Authorization on /mh/set MH URL and Doorbird IP doorbell - workaround

Authorization on /mh/set MH URL and Doorbird IP doorbell - workaround

Jason Spangler
Thanks Wayne for the Doorbird Video Door Station (IP doorbell) support!
See https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/601

I now have my Doorbird doorbell button triggering an Insteon IOLinc
module to also ring my pre-Doorbird traditional door chime - which
increases the wife acceptance factor (WAF) of the Doorbird.  :-)

One problem I had to work around: if you have authorization enabled in
Misterhouse, the Doorbird will silently fail due to a "Not logged in"
error when it tries to hit the MH URL to signal MH that the doorbell
button was pressed.

I could not find a way to pass a MH login on the command line to the MH
URL that MH adds a subscription to on the Doorbird for the doorbell, aka
http://mh-host/mh/set/?$DOORBIRD_Bell?ON .  (Does anyone know of a way?)

My not-as-secure workaround was adding the Doorbird's IP address to the
password_allow_clients= line in my mh.private.ini file so MH would not
require authorization when the Doorbird hits a MH URL.

One other suggestion: Change /mh/set? to /mh/set;no_response? to reduce
load and output spam when the Doorbird notified MH of the doorbell being
pressed.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Authorization on /mh/set MH URL and Doorbird IP doorbell - workaround

Wayne Gatlin
I don't know of a way to embed the MH username and password into the URL, but in my opinion I would say that allowing the IP is more secure than having a user name and password in clear text in the config file because if the user/pass is compromised then it can be used from any where, with the IP access at least only the doorbell has access which is an embedded device that cant do a whole lot.

Yeah, I could add no_response

_Wayne