Quantcast

Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Jim Duda
Administrator
I've installed zoneminder, www.zoneminder.com, and have it configured for
use with my pico2000
video capture card.  Very nice application, seems to work quite well.

However, I think there might be some odd interaction with MH, which I cannot
explain.  I don't
have conclusive evidence, however, I'm finding that with the zoneminder
deamons running, I can
get MH to lock up.  This seems random, however, without the daemons running,
I don't have
any problems.  With the zm deamons running, I get a random lockup of MH
every day or two.

Anyone using zoneminder daemons successfully with MH?

BTW, I'm running fedora core 4 as well.

Jim





-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Gregg Liming
Quoting Jim Duda (1/23/06 9:32 AM):

> I've installed zoneminder, www.zoneminder.com, and have it configured for
> use with my pico2000
> video capture card.  Very nice application, seems to work quite well.
>
> However, I think there might be some odd interaction with MH, which I cannot
> explain.  I don't
> have conclusive evidence, however, I'm finding that with the zoneminder
> deamons running, I can
> get MH to lock up.  This seems random, however, without the daemons running,
> I don't have
> any problems.  With the zm deamons running, I get a random lockup of MH
> every day or two.
>
> Anyone using zoneminder daemons successfully with MH?

Jim,

From the discussion above, it sounds like your question is specific to
mh and zm running on the same system--in which case I don't have
anything to offer (as mine are on different systems).  But, in case
you're interested, I just finished an xAP "plugin" for zm.  Details can
be found here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4442.
I'm about to work on the mh side--likely extending the Motion object to
support zm alarms.  One thing that I'm anticipating is the ability to
derive alarm trajectory since x/y telemetry is optionally reported by
the plugin.  The plugin is "2-way" in that you can also control zm
monitor motion detection from an xAP client (e.g., mh).  FWIW: the xAP
libs that implement the plugin are derived from the mh code.

Gregg


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Richard Koch

Gregg,

I'm just lurking on the thread, but as I was reading your remarks I was
wondering... Implementing an xAP client between zoneminder and MH
means that data is exchanged via UDP. My concern is that if one is using
zoneminder for security wouldn't it be better to have the data exchange be
TCP -vs- UDP so that at least you have the best chance of capturing the
data?
Granted, most UDP data will get to it's destination, but for security
purposes
shouldn't TCP be preferred?

-Rick


>From: Gregg Liming <[hidden email]>
>Reply-To: [hidden email]
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [mh] Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?
>Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:56:07 -0500
>
>Jim,
>
>From the discussion above, it sounds like your question is specific to
>mh and zm running on the same system--in which case I don't have
>anything to offer (as mine are on different systems).  But, in case
>you're interested, I just finished an xAP "plugin" for zm.  Details can
>be found here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4442.
>I'm about to work on the mh side--likely extending the Motion object to
>support zm alarms.  One thing that I'm anticipating is the ability to
>derive alarm trajectory since x/y telemetry is optionally reported by
>the plugin.  The plugin is "2-way" in that you can also control zm
>monitor motion detection from an xAP client (e.g., mh).  FWIW: the xAP
>libs that implement the plugin are derived from the mh code.
>
>Gregg
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log
>files
>for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
>http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
>________________________________________________________
>To unsubscribe from this list, go to:
>http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365
>




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Gregg Liming
Quoting Richard Koch (1/23/06 5:48 PM):

> Implementing an xAP client between zoneminder and MH
> means that data is exchanged via UDP. My concern is that if one is using
> zoneminder for security wouldn't it be better to have the data exchange be
> TCP -vs- UDP so that at least you have the best chance of capturing the
> data?
> Granted, most UDP data will get to it's destination, but for security
> purposes
> shouldn't TCP be preferred?

Richard,

        That's a good point.  Just to clarify, I believe that you are
addressing the reliability of comms in a "security" context rather than
the security of comms in a "security" context.  Both xAP and xPL tend to
address "targeted message command acknowledgement" at the schema level
(i.e., explicit message "ack") in cases where it is important that the
sender know that the recipient receives the message.  So, any retry
would then happen at the application layer rather than the network layer.

