Insteon Developer is Free now?

krkeegan
Administrator
It looks like Insteon may have finally wised up.  This page has links to the new outletlinc developer notes as well as 3 of the older Insteon devices.

All available without signing up for anything or paying a dime.  Not much yet, but it is certainly promising.  Hopefully they will populate the page with the dox for other products.  Or maybe they are planning a complete refresh of their line.

Re: Insteon Developer is Free now?

krkeegan
Administrator
More good news.

Insteon has released a decent REST API for its hub!  It looks very promising.

Insteon has also continued to release the Developer Notes for many of its older products.  There are nearly 40 products with notes available now.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like Insteon may have finally wised up.  This page has links to the new outletlinc developer notes as well as 3 of the older Insteon devices.

All available without signing up for anything or paying a dime.  Not much yet, but it is certainly promising.  Hopefully they will populate the page with the dox for other products.  Or maybe they are planning a complete refresh of their line.

Re: Insteon Developer is Free now?

George Clark
Hi Kevin,

By Insteon Hub API are they talking about the hardware hub,  or an Insteon web site?   Reading through the docs I get the impression that it's their website.

One of the reasons to use MH & Insteon is because I do not want stuff inside my house communicating status & presence to 3rd parties outside the house.  Maybe I'm a luddite,  but my firewall blocks all incoming and outgoing traffic from any devices we install - insteon, rtc thermostats, etc.    I guess I'm bucking the trend here, but someday I believe we are going to regret becoming totally dependent upon external 3rd parties to set the heat and start the coffee and unlock the doors.

The API may be a good thing, and it's certainly good that they are releasing documentation for their products.  But not if I need to control my house from some external internet overlord.   I'm afraid that if the direction here is to have MH post to some insteon.com server to then control an internal device,  that will be a non-starter for me.

Thanks,
George

www.gigenet.com

Re: Insteon Developer is Free now?

krkeegan
Administrator
It is an API to the website, which the hub will communicate with if you register it online.  In fact, I think it tries to call home constantly even if you haven't registered it.

I certainly understand the concerns, but sadly I think most platforms are going this direction.

At the moment I cannot find any means for getting real-time updates from devices without directly querying the API for a status of that device.  This is a crucial oversight that I would hope they would fix.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:37 AM, George Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Neil Cherry <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a recipe for failure (HA, cloud based API). I've seen a dozen different
solutions already fail into oblivion in the last year (the $300 Resolv is the
one at the top of my list).

The Revolv hub was bought by Google and best I can tell, a lot of their work has been included into the Nest API.  It may be premature to call them a failure.

I am equally concerned about the security of cloud based HA.  But current trends suggest that the public at large is much more willing to risk security for increased interoperability and ease of use.

Re: Insteon Developer is Free now?

Marc MERLIN-7
Administrator
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 09:49:09AM -0800, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
> I am equally concerned about the security of cloud based HA.  But current
> trends suggest that the public at large is much more willing to risk
> security for increased interoperability and ease of use.

Correct.

I do however use insteon to cycle my internet connection, so that
wouldn't work too well anymore :)

But more seriously, while I wouldn't trust smarthome with access to my
house, door lock, and so forth, the risk is pretty small in the big
picture and most people won't care.

Just like I refused to have a door lock that talks to a remote internet
server, both for security and reliability, so I made my own:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linuxha/post_2013-01-30_2-way-talking-to-a-Lockstate-LS-DB-500R-lock-because-the-Lockstate-wifi-Remotelock-is-no-good-for-me.html

But again, most people won't bother :)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

Re: Insteon Developer is Free now?

Michelle Dupuis-2

I can't say I'm to wowed by their commitment to the open source / API world.  Not until Wink / SmartThings / Nest / etc showed up with published API's did smarthome/insteon suddenly decide that developers were their friends.

I think it's too little too late.  I decided not to go Insteon as I started to replace my X10.