Just starting out.

Darryl VanDorp

Hey all,

Forgive my ignorance, but i'm thinking about starting out with home automation and monitoring with misterhouse. One thing that i'd like to play with is 1-wire networks. How do I figure out what misterhouse supports before I run out and start buying stuff?

Also, does anyone have any experience with TINI network devices for integration with 1-wire networks in conjunction with misterhouse?

Thanks in advance
http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca

Re: Just starting out.

Benjamin Griffith
Hi Darryl,

I've just started playing with Misterhouse and 1-wire.  So far I've got some DS18S20 temp sensors and some DS2405 PIO switches working.  I've got a DS2408 hooked up to an LCD display, but haven't gotten that working yet.  Check out mh/code/bruce/iButton_bruce.pl for some implementation of temp sensors, and mh/lib/site/Hardware/iButton/Device.pm for an idea of what's supported so far, as well as ideas of how to add support for more devices.

-Ben

Yahoo! Mail

Re: Just starting out.

Ralph Mitchell
I'm just starting with MisterHouse too, and unfortunately I'm not a
Perl guru...  I've got an iButton serial interface and a couple of
temp sensors that I'd like to have show up in the "Weather Station"
indoor and outdoor graphs.  Is that possible, without actually having
the weather station??  I'm getting readings using both the builtin
iButton.pl and the iButton_temps.pl that uses digitemp, I just don't
see how to tie the results into the graphs...

Thanks,

Ralph Mitchell

On 2/10/06, John Murphy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've added support for the DS2409 1-wire couplers used in the 1-wire hubs.
> I'm still testing it, but if anyone wants to give it a try, I've pretty much
> hidden it all in Connection.pm and Device.pm
>

> On 2/10/06, Benjamin Griffith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Darryl,
> >
> > I've just started playing with Misterhouse and 1-wire.  So far I've got
> some DS18S20 temp sensors and some DS2405 PIO switches working.  I've got a
> DS2408 hooked up to an LCD display, but haven't gotten that working yet.
> Check out mh/code/bruce/iButton_bruce.pl for some implementation of temp
> sensors, and mh/lib/site/Hardware/iButton/Device.pm for an
> idea of what's supported so far, as well as ideas of how to add support for
> more devices.
> >
> > -Ben
> >

> > Darryl < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > [note: resending as first message hit moderation]
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance, but i'm thinking about starting out with home
> automation and monitoring with misterhouse. One thing that i'd like to play
> with is 1-wire networks. How do I figure out what misterhouse supports
> before I run out and start buying stuff?
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any experience with TINI network devices for
> integration with 1-wire networks in conjunction with misterhouse?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > --
> > http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca
> >

> > ________________________________
>  Yahoo! Mail
> > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

Re: Just starting out, and a bug fix in rrd_graph_web.pl

Benjamin Griffith
I've got mine showing up on a graph, but not the weather station ones.  I use a file called rrd_graph_web.pl (it's in code/public, but I had to move it and rrd_graph_web.css to web/bin).  It requires some minor customizing, but I think it was nothing more than putting in the names of the sensors you have.  You have to collect the data in RRD files (see Bruce's iButton script in code/bruce), which means you first have to create the RRD files.  To do that, use the rrd_create.sh file (it's also in code/public, but I moved it to data/rrd so the database files would be created there).  Replace the sensor names in the file with the names of your sensors and run it in your rrd directory.  You'll also have to set the RRD directory variable in mh.private.ini.

