Insteon Motion Sensor

pelle8
I am trying to get an Insteon (2842) motion sensor to work.  I have it configured in my insteon.mht file as:

# Motion Sensors
INSTEON_MOTIONSENSOR, 21.5A.39, ms_garage1, Sensors #2842-2 V2.3 4412 Garage by door to house

I can see the messages and the mh.log file shows the following on motion:

03/18/2013 21:00:04 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: on; type: alllink; group: 01
03/18/2013 21:00:04 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: ; type: alllink; group: 01
akes_cal.html ... url retrieved
03/18/2013 21:00:05 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: ; type: alllink; group: 01
03/18/2013 21:00:33 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: off; type: alllink; group: 01
03/18/2013 21:00:34 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: off; type: alllink; group: 01
03/18/2013 21:00:35 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: ; type: alllink; group: 01
03/18/2013 21:00:36 [Insteon::BaseInterface] Received message from: $ms_garage1; command: ; type: alllink; group: 01

The problem is that my code doesn't seem to see any of the states (ON or OFF).  Every time I query the state of the motion sensor via $ms_garage1->state or $ms_garage1->state_now, I get only "NULL" values (as can be seen in the log file entries).  In fact, if I run the code:

if (new_minute 2) {
   my $motion1 = state $ms_garage1;
   my $motion2 = state_now $ms_garage1;
   my $states = get_states $ms_garage1;
   print_log "Garage motion state is ..$motion1..$motion2.. States are $states";
}

I see in the mh.log file:

03/18/2013 21:04:00 Garage motion state is ...... States are

I am sure I am doing something wrong or I am missing something in the configuration, but it appears like the motion sensors states (ON or OFF) aren't being captured correctly.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks....

Re: Insteon Motion Sensor

Dustin Robinson
Your not alone.  The documentation is pretty lacking and the process is ever evolving.  The learning curve is steep but hang in there.  There is quite a bit of development going on right now and a pretty focused effort on documentation.  There have been more changes in the last few months than in the last few years.

Wireless devices are a little different than wired devices.  The motion sensor for example communicates back and forth with the PLM but only when it is active.  When the motion sensor is not sensing motion it is inactive and not "listening" to the wireless network.  For this reason it is not possible to link the motion sensor to the PLM or other items using software.  All direct links to the motion sensor must be made manually vs through the .mht file because there is no way to sync the links if the device isn't listening to MisterHouse.

I don't believe the order which you put the devices into linking mode matters but i generally start with the remote device and then do the PLM.  This is just a preference on my part because the PLM has a nice beep confirmation when the link is successfull.

If I am off base here hopefully someone will correct me.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM, John Pellegrino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I will do that...

Just so I am clear (there is no documentation on this and for me it has been a little "by gosh and by golly"), I must manually link all new devices by putting the remote device in linking mode and then putting the PLM in linking mode.  Does the order matter?  Can I put the PLM in linking mode first?  Can I do several remote devices at the same time, or just one at a time (i.e., put the PLM in linking mode and link a remote device; repeat)?  Should I have Misterhouse stopped during this process?  If other devices are being controlled via the PLM will it is in linking mode, will this cause issues?

Also, this process is only related to linking the remote device to the PLM.  Correct?  If I want to create scenes or group control via Misterhouse, I have to create those links in my insteon.mht file.  Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks, John P.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Dustin Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Easiest way is to just link them again.  Hold the set button down on the motion sensor till the light begins to flash.  Do the same on the PLM. they should link up and beep.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM, John Pellegrino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, at least I think so.  How can I tell?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Dustin Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you manually liked to the PLM?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM, pelle8 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

krkeegan
Administrator
Pelle8, sorry I do mean to help you, I just forgot to look at my setup last night.

Dustin's explanation above is generally correct. Looking at your logs I think you have a "half-link" created.  I meant to confirm this by looking at my setup, but I am pretty sure my recollection is correct.

