Digital IO / weeder?

H Plato
Hello,

I’d like to be able to monitor dry contact closures — I’ve picked up a relay that I think I can monitor my doorbell with.

It looks like someone has already done this with the weeder_doorbell.pl, just wanted to know what folks are using to monitor contact closures, and how reliable are they. Any comments or feedback on a cheap digital IO interface? I saw that Dan was working on GPIO and a raspberry PI, but I’d prefer something USB to just plug directly into the linux server.

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

Jeff Siddall
On 07/09/2016 02:29 PM, H Plato wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’d like to be able to monitor dry contact closures — I’ve picked up a relay that I think I can monitor my doorbell with.
>
> It looks like someone has already done this with the weeder_doorbell.pl, just wanted to know what folks are using to monitor contact closures, and how reliable are they. Any comments or feedback on a cheap digital IO interface? I saw that Dan was working on GPIO and a raspberry PI, but I’d prefer something USB to just plug directly into the linux server.

Since no one else has picked it up I am working on a controller for
MySensors:

https://www.mysensors.org/about/

Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on it and I'm not a
programmer so things are moving slowly.  So far it looks like the
sensors themselves work well and with a suitable amount of setup it is
pretty easy to get the gateway talking to MH via a serial_item.

Jeff

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

H Plato
I’ve got to say, that’s a bit of a confusing web site. The serial port protocol looks nice and simple, and I agree that serial_item should work. From what I figure, buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110956290155?rmvSB=true and then putting a dry contact on one of the digital IO pins, and it should just work?

$9 is better than a $80 weeder board (and then add in the cost of a USB to serial adapter)

On Jul 9, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Jeff Siddall <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Joel Davidson-2
Harold,

I've been using Weeder DIO boards for a number of years to monitor
a bunch of alarm sensors, and they've worked great.  Never lost an
input even after serious lightning storms.  I agree they're pricey,
but they do seem to be pretty resilient.

If you need serial ports, I've still got that Moxa 8 port pci board
I'm trying to get rid of.  Was asking $35 plus shipping but will
accept a reasonable offer.  :)

Joel
--
Joel Davidson
Austin, TX

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016, it would appear that H Plato wrote:

> I?ve got to say, that?s a bit of a confusing web site. The serial port protocol looks nice and simple, and I agree that serial_item should work. From what I figure, buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110956290155?rmvSB=true <http://www.ebay.com/itm/110956290155?rmvSB=true> and then putting a dry contact on one of the digital IO pins, and it should just work?
>
> $9 is better than a $80 weeder board (and then add in the cost of a USB to serial adapter)
>

> > On Jul 9, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Jeff Siddall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/09/2016 02:29 PM, H Plato wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I?d like to be able to monitor dry contact closures ? I?ve picked up a relay that I think I can monitor my doorbell with.
> >>
> >> It looks like someone has already done this with the weeder_doorbell.pl, just wanted to know what folks are using to monitor contact closures, and how reliable are they. Any comments or feedback on a cheap digital IO interface? I saw that Dan was working on GPIO and a raspberry PI, but I?d prefer something USB to just plug directly into the linux server.
> >
> > Since no one else has picked it up I am working on a controller for
> > MySensors:
> >
> > https://www.mysensors.org/about/
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on it and I'm not a
> > programmer so things are moving slowly.  So far it looks like the
> > sensors themselves work well and with a suitable amount of setup it is
> > pretty easy to get the gateway talking to MH via a serial_item.
> >
> > Jeff

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

Jeff Siddall
On 07/09/2016 09:28 PM, H Plato wrote:
> I’ve got to say, that’s a bit of a confusing web site. The serial port
> protocol looks nice and simple, and I agree that serial_item should
> work. From what I figure, buying this:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/110956290155?rmvSB=true and then putting a dry
> contact on one of the digital IO pins, and it should just work?
>
> $9 is better than a $80 weeder board (and then add in the cost of a USB
> to serial adapter)

Yes, I did just that and tested it with MH.  Here's some code snips to
get you going:

my $DEBUG = 1;

$mysensors_basement_serial = new Serial_Item(undef, undef, 'serial1');

if (my $message = said $mysensors_basement_serial) {

     if ($message =~
/(\d{1,3});(\d{1,3});(\d{1,3});([01]);(\d{1,3});*(.*)/) {

         my ($node_id, $child_id, $type, $ack, $subtype, $data) = ($1,
$2, $3, $4, $5, $6);

         print_log "[MySensors] DEBUG: Received message: $message" if
$DEBUG;

if (($type == 1) || ($type == 2)) {
             if (($node_id == 1) && ($child_id == 1) && ($subtype == 16)
&& ($data == 1)) {
                 print_log "[MySensors] INFO: Example of changing the
state of something because a touch sensor was pressed";
             }
         }
     }
}

Keep in mind I have not actually tested the code above, as these are
just some key bits I pulled out of a bigger chunk of code, but it is
[hopefully] close enough to get you started.  You need to substitute the
right node, child, subtype and data for your application.

As of the current version (2.0) the gateway doesn't even need a radio so
if you just wanted a relay board you could still use a MySensors gateway
to do "wired" control. There was an issue with that configuration when I
first tried it but I reported it and it was literally fixed within an hour!

Good luck!

Jeff

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

Jeff Siddall
On 07/10/2016 12:44 AM, Dan Bemowski wrote:
> Also, on top of the serial communications plugin that Jeff is working
> on, they even have plans to build an MQTT gateway, which I think
> someone has already written a MH plugin for.

Good point.  Yes, they have an MQTT version of the gateway which I
honestly never looked into:

https://www.mysensors.org/build/mqtt_gateway

Is MQTT support in MH good enough to make this work in a simple way?  I
know absolutely nothing about MQTT.

Jeff

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

H Plato
I use mqtt to reliably read utility data from emoncms. I don't know if mh can 'write' to this interface, nor what the latency is.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 7:42 AM, Jeff Siddall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/2016 12:44 AM, Dan Bemowski wrote:
>> Also, on top of the serial communications plugin that Jeff is working
>> on, they even have plans to build an MQTT gateway, which I think
>> someone has already written a MH plugin for.
>
> Good point.  Yes, they have an MQTT version of the gateway which I
> honestly never looked into:
>
> https://www.mysensors.org/build/mqtt_gateway
>
> Is MQTT support in MH good enough to make this work in a simple way?  I
> know absolutely nothing about MQTT.
>
> Jeff

Re: Digital IO / weeder?

Neil Cherry-3
On 07/13/2016 09:42 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:

> On 07/10/2016 12:44 AM, Dan Bemowski wrote:
>> Also, on top of the serial communications plugin that Jeff is working
>> on, they even have plans to build an MQTT gateway, which I think
>> someone has already written a MH plugin for.
>
> Good point.  Yes, they have an MQTT version of the gateway which I
> honestly never looked into:
>
> https://www.mysensors.org/build/mqtt_gateway
>
> Is MQTT support in MH good enough to make this work in a simple way?  I
> know absolutely nothing about MQTT.

I'm using it with my Smart things hub, seems to work pretty well. I've
not connected it to mysensors.org.

I also have a PIC32 running Arduino code that talks to MQTT and Misterhouse
is controlling a traffic light and reading the temperature and humidity
from the appropriate MQTT topic. I've not tried to connect MH back to the
mqtt cloud services. Lieven might have something running.

At the moment I have around 17 topics, 5 of which are on/off devices.

I have one change to the code, which caches the topics when MH subscribes.
I use wildcards and I end up with around 80 topics. This allows me to
get the device state from the cache (if it exists) when the device starts
up. It's only a week old so I don't know if this is the best approach yet.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies