Keypadlinc: disable LED update, change On mode setting via mh?

Keypadlinc: disable LED update, change On mode setting via mh?

Rich Drewes
Hello all,

Is it possible *from within Misterhouse, preferably from within the
insteon.mht configuration file* to configure a KeypadLinc to 1) have a
particular local button NOT toggle its underlying LED status light as it
does by default, and 2) have a particular local button send only On
commands as a controller instead of alternating On, Off, On, Off? This
is for garage control as you may have guessed: I want the LED status
light *only* to be manipulated by the sensor, and I want to send only On
commands to the IOLINC on the other end.

I have done a fair amount of searching through the mailing list to see
if anyone has asked this question and nothing came up. I may be using
the wrong search terms.

I know that both of these things can be done by directly manipulating
the KeypadLinc, but I really want to have all my site customizations
contained in the insteon.mht file. If devices have to be manually
fiddled with, it makes the whole system harder to maintain and harder to
replace components when needed.

Thanks,
Rich

Re: Keypadlinc: disable LED update, change On mode setting via mh?

Dustin Robinson
As far as I know, no and yes.  In the keypad link manual there are instructions on changing the button function between toggle, on only and off only.  I don't believe however you would be able to independently control the status light.

That said I think you could get creative with a PLM scene to control the status of the button, and some logic to send the proper commands to your IOLinc.  While I hate working with my keypad lincs they are nice once you figure out how to make them do what you actually want vs what smarthome wanted.

I really wish that someone would come up with opensource firmware up-gradable automation hardware.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Rich Drewes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Siddall
On 04/12/2016 01:12 PM, Dustin Robinson wrote:
> I really wish that someone would come up with opensource firmware
> up-gradable automation hardware.

I fully agree, and have recently started contemplating the possibility
of using an RPi3 (the one with built in WiFi) as a MH transmitter.  With
the proliferation of smart bulbs, proprietary LED lights (like in
ceiling fans) etc. the ability to _power_ lights is less important in
many cases than the ability to _signal_ to the lights.

With a complete open-source WiFi computer now available for less than
the price of a home automation switch I find it hard to justify buying a
wall switch just to send a notification to MH!

Unfortunately getting USB power and an electrical box mountable switch
to talk to the GPIO on the RPi is less trivial than I hoped.  If I were
younger and less wise I would probably head to kickstarter and try to
setup a company to build one!

Re: Keypadlinc: disable LED update, change On mode setting via mh?

Dustin Robinson
I built one using an arduino pro mini and a network module.  It used MQTT to communicate with MH and was POE powered so i only needed the network cable run to the location.  After building one, implementing it, and dealing with the issues of cohabitation of high and low voltage, I came to the conclusion that when it came to manipulating mains level voltage I was happier to spend the $~35 on a professionally made insteon device.  I like the hardware and the look, I just wish they were open and up-gradable.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Jeff Siddall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/12/2016 01:12 PM, Dustin Robinson wrote:
> I really wish that someone would come up with opensource firmware
> up-gradable automation hardware.

I fully agree, and have recently started contemplating the possibility
of using an RPi3 (the one with built in WiFi) as a MH transmitter.  With
the proliferation of smart bulbs, proprietary LED lights (like in
ceiling fans) etc. the ability to _power_ lights is less important in
many cases than the ability to _signal_ to the lights.

With a complete open-source WiFi computer now available for less than
the price of a home automation switch I find it hard to justify buying a
wall switch just to send a notification to MH!

Unfortunately getting USB power and an electrical box mountable switch
to talk to the GPIO on the RPi is less trivial than I hoped.  If I were
younger and less wise I would probably head to kickstarter and try to
setup a company to build one!

Re: Keypadlinc: disable LED update, change On mode setting via mh?

Rich Drewes
Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure which of my questions to which you responded "no and yes".

As I noted, it IS possible *on the KeypadLinc device itself* 1) to disable the button-press-lights-LED and also 2) to configure a button to send On, On, On, ... for each press instead of the default On, Off, On, Off, ...

My question was whether this could be done conveniently *within Misterhouse itself*, because I don't like having to have custom configuration in each device because it is harder to maintain.

I still don't have an answer.

Thanks,
Rich