Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Thomas Harding-2
Ok, my long awaited desire has come true. For years I have wanted a mechanical head that would move when MH speaks. I have had some interest for some time in those mounted "Buck" heads at Wal-Mart that move and sing. But at $100, I was hesitant. I thought it would be an interesting project to take one apart and build a robot or android head to use with MH. They have a function where you can plug in an audio source and it will animate to the sound. Well, I went in the other day and one was on clearance for $35! Needless to say, it is hanging in my livingroom now. All I need is a longer cable to plug it into the PC. So, now MH will have a face (pretty bizarre, but also captivating). Also needless to say, the wife is about to have a break down. Hearing MH was pushing it, but hearing it and seeing a deer head move is all but too much....

Once I get the cable hooked up, I will make a small video clip. If anyone is interested in seeing it, send me an email and I will email it to you directly.

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Neil Cherry
Thomas Harding wrote:

> Ok, my long awaited desire has come true. For years I have wanted a
> mechanical head that would move when MH speaks. I have had some interest
> for some time in those mounted "Buck" heads at Wal-Mart that move and
> sing. But at $100, I was hesitant. I thought it would be an interesting
> project to take one apart and build a robot or android head to use with
> MH. They have a function where you can plug in an audio source and it
> will animate to the sound. Well, I went in the other day and one was on
> clearance for $35! Needless to say, it is hanging in my livingroom now.
> All I need is a longer cable to plug it into the PC. So, now MH will
> have a face (pretty bizarre, but also captivating). Also needless to
> say, the wife is about to have a break down. Hearing MH was pushing it,
> but hearing it and seeing a deer head move is all but too much....
>
> Once I get the cable hooked up, I will make a small video clip. If
> anyone is interested in seeing it, send me an email and I will email it
> to you directly.

You might consider getting one of those 900Mhz devices that permits
you to send data serially. I haven't used on but you won't need a
long cable. If you do need a long cable consider building a RJ45
cable and hooking up the DB9 or 25 appropriately. Follow the pinning
for Cisco routers.

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Thomas Harding-2
The audio input is a standard headpune plug (1/8 inch plug). I plan on
picking up a headphone extension cable from Radio Shack (about $10). The
head is only about 6' from the PC, but in order conceal the cable, I will
need about 10-12'.

>> Ok, my long awaited desire has come true. For years I have wanted a
>> mechanical head that would move when MH speaks. I have had some interest
>> for some time in those mounted "Buck" heads at Wal-Mart that move and
>> sing. But at $100, I was hesitant. I thought it would be an interesting
>> project to take one apart and build a robot or android head to use with
>> MH. They have a function where you can plug in an audio source and it
>> will animate to the sound. Well, I went in the other day and one was on
>> clearance for $35! Needless to say, it is hanging in my livingroom now.
>> All I need is a longer cable to plug it into the PC. So, now MH will have
>> a face (pretty bizarre, but also captivating). Also needless to say, the
>> wife is about to have a break down. Hearing MH was pushing it, but
>> hearing it and seeing a deer head move is all but too much....
>>  Once I get the cable hooked up, I will make a small video clip. If
>> anyone is interested in seeing it, send me an email and I will email it
>> to you directly.
>
> You might consider getting one of those 900Mhz devices that permits
> you to send data serially. I haven't used on but you won't need a
> long cable. If you do need a long cable consider building a RJ45
> cable and hooking up the DB9 or 25 appropriately. Follow the pinning
> for Cisco routers.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       [hidden email]
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

RE: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Jim Serack
Is it a Deer or a Moose - as in MooserHouse...

Jim Serack wrote:
> Is it a Deer or a Moose - as in MooserHouse...

I found a wireless buck for almost $300 dollars! No I didn't buy
it. I think I'll pass. I have the talking fish and an EZ80 board
(w/Ethernet) maybe I can drive my wife crazy with that. ;-)

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Dave Stenhouse
Thomas Harding wrote:

> The audio input is a standard headpune plug (1/8 inch plug). I plan on
> picking up a headphone extension cable from Radio Shack (about $10).
> The head is only about 6' from the PC, but in order conceal the cable,
> I will need about 10-12'.

Oh man oh man oh man...  Your wife hasn't got a gun, has she?
I must say, the next time my in-laws go out of town, this setup will be
installed as the high-tech practical joke of the year!
I love it!!
-Dave

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Joey French-2
That is insane. My girl would have me out in the street, quick like.

Joey French

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Jeff-71
I have to agree,
 This is the funniest mh application I have heard since the guy who added the 'flushing toilet' wav sound to his floorplan as hotspots many years ago.