Oh, I just remembered I had to fix a bug in rrd_graph_web.pl before I could get it to work.  If you don't get any graphs in the web page, add this line to the file at line 75 (below "my $timenow = localtime(time()); ):

$timenow =~ s/:/\\:/g;   # RRD doesn't like colons, so put leading backslashes in

I also added code to print out any errors after the call to create the graph (that's how I figured out what was wrong).  That should probably be in there anyway, right after "RRDs::graph ..." and all it's associated arguments:

my $ERROR = RRDs::error;
print_log "RRDs::fetch ERROR: $ERROR\n" if $ERROR;

On 2/10/06, John Murphy wrote:

> I've added support for the DS2409 1-wire couplers used in the 1-wire hubs.
> I'm still testing it, but if anyone wants to give it a try, I've pretty much
> hidden it all in Connection.pm and Device.pm
>

> On 2/10/06, Benjamin Griffith wrote:
> > Hi Darryl,
> >
> > I've just started playing with Misterhouse and 1-wire. So far I've got
> some DS18S20 temp sensors and some DS2405 PIO switches working. I've got a
> DS2408 hooked up to an LCD display, but haven't gotten that working yet.
> Check out mh/code/bruce/iButton_bruce.pl for some implementation of temp
> sensors, and mh/lib/site/Hardware/iButton/Device.pm for an
> idea of what's supported so far, as well as ideas of how to add support for
> more devices.
> >
> > -Ben
> >

> > Darryl < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > [note: resending as first message hit moderation]
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance, but i'm thinking about starting out with home
> automation and monitoring with misterhouse. One thing that i'd like to play
> with is 1-wire networks. How do I figure out what misterhouse supports
> before I run out and start buying stuff?
> >
> > Also, does anyone have any experience with TINI network devices for
> integration with 1-wire networks in conjunction with misterhouse?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > --
> > http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca
> >

> > ________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail
> > Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

Yahoo! Mail

Re: Just starting out.

Matthew Williams-2
Take a look at mh/code/common/weather_metar.pl.  The last 40 lines take the
data that is gathered from the internet and populates the appropriate
entries in %Weather.  Just populate the same entries in the Weather hash and
 then activate weather_rrd_update.  You can find the list of Weather hash
items that are used to make graphs in mh/code/common/weather_rrd_update.pl
around line 161.  The ones that you should use are $Weather{TempOutdoor} and
$Weather{TempIndoor).

Matt

Ralph Mitchell wrote:

> I'm just starting with MisterHouse too, and unfortunately I'm not a
> Perl guru...  I've got an iButton serial interface and a couple of
> temp sensors that I'd like to have show up in the "Weather Station"
> indoor and outdoor graphs.  Is that possible, without actually having
> the weather station??  I'm getting readings using both the builtin
> iButton.pl and the iButton_temps.pl that uses digitemp, I just don't
> see how to tie the results into the graphs...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph Mitchell
>

> On 2/10/06, John Murphy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've added support for the DS2409 1-wire couplers used in the 1-wire hubs.
>> I'm still testing it, but if anyone wants to give it a try, I've pretty much
>> hidden it all in Connection.pm and Device.pm
>>

>> On 2/10/06, Benjamin Griffith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Darryl,
>>>
>>> I've just started playing with Misterhouse and 1-wire.  So far I've got
>> some DS18S20 temp sensors and some DS2405 PIO switches working.  I've got a
>> DS2408 hooked up to an LCD display, but haven't gotten that working yet.
>> Check out mh/code/bruce/iButton_bruce.pl for some implementation of temp
>> sensors, and mh/lib/site/Hardware/iButton/Device.pm for an
>> idea of what's supported so far, as well as ideas of how to add support for
>> more devices.
>>> -Ben
>>>

>>> Darryl < [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> [note: resending as first message hit moderation]
>>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Forgive my ignorance, but i'm thinking about starting out with home
>> automation and monitoring with misterhouse. One thing that i'd like to play
>> with is 1-wire networks. How do I figure out what misterhouse supports
>> before I run out and start buying stuff?
>>> Also, does anyone have any experience with TINI network devices for
>> integration with 1-wire networks in conjunction with misterhouse?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> --
>>> http://randomthoughts.vandorp.ca
>>>

>>> ________________________________
>>  Yahoo! Mail
>>> Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

Re: Just starting out.

David Lynch Jr.
    I am working  on an X10/1wire HVAC control system for a radiant heat
system.

