Quantcast

Important - How Should we Handle Line Endings in MH?

Important - How Should we Handle Line Endings in MH?

krkeegan
Administrator
This is a mundane topic, but our decision on how to proceed could have a big impact on MisterHouse.  So please read and comment on this if you have something to say.

The current MisterHouse code base is currently a mix of both CRLF and LF line endings.  Some files even contain both CRLF and LF interspersed throughout the file.

Mixing line endings can cause it to appear that a line has been edited when in fact nothing has happened.  Indeed, I recently ran into a file which contained a mix of both CRLF and LF, my editor really dislikes this and tried to pick a single line ending format for the entire file.  This lead to multiple "false changes."

I want to be clear, changing the line endings will have no effect on the functionality of MisterHouse.

Going forward we have two options as I see it:

1. Do nothing.  We continue to permit ANY line ending to be used in MisterHouse.  I believe this action is considered "sloppy" by most programmers.  This would also likely lead to a number of "false changes" in the future as the line endings bounce back and forth.  Those committing files can take steps to avoid such "false changes" but I am sure these steps will be missed sometimes.  I also wonder if mixed use could lead to more frequent commit conflicts, this is pure speculation on my part.

2. Convert to using LF.  This would be a mostly transparent conversion.  Git can be instructed to automatically convert CRLF to LF, simultaneously git can also automatically convert LF files to CRLF files in the working directory of windows git users.  The major downside to this plan is that it would require a single large commit to convert all CRLF files to LF.  Each affected line would appear to be modified.  In some cases this would make it look like the entire file was changed.  This would make a mess out of the commit history.  A list of the affected files is at the end of this email.

My opinion.  I am somewhat disheartened that we even have to make this decision.  Neither option seems particularly appealing to me.  That said, I would chose to convert to using LF by a slight margin.

Kevin

Files that use CRLF at least once and would be modified by a conversion:

#       modified:   bin/xAP-speech.pl
#       modified:   code/common/cm11_control.pl
#       modified:   code/common/cm11_monitor.pl
#       modified:   code/common/dvd_player.pl
#       modified:   code/common/email_marketplace_sales.pl
#       modified:   code/common/froggyrita.pl
#       modified:   code/common/holiday_ical.pl
#       modified:   code/common/mp3_dj.pl
#       modified:   code/examples/iButton_weather_station.pl
#       modified:   code/examples/network_items_web.pl
#       modified:   code/examples/test_weather_item.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/flagreminders.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/grlevel3.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/klier.mht
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/calllog.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/callog.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/radar.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/tk_frames.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/tk_widgets.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/old stuff i don't use anymore/tracking.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/phonestuff.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/radar-wx.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/stormwarning.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Brian/xpl.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Esensor_EM01.pl
#       modified:   code/public/Ricardo/code/tv_com.pl
#       modified:   code/public/hvac_upb_thermostat.pl
#       modified:   docs/faq.pod
#       modified:   lib/Insteon.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/AllLinkDatabase.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/BaseInsteon.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/BaseInterface.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/Controller.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/Irrigation.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/Lighting.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/Message.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/MessageDecoder.pm
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/MessageDecoder_test.pl
#       modified:   lib/Insteon/PLMTerminal.pl
#       modified:   lib/Insteon_PLM.pm
#       modified:   lib/Weather_davisvantageproii.pm
#       modified:   lib/X10_RF_rfxsensor.pm
#       modified:   lib/ajax.pm
#       modified:   lib/site/MSN.pm
#       modified:   lib/site/Tk/CursorControl.pm
#       modified:   lib/site/Tk/ToolBar.pm
#       modified:   lib/site/Win32/TieRegistry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win50/Win32/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win50/Win32API/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win56/Win32/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win56/Win32API/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win58/Win32/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/site_win58/Win32API/Registry.pm
#       modified:   lib/xPL_Items.pm
#       modified:   web/newclock/alarm.pl
#       modified:   web/newclock/index.pl

Re: Important - How Should we Handle Line Endings in MH?

Marc MERLIN-7
Administrator
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 03:36:11PM -0800, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
> My opinion.  I am somewhat disheartened that we even have to make this
> decision.  Neither option seems particularly appealing to me.  That said, I
> would chose to convert to using LF by a slight margin.

+1 on that, and thanks for the cleanup, the mix was annoying.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901

Re: Important - How Should we Handle Line Endings in MH?

Steve Switzer
I am with you on #2. However, I'm sure this will create some conflicts for people and will be slightly painful because of it. However, it's likely a good idea to get it over with for the sake of the longevity of the project.

Best regards,
Steve Switzer

---
Get world-class business I.T. services and a phone system with awesome features that won't challenge your budget!
http://www.SwitzerBusinessSolutions.com
On 11/06/2013 06:36 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
[...]

Joel Davidson-2
Yes, this sounds like the right way to go.  Some pain at first and
then it will be done.  Thanks for the effort on this Kevin.

Joel

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013, it would appear that Steve Switzer wrote:

> [...]
>> #       modified:   lib/Weather_davisvantageproii.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/X10_RF_rfxsensor.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/ajax.pm <http://ajax.pm>
>> #       modified:   lib/site/MSN.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site/Tk/CursorControl.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site/Tk/ToolBar.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site/Win32/TieRegistry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win50/Win32/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win50/Win32API/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win56/Win32/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win56/Win32API/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win58/Win32/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/site_win58/Win32API/Registry.pm
>> #       modified:   lib/xPL_Items.pm
>> #       modified:   web/newclock/alarm.pl <http://alarm.pl>
>> #       modified:   web/newclock/index.pl <http://index.pl>

Re: Important - How Should we Handle Line Endings in MH?

Lieven Hollevoet
Hi Kevin,

I don't see the problem with the single commit to fix the line endings that you describe as a downside. Why does this mess up the commit history? For the affected files there will be an extra entry in the commit log telling we fixed the line endings... Which is exactly what we should do to improve the quality of the codebase.

Green light for me to apply the change too! And to add a .gitattributes file to the repo that enforces all users to use the same line ending convention (LF only in the repo and autoconversion to the correct platform line endings on cloning).

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

Jim Duda
On 11/06/2013 06:36 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:

I vote for LF cleanup, thanks.

Jim