At 8:47 PM -0600 1/29/06, Dave Stenhouse wrote:

>Thomas Harding wrote:
>
>> The audio input is a standard headpune plug (1/8 inch plug). I plan on
>> picking up a headphone extension cable from Radio Shack (about $10).
>> The head is only about 6' from the PC, but in order conceal the cable,
>> I will need about 10-12'.
>
>Oh man oh man oh man...  Your wife hasn't got a gun, has she?
>I must say, the next time my in-laws go out of town, this setup will be
>installed as the high-tech practical joke of the year!
>I love it!!
>-Dave

Jeff Pagel, MIEEE
jeff AT pagel D0T net  http://www.pagel.net (715)359-8033 Cell:(715)551-9283

RE: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

ricks03

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHRISTMAS-ANIMATED-SINGING-MOOSE-LIGHTED-KURT-S-ADLER_W0QQitemZ6599608341QQcategoryZ908QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At 08:40 PM 1/29/2006, Jim Serack wrote:

>Is it a Deer or a Moose - as in MooserHouse...

Rick Steeves
[hidden email]                               http://www.sinister.net

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Thomas Harding-2
Being a total gadget freak (my license plates acually say "Gadgets"), I find
it hard to pass on something like this. As I said before, for years now I
have wanted something like an animatronic head to move when MH speaks. My
first thought was a robot head, then I thought about one of those life size
Santas, then Mr Clause (with an apron, she woudl look like a maid). But now,
this "Buck" is acually pretty decent. At $100 it is a steal, but at $35 I
could not pass. What amazes me is the detail. At a distance of about 10', it
is almost impossible to tell it is fake. And the quality of movement is
simply amazing.  Has anying one seen the new animatronic money head Sharper
Image is selling? It seems this is the year of animatronics. I just found a
video slip of the HiTec RoboNova-1 the other day. Simply stunning. Now if it
were a little bigger, and we could install MH on a palm size micro PC and
attach it, MH could be mobile. I predict in about 5 years one of you will be
doing something like this....

But for now, at least MH has a face in my house, and another feature towards
realizm. One step closer to being alive :) Now if I could just get an ATT
Real Voice that sounded like HAL....

> This is the funniest mh application I have heard since the guy who added
> the 'flushing toilet' wav sound to his floorplan as hotspots many years
> ago.
>
> At 8:47 PM -0600 1/29/06, Dave Stenhouse wrote:
>>Thomas Harding wrote:
>>
>>> The audio input is a standard headpune plug (1/8 inch plug). I plan on
>>> picking up a headphone extension cable from Radio Shack (about $10).
>>> The head is only about 6' from the PC, but in order conceal the cable,
>>> I will need about 10-12'.
>>
>>Oh man oh man oh man...  Your wife hasn't got a gun, has she?
>>I must say, the next time my in-laws go out of town, this setup will be
>>installed as the high-tech practical joke of the year!
>>I love it!!
>>-Dave
>
> Jeff Pagel, MIEEE
> jeff AT pagel D0T net  http://www.pagel.net (715)359-8033
> Cell:(715)551-9283

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

John Liss
Hey Tomas,

If you get it up and running, we want some video of it!!
-John

Thomas Harding sat down at the console on 1/30/2006 2:21 AM, and madly
banged out:

> Being a total gadget freak (my license plates acually say "Gadgets"),
> I find it hard to pass on something like this. As I said before, for
> years now I have wanted something like an animatronic head to move
> when MH speaks. My first thought was a robot head, then I thought
> about one of those life size Santas, then Mr Clause (with an apron,
> she woudl look like a maid). But now, this "Buck" is acually pretty
> decent. At $100 it is a steal, but at $35 I could not pass. What
> amazes me is the detail. At a distance of about 10', it is almost
> impossible to tell it is fake. And the quality of movement is simply
> amazing.  Has anying one seen the new animatronic money head Sharper
> Image is selling? It seems this is the year of animatronics. I just
> found a video slip of the HiTec RoboNova-1 the other day. Simply
> stunning. Now if it were a little bigger, and we could install MH on a
> palm size micro PC and attach it, MH could be mobile. I predict in
> about 5 years one of you will be doing something like this....
>
> But for now, at least MH has a face in my house, and another feature
> towards realizm. One step closer to being alive :) Now if I could just
> get an ATT Real Voice that sounded like HAL....
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff" <[hidden email]>

Callahan, Timothy
If I recall correctly, the deer also has FM radio as an audio source.
You can make a wireless deer head by connecting a FM transmitter to your
PC's audio output.  (Then you can put a deer in every room- with
synchronized audio!)  The cheaper FM transmitters shouldn't have any
problem with ~6 ft distances.

I've always planned on using a whole house FM transmitter (more powerful
than the small ones used for MP3->car radio) to transmit MH audio around
the house and yard.  Using FM as the "standard" for audio opens the door
to a world of other "standards based" equipment...
Tim

"Thomas Harding" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> The audio input is a standard headpune plug (1/8 inch plug). I plan on
> picking up a headphone extension cable from Radio Shack (about $10).
The
> head is only about 6' from the PC, but in order conceal the cable, I
will

> need about 10-12'.

SPLUNK!

> files for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that
> makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD
> SPLUNK!

Re: Animated head for MH (it's alive!!!)

Thomas Harding-2
The deer does not have built in FM radio. You can connect an FM radio to it
(or any audio source). You must be speaking of another deer head (I didnot
know there was another). On theFM trasmitter idea, that woudl work, but it
wouldspeak to all at the same time, not each room or outside speaker
independantly as most would prefer.