        From a practical stand-point, I'm personally much more concerned about
the possibility of either my single mh system or single zm system
stopping (or dieing) for some reason than I am with UDP delivery
(although neither has ever happened in my environment excepting extended
power outages).  In addition, my use (and maybe others) is for the "less
secure" aspects of zm to mh info exchange.  As a specific example, my
original motivation was to use camera zones for the large open areas in
my house to overcome problems with overlapping PIR coverage when
attempting to use occupancy tracking.  That means that any possibility
of a dropped message (which remains unlikely in my environment) would
not result in any serious consequence.  Lastly, selection of xAP
(implying reliance of UDP) was a deliberate tradeoff for me--the
advantage being greater leveraged use by user communities that have
adopted xAP vice the disadvantage of the potential for dropped packets.

        In summary, your point is worth considering for users that have
differing environments and/or needs than I do.  The downside is that I'm
unaware of any work toward implementing a TCP interface between zm and mh.

Gregg


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Richard Koch

> That's a good point.  Just to clarify, I believe that you are
>addressing the reliability of comms in a "security" context rather than
>the security of comms in a "security" context.  Both xAP and xPL tend to
>address "targeted message command acknowledgement" at the schema level
>(i.e., explicit message "ack") in cases where it is important that the
>sender know that the recipient receives the message.  So, any retry
>would then happen at the application layer rather than the network layer.

Ahhh, I didn't know about the "targeted message command acknowledgement".
That addresses my concern.

I played around with xPL a while back just sending simple status commands
back
and forth between a MH pc and a touchpad PC (in the kitchen). I noticed that
I would loose a status packet every once in a while especially when
streaming
video across the network. So I gave up on the xPL status and just used
netcat in TCP mode.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep the xAP/xPL acknowledgement in mind for the
next project.

-Rick


>
> From a practical stand-point, I'm personally much more concerned about
>the possibility of either my single mh system or single zm system
>stopping (or dieing) for some reason than I am with UDP delivery
>(although neither has ever happened in my environment excepting extended
>power outages).  In addition, my use (and maybe others) is for the "less
>secure" aspects of zm to mh info exchange.  As a specific example, my
>original motivation was to use camera zones for the large open areas in
>my house to overcome problems with overlapping PIR coverage when
>attempting to use occupancy tracking.  That means that any possibility
>of a dropped message (which remains unlikely in my environment) would
>not result in any serious consequence.  Lastly, selection of xAP
>(implying reliance of UDP) was a deliberate tradeoff for me--the
>advantage being greater leveraged use by user communities that have
>adopted xAP vice the disadvantage of the potential for dropped packets.
>
> In summary, your point is worth considering for users that have
>differing environments and/or needs than I do.  The downside is that I'm
>unaware of any work toward implementing a TCP interface between zm and mh.
>
>Gregg
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log
>files
>for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
>http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
>________________________________________________________
>To unsubscribe from this list, go to:
>http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365
>




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642
________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, go to: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1365

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

H Plato
In reply to this post by Jim Duda

I’ve been using zoneminder for a little while now. I primarily use it to capture event, and secondly to display a image out to my Audreys. I’ve modified the security camera’s page to point to the cgi script to generate a jpeg ie:

 

<img src="http://www/cgi-bin/zms?mode=jpeg&monitor=7&scale=100&maxfps=15" width="320" height="240">

 

Strangely enough most of the time (90%) the Audrey’s can get the live feed, but other times, for no reason I can determine, I get no picture at all.

 

I get the opposite scenario from Jim, with the latest 1.21.4, every few days the zoneminder processes go <defunct>, and I have to hard kill the processes. This didn’t happen with 1.21.3 and I’m hoping the recently released 1.22 has fixed this.

 

I’m running FC3, using the zoneminder rpms.

 

howard

----------------------------------------------------

To: [hidden email]

From:  "Jim Duda" <[hidden email]>

Date:  Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:32:43 -0500

Subject: [mh] Anyone using zoneminder with MH ?

Reply-To: [hidden email]

 

I've installed zoneminder, www.zoneminder.com, and have it configured for

use with my pico2000

video capture card.  Very nice application, seems to work quite well.

 

However, I think there might be some odd interaction with MH, which I cannot

explain.  I don't

have conclusive evidence, however, I'm finding that with the zoneminder

deamons running, I can

get MH to lock up.  This seems random, however, without the daemons running,

I don't have

any problems.  With the zm deamons running, I get a random lockup of MH

every day or two.

 

Anyone using zoneminder daemons successfully with MH?

 

BTW, I'm running fedora core 4 as well.

 

Jim

Loading...