Animated face

Thomas Harding-7
Just getting back into MH after an absence. I have been using MH for many years now (10+), and have always wanted an animated face. Now that animation has gotten better and more mainstream, I thought I would see if I could find an animated face to go with my MH installation (ours is called "Rosie", after the famous robot on The Jetsons. I even have ATT natural female voice, but no face).

So far I found this:

http://www.imagineerieing.com/mirror_mirror.html

It does not use sound card input to animate the mouth, but it does use the microphone input. So simply placing a mic in front of the speakers makes the mouth move when Rosie (MH) speaks. Of course, I would like a face more appropriate, but for now, it will work. In the end, I would like to build a robot body, and put a 7" monitor in place for the face with software running that animates the face when speech is produced.

As far as the PC I am using, I recently got a low power system off ebay and it runs MH perfectly, and uses much lower power then my old dual core system. XP Pro is the OS, so I need something that will run on windows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250540444407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1118wt_1166

If anyone knows of a better animated face program (something more customizable maybe), please pass the info along.

Re: Animated face

David Norwood-3
Although it hasn't been updated in almost two years, this project looks
promising:

http://xface.itc.it/news/index.htm

I downloaded it for windows and it ran fine, including client server mode.
I haven't figured out how to make her speak English yet.

David

> Just getting back into MH after an absence. I have been using MH for many
> years now (10+), and have always wanted an animated face. Now that
> animation has gotten better and more mainstream, I thought I would see if
> I could find an animated face to go with my MH installation (ours is
> called "Rosie", after the famous robot on The Jetsons. I even have ATT
> natural female voice, but no face).
>
> So far I found this:
>
> http://www.imagineerieing.com/mirror_mirror.html
>
> It does not use sound card input to animate the mouth, but it does use the
> microphone input. So simply placing a mic in front of the speakers makes
> the mouth move when Rosie (MH) speaks. Of course, I would like a face more
> appropriate, but for now, it will work. In the end, I would like to build
> a robot body, and put a 7" monitor in place for the face with software
> running that animates the face when speech is produced.
>
> As far as the PC I am using, I recently got a low power system off ebay
> and it runs MH perfectly, and uses much lower power then my old dual core
> system. XP Pro is the OS, so I need something that will run on windows.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250540444407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1118wt_1166
>
> If anyone knows of a better animated face program (something more
> customizable maybe), please pass the info along.

Re: Animated face

Thomas Harding-7
Thanks. I will take a look. But in the last few days I decided to build an animatronic head. I changed my "Rosie" to "Hal" (changed the voice to male and plan to make a male head). The benefit to an animatronic head is it will offload the processing power from the PC. I hope to have a working model in a couple weeks or so.

On Dec 18, 2009, at 9:13 PM, David Norwood wrote:

> Although it hasn't been updated in almost two years, this project looks
> promising:
>
> http://xface.itc.it/news/index.htm
>
> I downloaded it for windows and it ran fine, including client server mode.
> I haven't figured out how to make her speak English yet.
>
> David

biggus
If you're going the animatronix route, a good base could be the Boris talking skull.  I use that and the jaw moves in sync with the speech and eyes light up when it talks.  I think a few others on this list are also using Boris.

--- In [hidden email], Thomas Harding <thomasharding@...> wrote:

> Thanks. I will take a look. But in the last few days I decided to build an animatronic head. I changed my "Rosie" to "Hal" (changed the voice to male and plan to make a male head). The benefit to an animatronic head is it will offload the processing power from the PC. I hope to have a working model in a couple weeks or so.
>

> On Dec 18, 2009, at 9:13 PM, David Norwood wrote:
>
> > Although it hasn't been updated in almost two years, this project looks
> > promising:
> >
> > http://xface.itc.it/news/index.htm
> >
> > I downloaded it for windows and it ran fine, including client server mode.
> > I haven't figured out how to make her speak English yet.
> >
> > David

w20090329.mh
Check out the pinball machine "Funhouse":
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=966

Maybe you can find an old Rudy head...
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=966&picno=21285
<http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=966&picno=21285>

Mouth and eyes both move!

On 12/21/2009 8:40 AM, storemike wrote:

> If you're going the animatronix route, a good base could be the Boris talking skull.  I use that and the jaw moves in sync with the speech and eyes light up when it talks.  I think a few others on this list are also using Boris.
>
> --- In [hidden email], Thomas Harding<thomasharding@...>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I will take a look. But in the last few days I decided to build an animatronic head. I changed my "Rosie" to "Hal" (changed the voice to male and plan to make a male head). The benefit to an animatronic head is it will offload the processing power from the PC. I hope to have a working model in a couple weeks or so.
>>

>> On Dec 18, 2009, at 9:13 PM, David Norwood wrote:
>>

>>> Although it hasn't been updated in almost two years, this project looks
>>> promising:
>>>
>>> http://xface.itc.it/news/index.htm
>>>
>>> I downloaded it for windows and it ran fine, including client server mode.
>>> I haven't figured out how to make her speak English yet.
>>>
>>> David

Thanks! I wish I had known about this before starting on my project. I have one of those animated Bucks (the mounted deer head) and already tore it down to get the PC board, and servos/motors. I also have plastic eyes coming from China and just got my latex mask to cover everything. But this Boris would have been MUCH easier to work with. Oh well, if this does not work out as planned, then Boris might be my next attempt.

Thanks again,

Tom