mention the various formats used to specify IR
> signals.  The UIR, UIRT2, USB-UIRT, Ocelot, and RedRat each have their
> own. The pronto format is the most popular and you can usually convert a
> pronto code into the other formats.  The LIRC configuration file uses
> another format that descibes the signal at a higher level.  My favorite
> is the IRP format developed by the members of the JP1 forum
> http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
>
> Like the LIRC format, it is a high level description of the various IR
> signals used by different manufacturers.  IMHO, the IRP and DVC files
> are the best formats for sharing IR signals, which is why I support them
> in the UIRT2 and USB-UIRT code.  See
> mh/data/infrared/irp_format_expained.txt

Mucho Thanks!

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site