Brief Step-by-Step Instructions for Motionlinc Installation
1. Add the item definition for your Motionlinc to your .mht file.  (Your excerpt above looks correct.  To confirm this, you can check from the webpage MH->MH Home-> Browse Categories-> Insteon. You should see the device listed in there.  If you do this step is done.)
2. Put your Motionlinc in "linking mode" (this is in the instruction manual, but I believe the process is hold down the set button for 3-5 seconds.  The red light should start blinking.)
3. On the webpage go to MH->MH Home-> Browse Categories-> Insteon, select "complete linking as responder" for your PLM.  Then click the table icon on the left.
3a. You should see your Motionlinc blink in a different fashion and then stop blinking.
4. On the MH webpage goto MH->MH Home-> Browse Categories-> Insteon and find your Motionlinc, select "Sync Links" and click the table icon if necessary.  (I think you already have this step done, but repeating it won't cause an issue.)
5. MH should now be able to see changes from your Motionlinc.  Tapping the set button will toggle between on/off for testing purposes.

(Linking the Motionlinc directly to another insteon device from MH is similar to this.)

Robert is correct in that MH cannot initiate a communication with the Motionlinc, to resolve this we have to manually press the set button to tell the Motionlinc to expect an instruction to arrive from the PLM.

Brief description of what I believe your problem to be (If you care to know):
I think you have a half-link created between the Motionlinc and the PLM.  The PLM has the responder entry, but the motionlinc is lacking the controller entry.  Although, I believe the motionlinc has a controller entry to another device (if you purchased this device used, it may be a device not in your network and you may want to factory reset your device).  I don't think the motionlinc would send out a broadcast command if it didn't have something in its linktable, but I could be wrong.

As a result of this, the motionlinc is sending out its broadcast alllink message when it sees motion. (See here for a detailed explanation of the alllink messages http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/Insteon+Linking+and+Scenes#How Scenes Work)  But since there is no controller record in the motionlinc to the PLM, the motionlinc is not following the broadcast up with a direct message.  Due to how MH is designed, it will ignore broadcast messages and wait for the direct message before it does anything.  As a result nothing is happening for you.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM, John Pellegrino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a difference in linking via the web or manually via the set button on the PLM?  Is there an advantage over doing it one way or another?  I don't care either way, but I am a curious guy by nature and like to know how things work :)...  Thanks, John P.

Curiosity is good, the more you understand, the less questions you will have.  For creating a responder link on the PLM, no it doesn't matter which way you do it, but the web based way is helpful if stairs are involved :-p.

If you own i2cs devices, you can also create the initial controller link FROM the PLM to the device either way as well.  Either use the "initiate linking as controller" or hold the set button on the PLM and then press and hold the set button on the device.  These type of links are only necessary for i2cs devices that can't communicate with the PLM until a link is manually created.

Re: Insteon Motion Sensor

Michael Stovenour
Administrator

On Mar 19, 2013 5:07 PM Kevin wrote,

[...]

This is “key”.  New devices purchased in the last year are likely i2CS and will “require” this last part Kevin described.  I don’t think the remote-link will learn the link in the other direction until you create a link where the remote link is the responder and the PLM is the controller.  This might describe the “half” linking state.  I’m working on a process to automate this for most Insteon devices but the remote link will probably still require manual linking like Kevin described just above.

Re: PLM Baud Rate

Marc MERLIN-7
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 07:43:15AM -0700, pelle8 wrote:

> Setting the baud rate using:
>
> my $speed = 115200;
>
> in the insteon_plm.pm file did the trick with the Smartenit ZBPLM modem.
> Would it be possible to modify this file in the source so that it reads the
> config parms like the serial port?  I think something like:
>
> my $speed = $::config_parms{$instance . "_baudrate"};
>
> There could be some additional code that would set the speed to 19200 if
> that parameter is not found.  It is no big deal since it works with
> modifying the file directly, but it would be nice if we didn't have to worry
> about updates wiping out this hack.

Michael/Kevin, are you able to add this to your branch, or should this be
added to the main trunk, and you'll merge later?

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

Re: PLM Baud Rate

krkeegan
Administrator
This can be added to the main branch.  I have only been adding i2 specific items to Michael's code. If it doesn't directly relate to i2, I send it to the main branch.  I think Michael has been doing the same.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 02:12:14PM -0700, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
> This can be added to the main branch.  I have only been adding i2 specific
> items to Michael's code. If it doesn't directly relate to i2, I send it to
> the main branch.  I think Michael has been doing the same.

Thanks Kevin.

So there you go pelle8, please send us a git pull request for your patch.

https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Contributing

Marc