Quantcast

4.2 release feedback

H Plato
Stable has been updated and synchronized with master. I’ve been running 4.2 all weekend on my production setup without any showstoppers.

It would be great to hear of a few more successful upgrades before formally releasing 4.2. Jim, did you figure out the problem with your upgrade?

Re: 4.2 release feedback

Serge Martel (smartel)
Can you guys help me with the proper way to safely upgrade to 4.2. I usually move my folder to a safe place than issue the git command to clone the folder and copy my code directory and ini file over to the new folder. Is that correct or is there a better way?

Thank you!

Envoyé de mon iPad

> Le 12 mars 2017 à 20:47, H Plato <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Stable has been updated and synchronized with master. I’ve been running 4.2 all weekend on my production setup without any showstoppers.
>
> It would be great to hear of a few more successful upgrades before formally releasing 4.2. Jim, did you figure out the problem with your upgrade?

Re: 4.2 release feedback

H Plato
You know, that’s a great question. I’m sure someone has figured out a simple method. I’d be interested in hearing from others what they do.

Since I’ve been …surprised… by git in the past, I take a much more conservative approach.

 I have two git folders:

git-prod-a
git-prod-b

and a symlink git-prod that either points to git-prod-a or git-prod-b.

All my code, data, and mh.private.ini files are in a separate directory.

In my git root, I have a master branch and a running branch. Master is pulled from my master, and running has my local changes.  MH runs from the ‘running’ branch.

To upgrade, I go into the folder that the symlink _doesn’t_ point to, switch to master, and then pull down the latest update.  I then switch to my running branch and then merge in master.  There will be conflicts. I then keep my locally changed files with:

git checkout --ours path/to/file
git add path/to/file

then

git commit

Now I stop MH, change the symlink to the alternative folder, and then start up MH again.

For me the benefit of this approach is that if something breaks, I have my ‘last known good’ configuration that is untouched and easily revertable to. I know with git it’s possible to revert and reset to HEAD…but for me everytime that git doesn’t quite work how I expect, it’s a few hours figuring out the steps for the fix. While I waste space with 2 separate copies, having a simple process to revert has saved me on a few occasions.

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 7:12 PM, Serge Martel (smartel) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can you guys help me with the proper way to safely upgrade to 4.2. I usually move my folder to a safe place than issue the git command to clone the folder and copy my code directory and ini file over to the new folder. Is that correct or is there a better way?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Envoyé de mon iPad
>
>> Le 12 mars 2017 à 20:47, H Plato <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Stable has been updated and synchronized with master. I’ve been running 4.2 all weekend on my production setup without any showstoppers.
>>
>> It would be great to hear of a few more successful upgrades before formally releasing 4.2. Jim, did you figure out the problem with your upgrade?

Re: 4.2 release feedback

Lieven Hollevoet
Hello Serge,

I’ve documented my setup here: https://github.com/hollie/misterhouse/wiki/Getting-started#recommended-way-to-install-misterhouse

To update, clone the new version, adapt the launcher script to run the new folder, to revert it, just adapt the script back.

Best regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 13 mrt. 2017, om 02:12 heeft Serge Martel (smartel) <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Can you guys help me with the proper way to safely upgrade to 4.2. I usually move my folder to a safe place than issue the git command to clone the folder and copy my code directory and ini file over to the new folder. Is that correct or is there a better way?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Envoyé de mon iPad
>
>> Le 12 mars 2017 à 20:47, H Plato <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Stable has been updated and synchronized with master. I’ve been running 4.2 all weekend on my production setup without any showstoppers.
>>
>> It would be great to hear of a few more successful upgrades before formally releasing 4.2. Jim, did you figure out the problem with your upgrade?

Re: 4.2 release feedback

Lieven Hollevoet
Hey Howard,

Running stable 4.2 since Saturday morning on my production machine. All seems to be working fine!

Kind regards,
 Lieven.

> Op 13 mrt. 2017, om 01:40 heeft H Plato <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Stable has been updated and synchronized with master. I’ve been running 4.2 all weekend on my production setup without any showstoppers.
>
> It would be great to hear of a few more successful upgrades before formally releasing 4.2. Jim, did you figure out the problem with your upgrade?

Re: 4.2 release feedback

Serge Martel (smartel)
Wow, your setup is way more advanced than mine!

I'll stick with Lieven's suggestion combined with mine, create a separate directory for my personal files, my running mh, and clone the update into a new directory. Adapt my starting script to start it. Sounds safe and simple, the way I like it, I don't like ...surprises, when it comes to my automation system!

Thank you guys,
Serge

Envoyé de mon iPad