    I am using the DS2490 USB-1wire controller. There is no mh support
for that.
    I am using it under Linux. I have been trying to get it working
using the native Linux 2.6 1wire drivers, but have not got that working
yet. In the meantime I had no difficulty reading a large number of
DS1820 temperature sensors using digitemp.  I am not sure there is a
simpler more cost effective means of monitoring temperatures for home
control.

--
Dave Lynch DLA Systems
Software Development:       Embedded Linux

Re: Just starting out.

Ralph Mitchell
Excellent!!  It turns out that all I needed to change was in
public/iButtons_temp.pl:

       $Weather{"TempSpare$1"} = $3;

to:

       $Weather{"TempIndoor"} = $3;

Which is fine until I dig up a long enough piece of phone wire to put
another sensor outside the house...  I've got weather_metar.pl
running, so I could just stop that from updating $Weather{TempOutdoor}
and add it into iButtons_temp.pl, with appropriate code to recognise
the sensor ids.

One of these days I might even get lucky and get an actual weather station... :)

Thanks!

Ralph Mitchell

On 2/10/06, Matthew Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Take a look at mh/code/common/weather_metar.pl.  The last 40 lines take the
> data that is gathered from the internet and populates the appropriate
> entries in %Weather.  Just populate the same entries in the Weather hash and
>  then activate weather_rrd_update.  You can find the list of Weather hash
> items that are used to make graphs in mh/code/common/weather_rrd_update.pl
> around line 161.  The ones that you should use are $Weather{TempOutdoor} and
> $Weather{TempIndoor).
>
> Matt
>
> Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> > I'm just starting with MisterHouse too, and unfortunately I'm not a
> > Perl guru...  I've got an iButton serial interface and a couple of
> > temp sensors that I'd like to have show up in the "Weather Station"
> > indoor and outdoor graphs.  Is that possible, without actually having
> > the weather station??  I'm getting readings using both the builtin
> > iButton.pl and the iButton_temps.pl that uses digitemp, I just don't
> > see how to tie the results into the graphs...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ralph Mitchell
> >

> > On 2/10/06, John Murphy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've added support for the DS2409 1-wire couplers used in the 1-wire hubs.
> >> I'm still testing it, but if anyone wants to give it a try, I've pretty much
> >> hidden it all in Connection.pm and Device.pm

> >> some DS18S20 temp sensors and some DS2405 PIO switches working.  I've got a
> >> DS2408 hooked up to an LCD display, but haven't gotten that working yet.
> >> Check out mh/code/bruce/iButton_bruce.pl for some implementation of temp
> >> sensors, and mh/lib/site/Hardware/iButton/Device.pm for an
> >> idea of what's supported so far, as well as ideas of how to add support for
> >> more devices.

> >> automation and monitoring with misterhouse. One thing that i'd like to play
> >> with is 1-wire networks. How do I figure out what misterhouse supports
> >> before I run out and start buying stuff?
> >> integration with 1-wire networks in conjunction with misterhouse?

> >>  Yahoo! Mail

RE: Just starting out.

Tew, Edward (UK)

 I have been working on the windows iButton drivers for a direct interface to MH using the Win32::API and Win32::Prototype packages to import the native TMEX functions.
 I have been having some success with enumerating the devices on the wire but I am having problems with reading the temperatures (DS18B20) I have hacked the Connection.pm and device.pm to usew the TMEX calls instead of the serial interfaces at the low level but owBlock is giving me a bit of trouble.

I had assumed that if I create the read and write packets the same as to serial interface then it should all work the same but there seems to be a difference between them.

 For instance the ID's read from the bus came out as CxCxCxCxCxCxCxC instead of CCCCCCCC(in Pack/unpack speak)

 I have the USB->1-Wire (DS9490) interface and this works great with logTemp and the java viewer. I just wanted more of a direct access to the sensors without running more daemons or apps to generate RRDs.

 Is anyone else interested in 1-Wire through usb on windows?
Ed.

dat=121642