Quantcast

Arduino fun

Steve Switzer
Hi everyone! I just recently ordered and received an arduino kit and
have my first led flashing program working on it. Not really a big deal,
but I I tend to do best with projects when I have a real goal in mind
rather than just following project instructions and examples.

So, has anyone done anything interesting with an arduino and MH? care to
share?

Thanks!

Steve

Re: Arduino fun

Jeff Siddall
On 11/23/2016 10:24 AM, Steve Switzer wrote:
> Hi everyone! I just recently ordered and received an arduino kit and
> have my first led flashing program working on it. Not really a big deal,
> but I I tend to do best with projects when I have a real goal in mind
> rather than just following project instructions and examples.
>
> So, has anyone done anything interesting with an arduino and MH? care to
> share?

Of course!  The best thing to do with an Arduino:

https://www.mysensors.org

This will be in the next MH release.  For now you can just grab the .pm:

https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/613/files

Jeff

Re: Arduino fun

Jeff Siddall
On 11/23/2016 10:58 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> This will be in the next MH release.  For now you can just grab the .pm:
>
> https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/613/files

I should add that I have an update coming with some fixes including
better error trapping, MHT file support and support for multimeter
sensors. If you are interested in testing this let me know and I will
get that update done sooner than later.

Jeff

Re: Arduino fun

Jeff Siddall
On 11/23/2016 11:13 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> I should add that I have an update coming with some fixes including
> better error trapping, MHT file support and support for multimeter
> sensors. If you are interested in testing this let me know and I will
> get that update done sooner than later.

Nevermind, apparently I already forgot about doing this pull as request 614:

https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/pull/614

So you should be able to get the latest goodness from hollie:master

Jeff

Re: Arduino fun

Neil Cherry-3
On 11/23/2016 12:56 PM, John wrote:

I have my PIC32 w/Arduino firmware (Fubarino) talking to MQTT and MH talking
to MQTT. MH is turning on a Red, Yellow and Green LED (traffic light). I've
never been able to get the WIZNet (Ethernet) to remain stable on the Uno
but it works fine on my Fubarino and Chipkit Uno32.

Author of:     Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Re: Arduino fun

mathewss

I have been playing with moteino lately and have found lots of positive things about the project. The RF firmware update, lower power radio as well as the ability if I want to go long range 1/2 mile or better with AES encryption all tied to a Arduino with easy to customize and design sensors.

https://lowpowerlab.com/guide/switchmote/

All I do is connect to the "Master" and send it a simple string RADIOID:CMD:PARAM and the light turns on etc.

Best

 Sean M

Re: Arduino fun

Giles Godart-Brown
I use about a dozen Arduinos all of which communicate with MH for the
following;

Standalone controllers e.g. greenhouse irrigation and burglar alarm.
The Arduino gives these the ability to run even if my MH is indisposed.

Sensor concentrators/bridges e.g. 1-wire temperature sensors to xPL.
This offloads work from MH and allows me to have 2 MH instances
watchdogging each other, if one fails the other takes over and still
gets all my sensor readings because they are being IP multicast over xPL.

Gateways e.g. xPL from MH to LightwaveRF for mains switches, or X10RF to
xPL for PIRs, again offloads work from MH.

Simple sensors e.g. Electricity meter reader, oil tank sensor

Fun e.g. replacement for my Rex10 barking dog which died last year :-(

Like others I've found Wifi and Arduino very difficult to make cheap and
reliable, especially the ESP2866 module with the large number of
multicast xPL messages on my network.  Consequently I mostly use them
with wired ethernet which I've found to be solid and for wireless comms
I use LightwaveRF and X10RF with cheap 433MHz transmitters and receivers.

Giles