IA7 web icon status/update

Jeff Huettner
Hi all - does anyone else have issues with IA7 web icons not reflecting true item status?  For me, it works maybe 90-95% of the time, but every once-in-a-while I can change the status of an item on the page (example: turn on a light) and it doesn't update the icon (light icon remains "off" even though the item and the log file reflect the new 'on' status).  A subsequent reload of the page will show the correct status on that icon.

Is there a timeout I can tweak or other debugging that might tell whats going on?

Regards,
Jeff

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

Joel Davidson-2
I've seen similar behavior.  In my experience, if you wait long enough the status gets updated. Typically I'm not that patient and just reload the page.

Joel
--
Joel Davidson
Austin TX

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

H Plato
What browser are you using? If using Chrome, go to the IA7 page, then open up developer tools and select network. You should see a LONG_POLL?json(…) as pending. If you change the object, json_server LONG_POLL will notice the that the object’s state time change has been updated and then send back the changed object.

Can you reproduce the issue?

> On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Joel Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've seen similar behavior.  In my experience, if you wait long enough the status gets updated. Typically I'm not that patient and just reload the page.
>
> Joel
> --
> Joel Davidson
> Austin TX

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

Joel Davidson-2
I'm running firefox on linux (Fedora 23) on my desktop, and chrome on
my android phone.

I don't see a way to get to developer tools on my phone.

A related ia7 question: How do I get the "browse all lights" page to
populate?  When I select it, I get a blank page that says "no objects
found".  Is there another keyword I need to put in my .mht file?

Thanks.

Joel

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, it would appear that H Plato wrote:

> What browser are you using? If using Chrome, go to the IA7 page, then open up developer tools and select network. You should see a LONG_POLL?json(?) as pending. If you change the object, json_server LONG_POLL will notice the that the object?s state time change has been updated and then send back the changed object.
>
> Can you reproduce the issue?
>
> > On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Joel Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I've seen similar behavior.  In my experience, if you wait long enough the status gets updated. Typically I'm not that patient and just reload the page.
> >
> > Joel
> > --
> > Joel Davidson
> > Austin TX

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

Jeff Huettner

I'm using Firefox on Linux both at home and at work (version 50 at home, 43 at work). I've seen the issue on Chrome on Android as well.  The issue is reproducible eventually if I smash buttons long enough, and unlike Joel's experience I can wait forever and not have it update.  I have to force the update with a page reload.

I do see the pending LONG_POLL using the Firefox developer tools, both for success and failure cases.

Additionally, I suspected that the issue is more pronounced when MH is more heavily loaded (ie, running fewer loops per second than usual), so just now I added this line to my main loop:

select( undef, undef, undef, .500 );

In doing so, the issue is significantly more reproducible (maybe 100% of the time on my work machine).

Anything else I can try?

Regards,
Jeff

> What browser are you using? If using Chrome, go to the IA7 page, then open up developer

> tools and select network. You should see a LONG_POLL?json(…) as pending. If you change

> the object, json_server LONG_POLL will notice the that the object’s state time change

> has been updated and then send back the changed object.
>
> Can you reproduce the issue?

>> On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Joel Davidson <jrd@...> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen similar behavior.  In my experience, if you wait long enough the status gets updated. Typically I'm not that patient and just reload the page.
>>
>> Joel
>> --
>> Joel Davidson
>> Austin TX

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

Joel Davidson-2
On further investigation, on both of my systems I have to manually
reload the page in order to see the updated status.  I thought I'd seen
it update if I waited long enough, but I can't reproduce that behavior.

Joel

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016, it would appear that Jeff Huettner wrote:

> I'm using Firefox on Linux both at home and at work (version 50 at home, 43 at work). I've seen the issue on Chrome on Android as well.  The issue is reproducible eventually if I smash buttons long enough, and unlike Joel's experience I can wait forever and not have it update.  I have to force the update with a page reload.
>
> I do see the pending LONG_POLL using the Firefox developer tools, both for success and failure cases.
>

> Additionally, I suspected that the issue is more pronounced when MH is more heavily loaded (ie, running fewer loops per second than usual), so just now I added this line to my main loop:
>
> select( undef, undef, undef, .500 );
>

> In doing so, the issue is significantly more reproducible (maybe 100% of the time on my work machine).
>

> Anything else I can try?
>
> Regards,
> Jeff
>

> > What browser are you using? If using Chrome, go to the IA7 page, then open up developer
>
> > tools and select network. You should see a LONG_POLL?json(?) as pending. If you change
>
> > the object, json_server LONG_POLL will notice the that the object?s state time change
>
> > has been updated and then send back the changed object.
> >
> > Can you reproduce the issue?
>

> >> On Dec 4, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Joel Davidson <jrd@...> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've seen similar behavior.  In my experience, if you wait long enough the status gets updated. Typically I'm not that patient and just reload the page.
> >>
> >> Joel
> >> --
> >> Joel Davidson
> >> Austin TX

Re: IA7 web icon status/update

H Plato
Jeff, did you email the misterhouse-users list? I don’t see your email. Thanks for digging into this!!

Yup, the javascript works on ms, and parts of MH works on seconds. I’ll make that change to my development setup and test as well!

For another challenge, I think somewhere in this loop is driving the high CPU utilization. On the IA7 main page, I have about 3-4% CPU utilization for MH. However on a page with objects where the browser is sending long_polls, I get around 30-40% CPU utilization.  I used nytprof to profile MH to see if I could narrow it down, but it just shows numbers of calls and seconds processing, so I couldn’t easily tell what the root cause might be.